U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,523,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sounds like it is time to burn down nascar, and start over with people that know how to put on a race.
Yes indeed !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM

890 posts, read 1,532,455 times
So, what is this? The 5th different way to determine a champion in the last 13 years? Good job Brian. It's one thing to not be able to compare JJ's 7 with Earnhardt and Petty. But to have no real link among the last 13 should get you fired.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:52 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
I don't like basically having 3 winners (potentially) from every race. HOW does that NOT DEVALUE winning.. one guys wins the first 2 segments and then someone finally gets his car right and comes on in the 3rd segment to win. yet the guy who won the first two segments gets just as many points (maybe?) and is just as happy and his fans.. they are happy.. I want to be POed when Jr leads 2/3s of a race but loses in the end...

I don't like yellow flags at the end of the segments. Yellow flags kill the leaders and anyone whose car comes alive because maybe they run better on older tires, momentum. The leader could be pulling away, lapping the field and BAM, yellow flag.. restart.. but hey, YOU WON the segment.. here is your trophy!!!

WHERE the HELL are all these fans screaming they want EVERY RACE to mean something and they want their DRIVER to be rewarded MORE for having a good/great race despite NOT winning..??? WTH!? EVERY RACE does mean something to me.. to me its all about the race.. not the Championship (coming from a fan whose driver(s) has never won a Championship, but still)> Every race has meaning to me.. I got the biggest thrill when Jr won Martinsville a years back despite being kicked out of the Chase a few races prior.. that race meant a whole LOT to me and JR as well..

I get the idea.. your spreading the wealth.. 3 races every Sunday giving more DRIVERS (fans) a chance to go home happy.. but that absolutely diminishes the 3rd segment race winner. When you start seeing point totals on TV and FOX is talking about how many SEGMENTS Kyle Busch has won this year and we ignore the fact that Kevin Harvick has more Race wins yet is a few spots below Kyle in the points.. you will get my idea.. I DON'T LIKE THIS! But hey, like is said before... I am all about the RACE and not the Championship... If Jr Wins Daytona or Dega I am tickled pink.. NASCAR can tally up the points and make sure that every body in the garage and stands goes home happy, but i will go home on cloud 9.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
As much as I hate "new" rules I am going to have a wait and see with this latest revamp.
Since the drivers council and the TV media was involved and not just Brian France maybe they have hit onto something that will keep and maybe even add more people in the stands.

For those "fans" who are only TV NASCAR fans I think you need to get off your asses and get out to the track to see what it's all about.

Just like any sport it's always better in person but when one driver takes off in the sunset on lap 100 and there are 200 more laps to go it gets pretty boring waiting for the end.

I'm gonna give it a chance.

Just like our favorite POTUS said "what have you got to lose"

Lets wait for the alt facts to come in.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 AM

PDD,
well.. this might make xfinity races more exciting.. probably not.. I see 3 Gibbs cars winning all 3 segments 90% of the time..

I have seen all the major spots in person and on TV... and i agree they are all more exciting LIVE but none so much as a NASCAR race. There is nothing to compare to 43 cars roaring past you towards the green flag.. Nothing in major sports like it..

Last edited by mco65; 01-24-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,523,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As much as I hate "new" rules I am going to have a wait and see with this latest revamp.
Since the drivers council and the TV media was involved and not just Brian France maybe they have hit onto something that will keep and maybe even add more people in the stands.

For those "fans" who are only TV NASCAR fans I think you need to get off your asses and get out to the track to see what it's all about.

Just like any sport it's always better in person but when one driver takes off in the sunset on lap 100 and there are 200 more laps to go it gets pretty boring waiting for the end.

I'm gonna give it a chance.

Just like our favorite POTUS said "what have you got to lose"

Lets wait for the alt facts to come in.
( 2nd paragraph )

A little easier for you to " get off your ass" and attend a race at the track ( you live in North Carolina )

Those of us who live a long ways from a track would have to spend a lot of money $$$$$$$$$$$ ( travel, lodging, tickets ) to go in person.

One can still be a NASCAR, MLB or NFL fan even if the distance and cost of tickets makes attending those events cost prohibitive.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
( 2nd paragraph )

A little easier for you to " get off your ass" and attend a race at the track ( you live in North Carolina )

Those of us who live a long ways from a track would have to spend a lot of money $$$$$$$$$$$ ( travel, lodging, tickets ) to go in person.

One can still be a NASCAR, MLB or NFL fan even if the distance and cost of tickets makes attending those events cost prohibitive.
That's fair and I agree but there are some TV only fans who do live close by and can't be bothered.

My first visits to Daytona required a plane ticket and hotel accommodations when I lived in the Northeast.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 AM

David,
I don't begrudge those fans who can't make it to the track.. Heck i get that.. more than most..
But if you ever get to go.. trust me, GO! There IS NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD..

I will never forget our first trip to Daytona with my young son.. i put these head set (ear protectors) on him to drown out the noise but he wanted to hear the roar.. when that pack of 43 cars came flying past at 200 mph, it nearly lifted him off his seat. My son didn't want NOTHING to do with those ear protectors.. he wanted to FEEL the race.. you can HONESTLY FEEL it.. NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
I'll probably have to get a statistician intern to keep up with the new format, but I'll see how it plays out. Worse case scenario I'm out beer and some wings.
NACSAR will never return to the so called glory days because the "old" fans pouted off into the sunset when tracks raised ticket prices, because no other major sport has ever raised ticket prices ; NASCAR abandoned it's fan base by shutting down tracks and catered to "fake" fans, in spite of the fact only two tracks have actually closed and the building of new tracks allowed fans in those areas to be closer to a facility and west coast fans couldn't possibly be as big a fan as someone from the south
While name recognition is key the mantra of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" is long gone. The cars being raced on the track do not have the same appeal to the younger generation(s) as the cars did in the prime. The only car that was true to form was the SS and it seems most kids that are into tuning cars are of the F&F generation none of which are represented in the NASCAR line up.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So was Stewart. So was Harvick. They all do seem to grow out of it, mostly.
Waltrip, Earnhardt Sr..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing