Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times

Advertisements

i think what will happen is kyle steps up when richard ultimately steps down, one way or another.

as for drivers that i follow, elliot and suarez among them, i think these two will step up next season, and i think wallace will have a tough first year, but he will earn the respect of the rest of the drivers, and he will have a much better second season. i still wonder who will win their first race first, elliot or suarez. it was a bad day when they took each other out at the front of the field a couple of weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 AM

17,407 posts, read 14,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think what will happen is kyle steps up when richard ultimately steps down, one way or another.

as for drivers that i follow, elliot and suarez among them, i think these two will step up next season, and i think wallace will have a tough first year, but he will earn the respect of the rest of the drivers, and he will have a much better second season. i still wonder who will win their first race first, elliot or suarez. it was a bad day when they took each other out at the front of the field a couple of weeks ago.
Kyle already was running Petty Enterprises back in the day when it was sold to Gillette. They were done without that sale. Kyle didn't have a sponsor, they lost Cheerios.. Gillette brought Richard over for his name.

Kyle just doesn't have the name recognition from that side. Obviously, he can raise money for charity quite well, tho.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
There had to be a process. Does one start off at smaller racing tournaments then work their way up to the mainstream tournaments? If boxing is a poor man's sport, is race car driving a rich man's sport (so is golf)?
Racing is a sport that requires you to bring money to get the seat. The money can be from you, your family or from a sponsor but you will need it. It is definitely a sport for the wealthy, most modern professional race car drivers use their family wealth to get started.

I actually have experience with this, I started in karts, did some SCCA amateur road racing and had a brief stint as a professional driver. I was getting paid but it was a pittance compared to the money I was expected to find from sponsors to buy my seat. On the way up, you will need a large amount of funding to build your skills and personal brand. Even at the top ranks, keeping your seat is mainly based on your ability to get sponsors to pay the bills.

Last edited by shorman; 11-29-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM

420 posts, read 459,622 times
I'm based in Maryland so I would guess the closest racecar track to me is the Dover Speedway?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'm based in Maryland so I would guess the closest racecar track to me is the Dover Speedway?
there is richmond VA, shenandoah VA, bristol Va might even be close enough. so there are three tracks near you i can think of, in addition to dover. start by getting a hold of the what ever sanctioning body you plan to drive in, and get their information on the various tracks in your area. for instance the SCCA has events all over, some on established race tracks, some in large parking lots, etc.

you might even contact a number of sanctioning bodies, and most will have tracks in your area.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,178,477 times
Quote:
There had to be a process. Does one start off at smaller racing tournaments then work their way up to the mainstream tournaments? If boxing is a poor man's sport, is race car driving a rich man's sport (so is golf)?
With rare exception, rich parents.

Racing is a matter of cubic dollars.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
With rare exception, rich parents.

Racing is a matter of cubic dollars.
once again i remind you that it depends on what class and what sanctioning body you are racing in.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,632,595 times
I checked into Go karting some years back. My son enjoys racing like me so I thought getting him into Go Karting... well, fun and expensive... just to purchase a half way decent kart was gonna cost 5k.. then i had to haul it to and from the track or house it at the track for more $... maintain the kart, upgrade the kart, fuel the kart..... insure the kart...

There were several tracks close to me.. one about 30 min North was a high end, paved road course... they had high end karts for sale, all the upgrades you need and you could house your kart at the facility for about $200 a month or you could rent a Kart to race... Regular races every weekend.. kinda pricy to run there..

There was a cheaper dirt track about an hour South... it was a no frills place to go and race.. they had races almost every weekend, all different classes.. small fee.. it would have been ideal to get your feet wet but you had to bring your own Kart and you had to transport your kart to and from, which means you needed a truck (which most of us have) and a trailer but also a place to house the Kart at home...

Then there was this new place real close to me call K1 Speed.. it was an indoor track with Electric (furnished) Karts.. the track was a tight road course and they had different classes and leagues where you could show up and race once a month or so.. it was pricy to race but considering there was no initial layout to purchase a Kart.. it was the best place to start out just to confirm it was something my son would enjoy... Obviously this was the one we chose because i could get his feet wet, see if he enoyed it and i didn't have to BUY a KART..

Last edited by mco65; 12-16-2017 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 PM

420 posts, read 459,622 times
are race cars usually automatic or manual?

Old 12-23-2017, 06:12 PM

3,489 posts, read 731,578 times
Quote:
are race cars usually automatic or manual?
there are both and it is usually determined by the class you wish to race in ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing