U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,088 times

Advertisements

I was absolutely shocked when I heard this. I read about the rumor a few weeks ago and I never thought it would be Carl. Now my favorite drivers have retired two years in a row (Gordon). I wonder if it is a health reason despite reading it isn't, but he keeps a very low profile outside of NASCAR related stuff, so we may never know. I wouldn't be surprised if the caution that ultimately cost him the championship was the last straw. He was so calm in the aftermath and interviews directly after the wreck. Almost as if he was saying I'm done with this sh*t. Of course he would never actually say that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
Crazy. Can't get the feed but curious why.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Based on what I'm reading from twitter and the like.. He wants to spend time with his family.. But one that caught my eye is that he wants to protect his long-term health.

You wonder if seeing JD Gibbs has spooked him a bit.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:50 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,656 times
I'm not a regular NASCAR follower, but having Daniel Suarez in the series will definitely make me watch it here and then, as I did with the Trucks and Xfinity.

Carl is a beast, top driver, and it's a shame he is retiring before getting that Cup.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,928,002 times
Athletes reach a point in their careers after doing what they wanted to do to leave. Edwards reached that point.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM

2,837 posts, read 1,923,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Based on what I'm reading from twitter and the like.. He wants to spend time with his family.. But one that caught my eye is that he wants to protect his long-term health.

You wonder if seeing JD Gibbs has spooked him a bit.
I watched the press meeting on line and immediately got the feeling that the Dale Jr. concussion syndrome was one of his reasons for retiring.

What exactly is JD's illness? Never thought of that being something Karl was evaluating.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
I congratulate Edwards retiring while still pretty darn good.

Way too many pro athletes ( and working people) hang in there so long after their skills have diminished and their boss has to let them go.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I watched the press meeting on line and immediately got the feeling that the Dale Jr. concussion syndrome was one of his reasons for retiring.

What exactly is JD's illness? Never thought of that being something Karl was evaluating.
They really don't know what's wrong with JD, or at least, haven't disclosed exactly what's wrong.

Joe has been quotes as saying that they'd probably have a treatment for it in 3-4 years, which indicates they DO have a solid diagnosis.

It seems like some kind of massively early onset Alzheimers, because JD is only in his mid 40's. They believe that the concussions he sustained as a linebacker in football and some of the 'extreme' sports he participated in may be a contributing factor to it. But.. He seems to be in really, really bad shape.

We discussed how bad he looked at the Kyle Busch championship at Homestead.. Just.. He had the 'doll eyes'.. Vacant. You could see he wasn't all there. I mean, here.. Just look at this..

That's JD in 2011.

JD is third from left in that photo in 2015.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,923,815 times
Yeah he does look like he is not concentrating well.

Thanks Labonte18. Nobody ever goes into his sickness very far.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Ok.. So.. With the announcements out of the way.. I start thinking on other things.. Still related to Carl's 'retirement' tho..

What does this mean for the 19 car for NEXT year?

Arris is up.. I don't think they return.. I don't understand why they're a sponsor at all to be honest.. I don't overly see them being a great fit with Suarez... Not that they were great with Carl.. That's just a sponsor that doesn't make alot of sense to me. So, I think they're out. I think they leave the sport totally.

Subway.. Tough call. Suarez doesn't seem, offhand, to be the type of person they'd like.. But, they could mold him into that type of person.. Remember they started with Stewart and went to Carl because they wanted someone... Less Hefty. So.. Does Subway stay or go? I think they stay in the sport and there's a good chance they throw all-in with Daniel. I think they can and will work with him. And, of course.. Anything to make people forget about Jared.

The rest.. Stanley, Comcast, Sport Clips.. They're 1 or 2 race sponsors anyway.. They likely stay and go.. some will stay, some will go. Those are the piddly ones.

So, assuming Arris does go.. I'll be interested to see how Suarez does attracting a sponsor.. I don't think Gibbs will have a problem filling inventory on the car. There's a company out there that will fall in love with this guy. I think he'll bring a new sponsor into the sport. I don't know who it is.. But, it's like Danica.. Nature's Bakery isn't in NASCAR without Danica.. The sponsor that comes on board wouldn't come in without Suarez. In a.. Mostly joking way.. I could suggest Rosetta Stone as a 1 or 2 race sponsor.. Seeing as Suarez basically just learned English in the past 2 years. I do seriously think they could make some funny commercials with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or