U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM

32,496 posts, read 26,373,528 times

Advertisements

i have been following nascar since the early 70s, when it was on TV rather sporadically in most fo the country. it was usually on the wide world of sports when you had guys like chris economaki and ken squire, calling the race, among others. i think the 76 daytona 500 was what propelled the sport into the limelight with the wreck and subsequent fight between yarborough and allison on the last lap. until that time, indycar and formula one were more popular venues.

i too have seen the changes over the years of the sport, from rule changes, to drivers, to sponsors, to announcers. and i too miss the speed channel as well, along with the many race related programs they ran.

but i have always seen it as an evolution of the sport. drivers dont live forever, the deaths of dale earnhardt and neil bonnet have shown us that. and as technology moves forward, the rules must also change, though some rule changes i dont like, like the spec body nascar has gone to over the years, and the huge aero handling packages they have mandated.

i dont know what the answer is, all i know is that the france family doesnt really have the fans in mind when they do the things they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Road courses have always been my favorite also. Bumping, banging and sliding through the corners. Just love seeing the competition and wheels off through some of the turns.

I did not mean to be doom and gloom but it is pretty obvious the sport has changed for the most part pretty dramatically.

Hopefully NASCAR will sit down and try to think things out.
Anyone who isn't doom and gloom right now has their head in the sand.

There's changes that have been made that.. All in all have been good for the sport. As much as I hate the 'common template'.. In no way whatsoever do I miss the politicking that would happen in the 90's. Ford whining for a quarter inch on the spoiler, Chevy needs this.. Pontiac needs that because they're at an aero disadvantage.

People will point and say that they 'ruined Bristol'.. Look.. The '95 and '99 night races are classics. No question. But why are they classics? Because of the bump and run.. In those cases, a failed bump and run.. Many will disagree with me, but I think the RACING is better at Bristol now. Perhaps it's not as exciting, but the racing is better.

I miss the Rock.. The last few years there that track had some of the best racing there was.

The Chase/playoff format... My theory on this is that you have a level of excitement that is spread over 36 races.. Now with the Chase format, you haven't created more excitement, you've just migrated excitement from the first 26 to the final 10, with an excessive amount on the final race. Yeah, sometimes the championship was decided before the final race, but.. If you really notice, things started to dive after the chase was introduced, with a big drop once the current format came along.

Stage racing.. Honestly.. I can live with that. While one part of me feels it's a bit manipulative of the outcome.. It does add some excitement. It's a whole lot better than the "Caution Clock" they tried in the truck series a few years ago.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 AM

i like the chase/playoff format they are using now, it adds to the level of excitement starting around race number 17 or 18, and builds from there. it also adds a sense of urgency when the chase begins for the drivers, since they wish to move on. it also ended the issue where the points leader essentially goes on cruise control late in the season because they have built up a large point cushion to the point where the points leader just runs the last few race and does just enough to win the championship.

with stage racing, i think that also adds to the competition. you force the drivers to push for a "win" in each stage, thus adding to the competition environment.

one thing i have mixed feelings on though is that teams have to declare which championship they are actively going for, and thus these drivers dont get points in the other series. i think they need to open the other series back up for drivers that want to run for multiple championships. i remember back a number of years ago when ti came down that one driver might very possibly win both the xfinity and the cup championships. brad k came close one year, with a rousing points battle in xfinity with carl edwards, and a points battle in cup against someone, i forget how at this point, and i think another time kyle busch had a shot at winning both championships.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
all i know is that the france family doesnt really have the fans in mind when they do the things they do.
That's true and a big problem. They only care about how much money they can make. A fair profit is fine but folks like them would trade everything for a dollar more and that leads to what nascar has become. Money grabs tend not to be very entertaining.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 PM

sokevin harvick beat out martin truex tonight at kansas. good run for harvick.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,584,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sokevin harvick beat out martin truex tonight at kansas. good run for harvick.
Totally forgot it was on. Harvick sure is strong this year!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Totally forgot it was on. Harvick sure is strong this year!
so did i, in fact my mother reminded me just as the race was on the pace laps.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,187,860 times
I forgot as well and watched something else. heh

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,928,149 times
Don't miss this weekend racing.

Saturday, May 19, 2017 in Concord, NC

Open Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 6:20pm/et

All-Star Race Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 8:25pm/et

Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 PM

thanks for the reminder, but it might have been better coming on friday for some of us old guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or