U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 6,582,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Drivers that have no personality.
I was going to pounce on this one. The rivalries and personalities of previous NASCAR drivers is what really made NASCAR different from other types of racing.

With that gone, the racing is pretty boring to be honest. Sure there is some very good young talent out there...Larson, Elliot, Eric Jones and others, but it seems like they lack charisma. There are occasional flashes of excitement when Larson comes from nowhere and takes the lead, but those flashes can't keep the whole race interesting for four hours.

Dividing the races into stages and awarding points was new to NASCAR this season, and it smells like desperation. The thinking is that race fans will follow more intently.

Really?

What the sport needs are rivalries and personalities. Until NASCAR develops them, the new rules are nothing more than empty calories, like a box of stale Twinkies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,236,039 times
I remember about 15 years or so ago, one of my friends, of whom you'd never peg as a NASCAR fan started watching the sport. And I mean, he got into it. I studied the sport, knew all the racers, had opinions on the rules and so forth, and he began to eat, sleep, and breath NASCAR. He was one of those guys who wasn't mechanically inclined, nor a sports guy. More of a music/techie guy.

So, when he got into NASCAR, I thought to myself, "Well, if he likes NASCAR, maybe I need to start watching it more." Of course, it seemed like girlfriends I had during that time hated sports, especially NASCAR and of course, Pro Wrestling. And then, I married a girl who isn't a fan of either as well, and so, it was never in the cards for me to get into the sport. I also moved from Martinsville to Greensboro, and even though you'd still have a good population of NASCAR fans, since G'boro is sandwiched between Martinsville and Charlotte, I have yet to meet a hardcore NASCAR fan.

Even though I have never gotten into the sport, I kind of hate the thoughts of it declining and going away. Especially for areas like Martinsville, which doesn't have anything else at all. And I guess, it's kind of a southern thing or it was initially a southern thing. I'd hate to see it die. I'm hoping something comes along and breathes new life into it.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 AM

4,051 posts, read 5,342,125 times
Ratings have been down, attendance has been down. New sponsors are fewer and old ones are cutting their budgets. Yes, stage racing is the desperate lunge and I don't think it's working.

It'll keep on spinning but growth has been backwards and likely will remain as such.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
You know.. I was a huge fan from about 1992 to 2003 or so..

I think some of the things that have changed for me is that the drivers I liked and followed have basically all retired. The new wave.. I think part of it is that I think of them as punks. I have never been a fan of the wild burnouts and such. I enjoyed it when Rusty would do a Polish victory lap, but.. Outside of that.. I just preferred something that I don't think we've seen since Terry Labonte won at Darlington back in '03.. An old school victory lap.

I miss watching a driver work his way up the ranks. Starting with a Busch series ride, then moving up to a low-end Cup team.. Then getting with a good team. You built a relationship with those drivers. Now, when a Chase Elliott comes in and lands in the top ride right off the bat.. Not as much effort behind following him.

The whole playoff and stage racing things as well.

Common templates. back in the day.. And, I don't know if this is good or bad.. When they'd play with the cars through the season.. Ford would get an extra quarter inch of spoiler.. Pontiac would get another inch on the front air dam..

The odd thing.. It seems back in the day that if a car brushed the wall, the day was over.. But then again, you'd see cars all beat up.. So.. Not sure what my memory is all screwed up on about this.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM

3,002 posts, read 3,158,128 times
I think sports in general may be on the decline in viewership, and NASCAR, not having the popularity of the NFL, or possibly even the NBA, is feeling it like all the others.........just maybe a bit more.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You know.. I was a huge fan from about 1992 to 2003 or so..

I think some of the things that have changed for me is that the drivers I liked and followed have basically all retired. The new wave.. I think part of it is that I think of them as punks. I have never been a fan of the wild burnouts and such. I enjoyed it when Rusty would do a Polish victory lap, but.. Outside of that.. I just preferred something that I don't think we've seen since Terry Labonte won at Darlington back in '03.. An old school victory lap.

I miss watching a driver work his way up the ranks. Starting with a Busch series ride, then moving up to a low-end Cup team.. Then getting with a good team. You built a relationship with those drivers. Now, when a Chase Elliott comes in and lands in the top ride right off the bat.. Not as much effort behind following him.

The whole playoff and stage racing things as well.

Common templates. back in the day.. And, I don't know if this is good or bad.. When they'd play with the cars through the season.. Ford would get an extra quarter inch of spoiler.. Pontiac would get another inch on the front air dam..

The odd thing.. It seems back in the day that if a car brushed the wall, the day was over.. But then again, you'd see cars all beat up.. So.. Not sure what my memory is all screwed up on about this.

I'm sick of the bun-out as well. It was fun when Zinardi did it in Cart but it needed to end there. Now it's just a pointless waste of resources and money.

You know the common templates always led to races getting stunk up by one manufacturer or any other, so we get this modern solution which...leads to races being stunk up by one manufacturer or another. haha

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,927,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I'm sick of the bun-out as well. It was fun when Zinardi did it in Cart but it needed to end there. Now it's just a pointless waste of resources and money.

You know the common templates always led to races getting stunk up by one manufacturer or any other, so we get this modern solution which...leads to races being stunk up by one manufacturer or another. haha
Interesting, always thought the burnouts were silly and tough on the equipment. Kind of childish.

Much more impressed with a victory lap or Polish Victory Lap.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Interesting, always thought the burnouts were silly and tough on the equipment. Kind of childish.

Well, we may get to see it next year.. I didn't see anyone talking about it here, but they're bringing the sealed engines to Cup.

NASCAR announces 2018 engine rules changes

Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,962,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

Always wondered about those burnouts over the last few years when they really shredded those tires!

Older article, but there are current ones similar to this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tion/73473804/

Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 AM

668 posts, read 467,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, we may get to see it next year.. I didn't see anyone talking about it here, but they're bringing the sealed engines to Cup.

NASCAR announces 2018 engine rules changes
Soon NASCAR will just bring 40 engines to any given event, teams will draw straws to see what motor they will run. Just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or