U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,233,952 times

Advertisements

WFW&P there might be something to the disconnect with kids not really getting into cars.. but i don't think you have to turn a wrench to be interested, you just need to sit behind the wheel. Most kids have easy access to other sports like baseball, football, basketball but few will have access to gocart racing.. I think if NASCAR did a better job promoting GoCart racing and building some tracks they have more success attracting younger fans. There are a few gocart tracks in my area.. one just north of here (paved) that requires a few pints of blood and my first born to race there... You could RENT one of their carts but it will cost you another kid.. or you can bring your own cart and cost is about a months salary.. another just south of here (dirt) that is bare bones as you get.. just show up on the weekend with your cart and race for a small entrance fee>>> Even if i had a cart, how would i get it there..i suppose if i bought cart, i would be smart enough to buy a trailer as well.. crap, now i need a truck to pull it with. lets go toss a baseball instead.

REgardless, a cart is 4k.. but if your like me. i just want a place where i can take my son.. rent a cart and he can race.. That way the commitment and investment is minimal. As it is now, its just out of reach for MOST folks and because of that, they opt for the $20 football to toss around.. who blames 'em.

OF course, turning a wrench would be cheaper.. and could solve the same problem with interest but that's really a whole nother story.. who works on their own cars these days??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,537,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
David,
I don't begrudge those fans who can't make it to the track.. Heck i get that.. more than most..
But if you ever get to go.. trust me, GO! There IS NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD..

I will never forget our first trip to Daytona with my young son.. i put these head set (ear protectors) on him to drown out the noise but he wanted to hear the roar.. when that pack of 43 cars came flying past at 200 mph, it nearly lifted him off his seat. My son didn't want NOTHING to do with those ear protectors.. he wanted to FEEL the race.. you can HONESTLY FEEL it.. NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

My son took a charter bus trip to Kansas City a few years back.

I did take the tour of Talladega while visiting Alabama in late August and did take the tour of Bristol while using my son's time share at Gatlinburg.

Yes, both tour guides said being there in person is simply amazing.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,930,804 times
Quote:
David,
I don't begrudge those fans who can't make it to the track.. Heck i get that.. more than most..
But if you ever get to go.. trust me, GO! There IS NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD..

I will never forget our first trip to Daytona with my young son.. i put these head set (ear protectors) on him to drown out the noise but he wanted to hear the roar.. when that pack of 43 cars came flying past at 200 mph, it nearly lifted him off his seat. My son didn't want NOTHING to do with those ear protectors.. he wanted to FEEL the race.. you can HONESTLY FEEL it.. NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
Totally agree that being at the race gives you a different point of view than TV and I do try to get to all the tracks at least once. Same can be said for baseball stadiums. I grew up watching Yankee games on TV but the first time I got to actually go to the ballpark made the later TV watching better.

That being said I have found that to watch the race sitting in front of a DVR equipped TV gives me the most in depth view of a race.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 PM

9,444 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:
David,

I've been to Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, Bristol, Richmond, Darlington and Martinsville.

Richmond.. I know what you're talking about.. I had always gone to Charlotte before that and.. You don't really need ear protection at Charlotte. At least, when they had my favorite Diamond Tower Terrace where I always sat. My ears were ringing for MONTHS after the Richmond race.

Of all those.. Charlotte/Kansas/Texas were the best race experiences. Richmond was the best racing with Iowa and Martinsville being close seconds.

Atlanta and Darlington.. I wouldn't go back to.. Though I *MIGHT* reconsider Darlington again. And possibly Atlanta again a year or two after the repave as racing seems to get alot better there after that..

Bristol was miserable. It was back in the single-lane racing days, and bench seats with numbers on them, and a woman whose ass covered 4 of the numbers.

Never got to go to the Rock or Wilkesboro, which are two that I'd love to have seen a race at. Did drive by Wilkesboro after it closed, but that's not the same.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've been to Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, Bristol, Richmond, Darlington and Martinsville.

Richmond.. I know what you're talking about.. I had always gone to Charlotte before that and.. You don't really need ear protection at Charlotte. At least, when they had my favorite Diamond Tower Terrace where I always sat. My ears were ringing for MONTHS after the Richmond race.

Of all those.. Charlotte/Kansas/Texas were the best race experiences. Richmond was the best racing with Iowa and Martinsville being close seconds.

Atlanta and Darlington.. I wouldn't go back to.. Though I *MIGHT* reconsider Darlington again. And possibly Atlanta again a year or two after the repave as racing seems to get alot better there after that..

Bristol was miserable. It was back in the single-lane racing days, and bench seats with numbers on them, and a woman whose ass covered 4 of the numbers.

Never got to go to the Rock or Wilkesboro, which are two that I'd love to have seen a race at. Did drive by Wilkesboro after it closed, but that's not the same.
I went to the Rock a few times and those races were really long. I recall really, really, long green flag runs.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
WFW&P there might be something to the disconnect with kids not really getting into cars.. but i don't think you have to turn a wrench to be interested, you just need to sit behind the wheel. Most kids have easy access to other sports like baseball, football, basketball but few will have access to gocart racing.. I think if NASCAR did a better job promoting GoCart racing and building some tracks they have more success attracting younger fans. There are a few gocart tracks in my area.. one just north of here (paved) that requires a few pints of blood and my first born to race there... You could RENT one of their carts but it will cost you another kid.. or you can bring your own cart and cost is about a months salary.. another just south of here (dirt) that is bare bones as you get.. just show up on the weekend with your cart and race for a small entrance fee>>> Even if i had a cart, how would i get it there..i suppose if i bought cart, i would be smart enough to buy a trailer as well.. crap, now i need a truck to pull it with. lets go toss a baseball instead.

REgardless, a cart is 4k.. but if your like me. i just want a place where i can take my son.. rent a cart and he can race.. That way the commitment and investment is minimal. As it is now, its just out of reach for MOST folks and because of that, they opt for the $20 football to toss around.. who blames 'em.

OF course, turning a wrench would be cheaper.. and could solve the same problem with interest but that's really a whole nother story.. who works on their own cars these days??
There is a joke that floats around- if you want to make a small fortune take a large one and go racing.
It's not cheap no matter how you shake it.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,233,952 times
We did just recently have a K1 Speed (indoor) goCart track open up recently. Its more recreation.. they provide the Carts and they are electric.. I have been meaning to stop by and check it out just haven't had the chance, its not along any route i usually take but still its only a couple miles out of my way... has anyone heard of K1 Speed? They appear to be a chain with tracks across the country..

https://www.k1speed.com/locations.html

Old 01-25-2017, 04:30 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,969,047 times
We have this carting facility in Jacksonville: Indoor Go-Karting in Jacksonville, FL | Autobahn Indoor Speedway

I would really like to get the twins started in an old double cart so I could ride along until they get the feel for it and then maybe splurge a bit at the indoor cart tracks. They love speed and it could be something be all all share in.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I went to the Rock a few times and those races were really long. I recall really, really, long green flag runs.
They weren't all that long, because generally the drivers were screaming to pit because the tires had worn out.

The last few races there.. 1998 to 2004 were really good ones. Track had worn.. Tires would wear.. You had some great finishes, similar to Atlanta after the last repave.

I love races where the fastest car on the restart isn't the fastest during the middle of a run, and whoever's fastest in the middle isn't the fastest at the end.

I also remember Carl Long, I believe it was, winding up on his roof there in the last year or two of its Cup Series run.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They weren't all that long, because generally the drivers were screaming to pit because the tires had worn out.

The last few races there.. 1998 to 2004 were really good ones. Track had worn.. Tires would wear.. You had some great finishes, similar to Atlanta after the last repave.

I love races where the fastest car on the restart isn't the fastest during the middle of a run, and whoever's fastest in the middle isn't the fastest at the end.

I also remember Carl Long, I believe it was, winding up on his roof there in the last year or two of its Cup Series run.
My last trips there was back when Kyle Petty was winning.
I like that style racing too, but it seems nearly nonexistent anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing