U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,145 times

Advertisements

Yeah I can see that but I think the road courses have a built in means for different strategies that the segments kid of take away. Like running the race backwards for pit stops or short pitting for track space, etc. Though the segments do bunch of the field I suppose. Anyway, I do like road courses a lot.

Be interesting to see how nbc does. I hope they have a smaller race update bar. The fox one was too big. The F1 one is about perfect and very easy to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,925,000 times
Chicago Overton's 400 2018

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Chicagoland Speedway, Joliet, IL

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 2:46 pm/et

NASCAR Cup Series Race #17 of 36

Stages: Chicagoland Speedway 80 160 267

(267 LAPS, 400.5 MILES)

NASCAR Countdown to Green: 2:00pm/et on NBCSN
Television Race Coverage: NBCSN, 2:30pm/et

Practices:
Saturday, June 30, 11:30am-12:20pm/et, TV-NBCSN;
Saturday, June 30, 2:00-2:50pm/et, TV-NBCSN

Qualifying for positions 1-40, Saturday, June 30 at 7:05 pm/et, TV-NBCSN;

In the Booth: Rick Allen, Jeff Burton, Steve Letarte

RADIO COVERAGE
Motor Racing Network (MRN)
SiriusXM Satellite NASCAR Channel 90

ONLINE STREAMING
NBC Sports - Live
Radio: MRN Live Streaming
SiriusXM Internet Radio (available via internet connected device, with subscription)

Track Specs:
1.5 mile tri-oval
267 laps for 400.5 miles
Banking:
18 degrees in the turns
11 degrees in the front stretch
5 degrees in the back stretch
Frontstretch: 2,400 feet
Backstretch: 1,700 feet
Pit Road Speed: 45mph
Pace Car Speed: 55mph
Grandstand Seating: 55,500 [was 69,000 and 75,000]
Opened: 2001
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XFINITY

Saturday, June 30, 2018 3:30pm/et

Overton's 300

Chicagoland Speedway

NASCAR XFINITY Series Race #15 of 33 for the 2018 season

Television Race Coverage: NBCSN - 3:30pm/et
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARCA

Thursday June 28, 2018, 08:00 PM - 10:00 CDT on FS1

SCOTT 150 from Chicagoland Speedway

Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 PM

32,453 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah I can see that but I think the road courses have a built in means for different strategies that the segments kid of take away. Like running the race backwards for pit stops or short pitting for track space, etc. Though the segments do bunch of the field I suppose. Anyway, I do like road courses a lot.

i also prefer the road courses, and would love to see more of them on the schedule.

as for the other, crew chiefs always run the race backwards to determine pit stops, and strategy. one of the reasons for practice time is to determine what kind of fuel economy and tire wear you are getting out of your car, making changes to improve those things as much as possible without hurting performance, and go out and run again.

you also need to determine, based on your notebooks for the track and the race from previous years, when cautions tend to fall, what adjustments you might have to make to improve the car after the first run, etc. and with road courses you also have to get the brake bias as close as possible as well. something that doesnt happen as much on ovals.

remember these guys take copious notes for every race, and they look back on them.

in the end however, even the best strategy gets thrown out the window after the first fuel run anyway, especially if there is an unexpected caution flag thrown.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 AM

Oh for sure. The road courses really show who the best teams are. Much harder to luck into a good placing.

So is Jr on the nbc broadcast?! I don't see him listed above.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Oh for sure. The road courses really show who the best teams are. Much harder to luck into a good placing.

So is Jr on the nbc broadcast?! I don't see him listed above.

I expected to see him listed there too. NBC keeps running additional "Jr" stuff.

I hope he gets in the weekly CUP racing booth.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:33 PM

If he's not in the booth I'm going to be incredibly disappointed. I honestly do not like the nbc coverage at all. So no Jr might do it for me.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
If he's not in the booth I'm going to be incredibly disappointed. I honestly do not like the nbc coverage at all. So no Jr might do it for me.
Jonas read the below site in full for the latest I have been able to find about how NBC will put Jr. to work.

Less than a month away, Earnhardt is set to factor into NBC’s NASCAR broadcasts and that likely means putting him in the booth as an analyst. The issue is that along with play-by-play guy Rick Allen, Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte are already in the booth as commentators and are well respected by fans and the media. So while sports broadcasts have typically done a two or three-person booth, Adam Stern of SportsBusiness Journal reported that NBC would be experimenting with their booth setup and that may mean a four-man booth that will include Dale.
The four-man booth theory was fueled after a fan asked Earnhardt about the plan and he said that everyone is going to be in the booth.

NBC set to experiment with their NASCAR booth setup in order to accommodate Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,191,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Jonas read the below site in full for the latest I have been able to find about how NBC will put Jr. to work.

Less than a month away, Earnhardt is set to factor into NBC’s NASCAR broadcasts and that likely means putting him in the booth as an analyst. The issue is that along with play-by-play guy Rick Allen, Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte are already in the booth as commentators and are well respected by fans and the media. So while sports broadcasts have typically done a two or three-person booth, Adam Stern of SportsBusiness Journal reported that NBC would be experimenting with their booth setup and that may mean a four-man booth that will include Dale.
The four-man booth theory was fueled after a fan asked Earnhardt about the plan and he said that everyone is going to be in the booth.

NBC set to experiment with their NASCAR booth setup in order to accommodate Dale Earnhardt Jr.
I see Burton filling a "Larry Mac" type of roll in the future. I think it would be killer if they put LeTarte down on pit road, no just covering the pit stops, but covering the teams more, bring a little more info to what the teams do/are doing type of thing.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:20 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,191,269 times
Jr is in the booth for Xfinity practice.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the link the searchers. I hope that means he's in the booth. 4 folks in the booth is fine if you ask me. Plenty of room to talk over 5hrs after all. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or