U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM

7,339 posts, read 15,401,262 times

Advertisements

Wrong thread, I think. There are a couple NASCAR-specific threads in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM

8,048 posts, read 5,925,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Wrong thread, I think. There are a couple NASCAR-specific threads in this forum.
You talking to me or Searchers?
I was making that post as historical evidence of why allowing engine and transmission changes without penalties is a bad idea. Other racing groups allowed it and the cost was very high.
I can imagine a novel approach to an end of season tie might be to change the entire car mechanicals, take the penalty and start in 20th place, but have such an awesome, fresh car, that the driver could finish in First Place and beat the Second Place car by one point to win the Driver Championship.
It would be better that wrecking the guy to take him out of the running, eh?
"It could happen . . ."

Last edited by Crashj007; 10-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: missed quote?

Old 10-25-2017, 04:01 PM

7,339 posts, read 15,401,262 times
I was referring to the post about Rick Childress (sp?) Racing, which was entirely about NASCAR.

F1 used to have completely open rules about engine swaps and changes as well.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,369,494 times
I agree that the restriction in the number of components is necessary, but I'd much rather see the team lose points than the driver get grid penalties.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM

58,210 posts, read 41,115,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Lots of talk (from Matchett and Hobbes) about how terrible the grid penalties for various engine/power/transmission replacements, but I am not sure what the choice is. The high dollar teams will simply have a new power unit/transmission each race. The lower teams (ie: most of the field) just can't afford that. If the idea is, indeed, to keep costs down, then the penalties have to stay as they are.
IMO part of the solution would be eliminating the KERS system, I believe it would allow smaller $$$ teams to be more competitive and it seems foolish to me to attempt portraying a sport that runs wind tunnels 24/7 and flies its circus all around the world.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IMO part of the solution would be eliminating the KERS system<>
Sadly I think the trend is more the other way. In a few years they will have eliminated the IC motor and F1 will be all electric, in the name of pollution control and global warming.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,194,265 times
Yes, the KERS thing always seemed a bit silly considering the footprint of F1 around the globe. I suppose it's better than nothing but not by much. Anyone catch the HBO Real Sports story about Hamilton's brother? That was good and interesting.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sadly I think the trend is more the other way. In a few years they will have eliminated the IC motor and F1 will be all electric, in the name of pollution control and global warming.

I just look at the Lotus 79 Andretti won the 1978 title in and miss the days when folks with little more than a well equipped home workshop could buy a Cosworth DFV, a Hewland gearbox, have specialty castings done by what at least then was a solid cottage industry in England, and build a competitive car. Since it bans things like ABS and traction control, common on many road vehicles, F1 can't claim to be the leading edge so why not simplify a bit? Lotus won that title on Chapman's idea of using the air flowing under the car rather than trying to block it, not with cubic $$$. It's fun watching tams like Force India run with some of the bigger dogs and I'd like to see more of it.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I just look at the Lotus 79 Andretti won the 1978 title in and miss the days when folks with little more than a well equipped home workshop could <race in Formula One>
Yes, but how can we undo 40 years of progress? It would be like racing SCCA Formula Fords for the world championship.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yes, but how can we undo 40 years of progress? It would be like racing SCCA Formula Fords for the world championship.

By regulation, there are already a number of things on road cars banned in F1. I know we'll likely never return to aluminum monocoques that can be constructed with minimal equipment compared to carbon fiber chassis but there are ways to lower development costs. Do we really need 4-5 wing elements stacked on each other, remade for different circuits? Personally, I'd like to see F1's new owners spend more time on attracting new constructors than celebrities and more hoopla during race weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing