U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 03:27 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,195,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I doubt no one will deny Richard Petty is the best in NASCAR as a driver. It is unfortunate he has not had success as an owner, and his grandson Adam was killed in a accident at New Hampshire in 2000. The Petty family beyond Richard does not have the funds or the interest to be involved in NASCAR competition.
Most of Pettys wins came when there were more than 43 races in a year, more like 80 races a year, and not all on Sundays or weekend races. A lot were during the week, and there were also drivers who would go to more than one race in a day/night. Cant say The King ever did that though. Regardless, you cant compare King Richard to anything or anyone currently, or really since the late 70s. I'm sure there are other drivers, who put in the same racing deals the King had, have won over 200 races, so does that make them the king? Ill say it - Richard Petty is NOT the best, but was in his time!

UpstateJohn - Probably the KINGS biggest fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 04:02 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
UJ i wonder how many drivers today would have put up with conditions that petty did when he was racing. for instance back in pettys day, you had two, perhaps three race cars, one of which was back at the shop being readied for the next race. you didnt have 15 or so race cars which were set up for particular tracks. you also didnt have much in the way of aero devices either, a small trunk lid spoiler about 2 1/2" tall, a front spoiler that ran about half the width of the car and was perhaps 3" tall. you had to run truly stock bodies with roll cages. you didnt have the pit equipment they have now, you barely had impact wrenches, and they were stock off the shelf models. these days they are custom built. same with the floor jacks, back in the day they were also off the shelf models, todays are also custom built.

back in the day you could change engines if you blew one up and go back to racing. pit crews back then could change an engine in like 12 minutes, and just because you blew motor didnt mean you would lose the race. many drivers came back from a blown engine to win a race, petty did it a few times.

back then you had no power steering, no climate controls, no in car air freshening systems, etc. in fact many drivers in that era didnt wear the fire suits used today, often times they drove in jeans and a T shirt, only a helmet was required equipment for the driver.

also the cars did not have all the adjustments they do today. back then you could jack the weight screws around a bit, and add a wedge between the spring and the rear axle to change the pinion angle. tires didnt have any where near the grip they have today, in fact modern street tires are better than race tires back then.

back then the use of the chrome horn was a regular thing, as was trading paint down the straights and into the corners. brakes back then were a joke at best back then, and were drum brakes all around.

there were other things as well. so pettys feat of winning 200 races in a career is nothing to dismiss. few drivers today, and even as far back as the early 80s in fact, could even come close to what petty did.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Most of Pettys wins came when there were more than 43 races in a year, more like 80 races a year, and not all on Sundays or weekend races. A lot were during the week, and there were also drivers who would go to more than one race in a day/night. Cant say The King ever did that though. Regardless, you cant compare King Richard to anything or anyone currently, or really since the late 70s. I'm sure there are other drivers, who put in the same racing deals the King had, have won over 200 races, so does that make them the king? Ill say it - Richard Petty is NOT the best, but was in his time!

UpstateJohn - Probably the KINGS biggest fan!
To me, Petty's biggest advantage was the fact that he had a sponsor. A big time sponsor. There were only 3 or 4 other drivers that could compete with him for wins. His 27 wins in a season will NEVER be equaled.

But.. as was mentioned.. You put today's drivers in his car.. They'd fall out after 20 laps. The fact he's still alive.. It's been well documented that he lived off Goody's Powders and has the stomach (or lack thereof) to prove it.

But.. What makes him the King isn't necessarily the wins.. It was (and is) his interaction and how he treated the fans. Stories are all out there about him winning a race and staying 3 to 4 hours afterwards to sign autographs. Nowadays.. Drivers are locked up in their motorhomes or jetting back home unless they're being paid for a promotional appearance or part of a sponsor deal. This might be something to add to the NASCAR popularity topic.. I've noticed this change significantly in the past 20 years or so.. Drivers used to be massively accessible. Not so much anymore.

Kyle will catch and pass him for the 200 NASCAR wins.. but noone will ever come close to his 200 wins in Cup. It's apples and oranges to compare the two.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:26 AM

3,033 posts, read 2,195,358 times
I met Richard multiple times over the years, was at his last race, and youre right, he stayed for hours after a race was over. Most of the time I was with a friend who wanted an autograph and he always, I mean ALWAYS remembered my name. Dale Sr had come to town for an autograph session, (Labonte18 will recall the events at the Expo Center). I had him sign a real 1 dollar bill, since I forgot to bring my autograph book and all I had was a dollar bill. He signed, made a comment about that's the only one hes ever signed. I saw him 2 years later at Charlotte, and he remembered me! Saw him like 4 years later, again at Charlotte, and he still remembered me. Yu wont find a driver now a days that will do that!

Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I met Richard multiple times over the years, was at his last race, and youre right, he stayed for hours after a race was over. Most of the time I was with a friend who wanted an autograph and he always, I mean ALWAYS remembered my name. Dale Sr had come to town for an autograph session, (Labonte18 will recall the events at the Expo Center). I had him sign a real 1 dollar bill, since I forgot to bring my autograph book and all I had was a dollar bill. He signed, made a comment about that's the only one hes ever signed. I saw him 2 years later at Charlotte, and he remembered me! Saw him like 4 years later, again at Charlotte, and he still remembered me. Yu wont find a driver now a days that will do that!
yeah, the guy from that era were more in tune with the fans than they are today, but even then they meet so many people that often times even they wouldnt necessarily remember someone unless they did something like what you did to make yourself memorable. most drivers never signed real money, so you were memorable.

this comes from a guy that used interact with a hundred people a day when i was working. i would remember faces, i was lousy with names though, and after a while i would forget both unless that person did something that made me remember them.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,013,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Kyle will catch and pass him for the 200 NASCAR wins.. but noone will ever come close to his 200 wins in Cup. It's apples and oranges to compare the two.
Um, no. Nobody is ever going to have 200 Cup wins.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Um, no. Nobody is ever going to have 200 Cup wins.
Well, thank you for repeating exactly what I said.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:23 PM

so kyle busch moves on to the next round, and ricky stenhouse holds the current tie breaker over austin dillon. next week is going to be a tumble for sure.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,579,451 times
I appreciate the stand that some team owners took on the national anthem issue, such as Petty and Childress.

Since I stopped watching that joke of a football league called the NFL, I tuned in and watched a good portion of the race Sunday.

The race still was a bit boring. Hope next week is more interesting.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 AM

i doubt that you will find any teams protesting like the crybaby football players did over the weekend. racers dont do things like that. it wasnt nascar, but back in the early 80s, the NHRA pro stock drivers seriously considered forming a drivers union, they envisioned one that would expand to include other racing bodies as well, but in the end they realized that a union would be counterproductive to them, since most racers, even at the professional level, owned their own cars, and the ones that didnt would not join because the car owners would drop them in a heartbeat and it would be very difficult to get on with a new team until the end of the season.

no i doubt seriously that any driver or crew member will show disrespect by kneeling during the national anthem, since far too many people would turn on them, and they would be ostracized from the racing community, and they dont want to risk that ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing