U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:43 AM

58,182 posts, read 40,987,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Last 4 races points:
1.Verstappen 80
2.Hamilton 70
3.Bottas 50
4.Raikkonen 45
5.Vettel 42
6.Ricciardo 30

Thankfully F! still crowns a champion based on a full season and not some staged, artificial playoff system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 06:53 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,893,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thankfully F! still crowns a champion based on a full season and not some staged, artificial playoff system.
The much maligned NASCAR system came about when a driver won the championship without seeing victory in a single race all year. Not going to happen in F1.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,017 times
Quote:
I wonder how the championship would look if Verstappen hadn't had so much bad luck. It was ridiculous for a while. The guy is fantastic.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I wonder how the championship would look if Verstappen hadn't had so much bad luck. It was ridiculous for a while. The guy is fantastic.
Hopefully someone here who actually has the season points could go back and put in top points for him and dock everyone else for each race he failed in and see how that works out. Hamilton was pretty dominant in any case.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,013,247 times
Quote:

This. It's an actual sport, not a WWE/stick-and-ball garbage gimmick like NASCAR has become.

F1 is sport.

NASCAR is entertainment.

Nascar USED to be a sport, but they have shed that in favor of entertainment, thinking it would bring new fans and tons of money. Instead, it has had the opposite effect. It has de-legitimized the brand, and rightfully so. Meanwhile, F1 has been growing. And now that they have gotten rid of Bernie in favor of Liberty Media, the sky is the limit. I really hope they continue to focus on the European part of the schedule, and get Germany and France back on the calendar. I know France is for 2018, but it's a sin for F1 to not have a German GP, when the team that is dominating right now is German and has such a rich motorsport history.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The much maligned NASCAR system came about when a driver won the championship without seeing victory in a single race all year. Not going to happen in F1.
Kenseth won 1 race in 2003. The chase started the next season.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I think next season will be great, especially if Renault can get their engine failures squared away. Obviously Hamilton, Bottas, and Vettel will be there. But if Verstappen and Ricciardo can have some consistency, they will be in the title hunt. And if McLaren can have the speed that Red Bull has, they will be back as well. Might have a good 5-6 guys with a legitimate shot at the championship.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Kenseth won 1 race in 2003. The chase started the next season.
Ah, yes. I stand corrected. NASCAR claimed it wasn't because of Kenseth, but I'm convinced it pushed the change ahead.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I agree Max is a true talent but it's not only a driver's championship, that doesn't even pay any $$$. The manufacturer's championship is where the $$$ is and DNFs don't help anyone get there. The championship would be different if the Singapore debacle hadn't hit Ferrari along with several DNFs but coulda, shoulda, wouldas are worth nothing in racing.

I hope Renault comes up with a strong engine package next year, both Max and Daniel are talents and so is Fernando, McLaren's chassis seems to lack nothing but HP, be great to see 5-6 drivers fighting it out next year.

Personally, I'm hoping Kubica gets a seat, I always thought him quite talented.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
This. It's an actual sport, not a WWE/stick-and-ball garbage gimmick like NASCAR has become.

F1 is sport.

NASCAR is entertainment.

Nascar USED to be a sport, but they have shed that in favor of entertainment, thinking it would bring new fans and tons of money. Instead, it has had the opposite effect. It has de-legitimized the brand, and rightfully so. Meanwhile, F1 has been growing. And now that they have gotten rid of Bernie in favor of Liberty Media, the sky is the limit. I really hope they continue to focus on the European part of the schedule, and get Germany and France back on the calendar. I know France is for 2018, but it's a sin for F1 to not have a German GP, when the team that is dominating right now is German and has such a rich motorsport history.

I used to really enjoy NASCAR when the racers began as factory 'bodies-in-white' and the drivers had some personality, they gradually chased me away with things like plate racing which I've hated since its inception and the final straw was taking points earned on the track for something the driver said in the winner's circle.

I hope the new owners of F1 don't go over the more glitz/more glamour edge and forget that above all it should be about racing cars and racing drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing