U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 04:23 PM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And.. The biggest thing.. Two that I can think of showing NASCAR is in trouble.. Cutting the field size to 40 and still not being able to fill it and not finding an entitlement sponsor. Just pulling a number here.. The 2000 Daytona 500.. 57 cars attempted to qualify.. That used to be about the average. Now, they can't even fill the field for the biggest race of the year. Much less the stands.

and the biggest issue is the guaranteed spots for the top 35 teams. and recently the selling of "franchises" for the top 35 teams. back in the old days, if you didnt qualify, you went to the next track on the schedule, and started to prepare for that race. these days if you dont qualify, its no big deal, you have a franchise, which means you are already in the race. i dont mind the past champion provisionals, and i dont mind the sponsors provisional either. these were limited in scope. if you were a past champion you only had so many provisional starts per season. if you used them up early, then tough.

i think nascar needs to get back to that. stage racing is interesting, and provides some excitement early in the race, and the chase format is also fun because you have to earn your championship at the end of the season by beating three other drivers assuming you get that far, unlike in times past when you got to the last race of the season an the champion was virtually assured of the championship as long as they finished 18th or better in the race. that is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and the biggest issue is the guaranteed spots for the top 35 teams. and recently the selling of "franchises" for the top 35 teams. back in the old days, if you didnt qualify, you went to the next track on the schedule, and started to prepare for that race. these days if you dont qualify, its no big deal, you have a franchise, which means you are already in the race. i dont mind the past champion provisionals, and i dont mind the sponsors provisional either. these were limited in scope. if you were a past champion you only had so many provisional starts per season. if you used them up early, then tough.

Depends on the timeframe you're talking about here. In the late 90's, 36 cars qualified on speed, then there were 7 provisionals. 6 'normal' provisionals and 1 past champions'.. If the champions provisional wasn't used, then it went to 7 'normal' provisionals. And provisionals were not limited. Then.. The "DW" rule came into play after he used it 20 times in 1998.

And, of course, remember second round qualifying? You qualified on Friday, if you weren't in the top 25, you could stand on your time or run another qualifying lap the next day to put yourself in the field. Which rarely caused a situation where the fastest qualifier started 26th.

Now.. Somehow.. The 1997 Charlotte fall race.. DW missed that race because Terry Labonte took the PC. I vaguely remember that, but can't figure out how that happened. as I recall, the 6 provisionals went to teams based on owners points.. The #5 was about 6th in points at that time, so he should have gotten the first provisional. But somehow fell back to the PC..

He ran a lap.. 36th fastest time.. But I can't remember the rules that sent him to a PC..

Oh, and showing the throwbacks for Darlington, Kyle Busch posted a video showing the Skittles throwback with Ernie Irvan.. Good to see Ernie again, however.. He didn't look all that great. Perhaps just getting old. Been a long time since i've seen Ernie.

https://twitter.com/KyleBusch/status...05523267796992

Last edited by Labonte18; 07-25-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,185,519 times
That's cool!!! Ole Ernie is getting on up there a little. He'll be like 60 next year. Got to meet him several times over the years. LAst time I talked with him was about 4 or 5 years ago at Hymans down in Charleston. At that time he was living down there, don't know if he still does or not.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That's cool!!! Ole Ernie is getting on up there a little. He'll be like 60 next year. Got to meet him several times over the years. LAst time I talked with him was about 4 or 5 years ago at Hymans down in Charleston. At that time he was living down there, don't know if he still does or not.

That's the last I heard. His kid was doing some racing at one time, I think.. Though, I could be confusing him with someone else.

Some of these guys just fall off the map.. Remember Fatback McSwain? He apparently still owns Fatback's Tire and Auto in Dallas, NC..

Shawn Parker.. Remember that story? Made crew chief for Dale Jarrett.. Wife had a heart transplant.. They adopted a child.. Then she is killed in a limo when it's hit by a drunk driver. Don't know where he is now, but I recall he married Debroah Renshaw... Who.. Kinda sorta killed a fellow driver by crashing into him 20 seconds after he wrecked and the yellow came out.

Matt Martin.. He was Logano before Logano.. Then, at about 16.. Decided he just didn't want to do it.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:28 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,185,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's the last I heard. His kid was doing some racing at one time, I think.. Though, I could be confusing him with someone else.

Some of these guys just fall off the map.. Remember Fatback McSwain? He apparently still owns Fatback's Tire and Auto in Dallas, NC..

Shawn Parker.. Remember that story? Made crew chief for Dale Jarrett.. Wife had a heart transplant.. They adopted a child.. Then she is killed in a limo when it's hit by a drunk driver. Don't know where he is now, but I recall he married Debroah Renshaw... Who.. Kinda sorta killed a fellow driver by crashing into him 20 seconds after he wrecked and the yellow came out.

Matt Martin.. He was Logano before Logano.. Then, at about 16.. Decided he just didn't want to do it.

Sure do. Martin, had a stint in dirt bikes, IIRC.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:11 PM

kyle busch wins at pocono in overtime today, great finish to the race. suarez had a shot to win, but when jones went three wide it slowed suarez enough to kill his chance at winning today. alex bowman finished third today as well.

and thankfully bubba wallace is fine after he hit the wall in turn one after brake failure.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
kyle busch wins at pocono in overtime today, great finish to the race. suarez had a shot to win, but when jones went three wide it slowed suarez enough to kill his chance at winning today. alex bowman finished third today as well.

and thankfully bubba wallace is fine after he hit the wall in turn one after brake failure.

Counting the Truck race Friday.. This makes 192.

No more truck races scheduled this year.. Racing Bristol in Xfinity..

Don't think he gets 200 this year.. But I believe my original guess was Indy 2019.. I'd say that needs to be moved up to the March/April area of 2019.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM

joey logano wins the xfinity race today at the glen. bradk went a bit too deep into turn one with a few laps remaining, and got wheel hop under braking and he spun the car giving joey a four second lead over almendinger and algier. brad recovered to finish tenth.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 PM

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! chase elliot wins his first race at the glen in a rousing 15 lap battle with martin truex jr. truex ran out of gas on the last lap coming off the carousel giving chase the win, who then ran out of gas on the cool down lap.

good run chase!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2018, 03:45 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,956,584 times
First Cup race I have made an effort to watch this year as I am partial to the road courses. What a race, way to go Chase Elliott.

Looked like a good turnout for the fans.

Not a Kyle Busch fan but I would have like to see a split screen watching his charge to third place towards the end. I know the final laps were between first and second but dam Busch really cut his way through the field.

Again, great, great, great race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or