U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm kind of thinking about the next topic in a month or two being the Deaths of the 90's(Orr, Moroso, Bonnett among others) or The 9 year retirement tour of Mark Martin, but I think that one might be too new. Tim Richmond is one that I think we have to do at some point as well. Those who know his name only.. That's sad. He was absolutely amazing. He's one hell of a story.
The death topic would be interesting. Yeah, Mark Martin is probably too new considering I can recall the whole thing and I was 10 years old in 2005. Tim Richmond is a good one, but I think a lot of fans are familiar with it. ESPN aired a 30 for 30 special on him a number of years ago.

It might be difficult or too long to do a topic on, but I'd love to hear about the days win NASCAR would force manufacturers to make tweaks to their cars. I read something that in the late 80s they forced the Ford teams to make the Thunderbirds wider, then eventually they only forced Bill Elliott's team to make changes. That's unheard of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
The death topic would be interesting. Yeah, Mark Martin is probably too new considering I can recall the whole thing and I was 10 years old in 2005. Tim Richmond is a good one, but I think a lot of fans are familiar with it. ESPN aired a 30 for 30 special on him a number of years ago.

It might be difficult or too long to do a topic on, but I'd love to hear about the days win NASCAR would force manufacturers to make tweaks to their cars. I read something that in the late 80s they forced the Ford teams to make the Thunderbirds wider, then eventually they only forced Bill Elliott's team to make changes. That's unheard of today.
It's unheard of today because the cars are common template. The cars get some bumps, bulges, and stickers to "resemble" the manufacturer, but that's about it.
You don't hear about engine, spoiler, or air dam tweaks either. My long standing theory is this killed the armchair racer.

Last edited by WFW&P; 02-28-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
Anyone watch the short documentary about Gordon's '97 win? It was on after the Busch race, so pretty late. haha It was interesting, about the end of car manipulation there.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Oh, that was MASSIVELY common until the COT. It didn't happen quite as much during the early 2000's but people would complain and there'd be changes to the car in the middle of the season..

I don't even know if I could do enough research on that one. Certainly an interesting subject but you literally could have NASCAR give an inch of spoiler to Pontiac, take an inch away from Chevy and give Ford an additional inch of front air dam kickout all within the span of a few weeks. To do that justice, you'd have to get a listing of all the changes NASCAR mandated changes, at least the ones DURING the season.. Maybe I could focus in on a single season and dig all the info together on it as an example.

They did all that in the spirit of making all the cars equal. Until they finally basically decided on the IROC model. IROC could be another good one. I do actually miss that series somewhat, though it was literally dominated by Cup drivers in the later years.

Been brainstorming other ideas.. Earnhardt's Lucky Penny story, which.. Might be too well known.. But is a great story. I kinda like the idea of the deaths story, because.. Just writing some notes on it.. I had actually forgotten just how bad that era, and I suppose the G4 car was. when I went through trying to remember all of them, then went back and did a bit of research to refresh my memory.. There were several I had forgotten about.. The list that I have now, which I'm not 100% covers them all.

Grant Adcox *(1989, but.. the last race of 1989, so..)
JD McDuffie
Neil Bonnett
Rodney Orr
Rob Moroso *(Not an on-track accident)
Clifford Allison
Davey Allison *(Not an on-track accident)
John Nemechek

Debating whether to make it just cover from Adcox up to Earnhardt, which then would throw in Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty and Tony Roper. And.. You can't talk about the deaths without at least mentioning Ernie Irvan who by all rights SHOULD have been killed in his practice crash.

I'm just covering the top-3 series, and only active competitors.. So, no Tim Flock (Jocko Flocko.. There's another good story) and the like.. But is there anyone else that I'm forgetting there?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,356,722 times
Quote:
Tabasco hits the MF-ing roof that not only had they put all this money in to sponsor Todd Bodine, who had been fired, but all their marketing also shows a Pontiac Grand Prix and now even that isn't on the track. And now they're not even paying the people they signed a contract with. They insist that the car be a Pontiac.

Tyler Jet has to reskin all the cars they put together to Pontiacs.. And performance went to pot. DW used a past champions provisional in all but 2 races the rest of the year, and never finished higher than 20th.

So the Pontiac shell was that much different and detrimental to ruin the team that much? But you said they were seeing multiple DNQ's before that anyway? How much worse did it get?

Old 03-01-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So the Pontiac shell was that much different and detrimental to ruin the team that much? But you said they were seeing multiple DNQ's before that anyway? How much worse did it get?
Remember, you're dealing with two different teams..

The original "Team Tabasco" was the one that DNQed everything up to Indianapolis. That team ceased to be as of Indianapolis.

The team that had horrible performance AFTERWARDS was the remnants of Darrell Waltrip's #17 team. Which ran pretty well in the two races they ran skinned out in Monte Carlo trim.

DW had just scored a top-5 in the #1 Pennzoil car for DEI.. So.. He could still SOMEWHAT drive.

You take Jimmie Johnson right now and say.. You have to run Fords.. They're not going to be as good as they were.. Even though the cars are all 'the same' now. I don't think they'll be DNQing everything, but.. That Tyler Jet team wasn't great as it was, so it didn't take much to push them into the gutter.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:

nascar probably got wise to the fact that ernie built bills tbirds in 15/16 scale, giving him an advantage. and since at that time, nascar used limited templates, it wasnt noticed right away.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM

3,272 posts, read 2,318,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nascar probably got wise to the fact that ernie built bills tbirds in 15/16 scale, giving him an advantage. and since at that time, nascar used limited templates, it wasnt noticed right away.
I think Smokey Yunick may have been done that before Ernie. Read on his 7/8 scale Chevelle. Cant talk about stretching the rules without mention Smokey. Some of the things he did was just genius. He was stretching the rules before they made them.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I think Smokey Yunick may have been done that before Ernie. Read on his 7/8 scale Chevelle. Cant talk about stretching the rules without mention Smokey. Some of the things he did was just genius. He was stretching the rules before they made them.
And you have to mention Robin Pemberton as well.. The man who bent the rules so much NASCAR just hired him to stop him and have him catch everyone else.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:57 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
And you have to mention Robin Pemberton as well.. The man who bent the rules so much NASCAR just hired him to stop him and have him catch everyone else.
And Gary Nelson. Kyle Petty never won another race after NASCAR hired him away. I bet NASCAR will hire Chad Knaus when he decides to leave HMS.

BTW, this is a good thread you started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing