Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,743,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I hope the new owners of F1 don't go over the more glitz/more glamour edge and forget that above all it should be about racing cars and racing drivers.
Judging by some of the changes in the world feed (ie: the camera feed), I suspect we are going toward more sensationalism - more celebrities, etc.

The reason I watch F1 on a recorded broadcast is to be be able to FF over a lot of "spectacle" - I sort of like Will Buxton, but his little "dance" through the grid, which is entirely without substance, annoys the heck out of me. Of course, he may not be there next year, just like Matchett and Hobbs (both of whom I will miss terribly) and Diffey (won't miss at all).

From an article on ESPN, this is not a promising statement, given the order of the terms (bold mine):
"ESPN has had a long commitment to motorsports, and Formula One is a crown jewel in the sport," said Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice president of programming & scheduling. "There are many passionate Formula One fans in the U.S. and we look forward to bringing the pageantry, spectacle and excitement of F1 to viewers across the ESPN platform."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 PM

68,279 posts, read 54,042,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Judging by some of the changes in the world feed (ie: the camera feed), I suspect we are going toward more sensationalism - more celebrities, etc.

The reason I watch F1 on a recorded broadcast is to be be able to FF over a lot of "spectacle" - I sort of like Will Buxton, but his little "dance" through the grid, which is entirely without substance, annoys the heck out of me. Of course, he may not be there next year, just like Matchett and Hobbs (both of whom I will miss terribly) and Diffey (won't miss at all).

From an article on ESPN, this is not a promising statement, given the order of the terms (bold mine):
"ESPN has had a long commitment to motorsports, and Formula One is a crown jewel in the sport," said Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice president of programming & scheduling. "There are many passionate Formula One fans in the U.S. and we look forward to bringing the pageantry, spectacle and excitement of F1 to viewers across the ESPN platform."

ESPN would be foolish not to bring Hobbs and Matchett back and I'd be very happy if they added Varsha to the team, those three were my favorite race broadcast team ever and that's going back to watching an an hour and twenty minutes of Sumo wrestling and Tiddlywinks to see ten minutes of Monaco on Wide World of Sports.

Of course if James Hunt was still with us I'd be happy to have his commentary as well.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,463,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
<>Of course if James Hunt was still with us I'd be happy to have his commentary as well.
I don't know if Sam Posey would be up for it, but I loved his pre race vignettes several years ago. He certainly has legitimate experiences.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:47 PM

10,610 posts, read 15,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I wonder how the championship would look if Verstappen hadn't had so much bad luck. It was ridiculous for a while. The guy is fantastic.
Imagine if the Red Bull cars had the same pace in the beginning of the season as they have now, they would be fighting for the constructor's title.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I don't know if Sam Posey would be up for it, but I loved his pre race vignettes several years ago. He certainly has legitimate experiences.

Sadly I think the Parkinson's would likely make that very difficult, at least to do live commentary. I know Michel J. Fox still communicates well but Sam is almost 20 years his senior and that horrid disease does takes its toll.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Imagine if the Red Bull cars had the same pace in the beginning of the season as they have now, they would be fighting for the constructor's title.

I so hope for a good Renault power unit next season adding Red Bull and McLaren to the contenders, Force India isn't all that far off the mark either.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,743,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
He used to do a little 2 minute intro bit for F1 on NBCSN, but he apparently has Parkinson's and has not been doing well enough to continue with that.

I don't want to see anyone from IndyCar or NASCAR doing the broadcasts. I think there has been a rumor that Liberty Media will be providing a world feed with announcers (instead of just the camerawork).

Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
He used to do a little 2 minute intro bit for F1 on NBCSN, but he apparently has Parkinson's and has not been doing well enough to continue with that.

I don't want to see anyone from IndyCar or NASCAR doing the broadcasts. I think there has been a rumor that Liberty Media will be providing a world feed with announcers (instead of just the camerawork).
Sam was one of the few I've met and talked with back when he was driving the Caldwell CanAm car. His bio, Mudge Pond Express is a great read. He probably still holds the World Indoor Speed Record.

I hope we somehow end up with the current team of broadcasters. I can understand them better than even the NASCAR guys, much less a European group.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 PM

5,403 posts, read 8,086,803 times
Quote:
........... I think there has been a rumor that Liberty Media will be providing a world feed with announcers (instead of just the camerawork).
I read that they will have a streaming service for F1. They will have to have announcers for that. The world feed with announcers for broadcasters would probably be the same as the streaming feed.

A rumor is that NBC Sports did not want to compete with streaming for an already small audience so they decided to drop F1.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 PM

Streaming feed does not work for me personally. I like my F1 with a hot cup of coffee and a doughnut at Sunday midmorning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing