U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,189,497 times
Reputation: 4514

Advertisements

I do agree with trimming the schedule. Most tracks don't need 2 races. I think if your race draws less than 50% sold tickets that race is put on notice for being dropped. If there isn't a fan base to sell tickets there's very little reason to be there. I know TV rights pay the bills but empty seats makes a race, and the series, look bad. That'll never happen of course and probably for the best considering the turn-outs lately. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 02:17 PM
 
9,433 posts, read 7,115,858 times
Reputation: 12208
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I realize there are cons...such as a track and community relying on the money that two races a year can bring in. But I rather have 72,000 fans at one race than two races with about 30k each. Holding two races has to be very expensive as well, especially to the teams.

I'm not totally against that schedule, other than the fact that they're running close to 24 straight weekends. I see some off days in there.. But I think I'd stretch it out another 4 weeks or so.

And, honestly.. I'd add some races in.. Iowa, for one. I think it'd actually be cool to add Myrtle Beach.. Eldora would be interesting, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Alabama
668 posts, read 468,203 times
Reputation: 1063
Guess he couldn't get another ride next year

NASCAR's Elliott Sadler retiring to spend more time with his family | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,803 posts, read 6,589,699 times
Reputation: 4177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm not totally against that schedule, other than the fact that they're running close to 24 straight weekends. I see some off days in there.. But I think I'd stretch it out another 4 weeks or so.

And, honestly.. I'd add some races in.. Iowa, for one. I think it'd actually be cool to add Myrtle Beach.. Eldora would be interesting, to say the least.
I like the idea of Iowa and Eldora. Not sure of Myrtle Beach since Darlington is so close.

I'm getting used to the Chase format. Wouldn't mind them keeping it with the shorter schedule either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM
 
9,433 posts, read 7,115,858 times
Reputation: 12208
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post

OneMain is tied to him pretty well. They were dialing back sponsorship from full year to a partial, but.. Sadler isn't exactly a spring chicken. He started his career in the Busch series in '95.



Kasey Kahne is a bit more of a surprise. He had a ride, but it certainly isn't a good ride and I don't see any indication he was going to get another top tier ride.



Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I like the idea of Iowa and Eldora. Not sure of Myrtle Beach since Darlington is so close.

I'm getting used to the Chase format. Wouldn't mind them keeping it with the shorter schedule either.

The only reason I mention Myrtle Beach is that they're looking to bring it back to prominence. They're trying to get back on the Xfinity schedule or a truck race. It's a good location for bringing people in for other things besides racing (Unlike, say a Wilkesboro or Rockingham) and it's a half-mile track. I couldn't think of any other speedways that had all that going for them. I am sure they exist, I just can't think of any.

I think if you go with a shorter schedule, you dump the chase. or at least have to rework it some. People complain about the old points system, however, that made every race just as important as any other. My complaint about the chase.. The only race that really matters is the last one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,803 posts, read 6,589,699 times
Reputation: 4177
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Kasey Kahne also retiring.

Kasey Kahne retiring from NASCAR because 'highs' don't outweigh 'lows' | Fox News

Quote:
He says "the highs didn't outweigh the lows, and the grueling schedule takes a toll on your quality of life. I need to spend time doing the things I enjoy and love."
All the more of having a shorter NASCAR schedule. It takes a toll on everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,189,497 times
Reputation: 4514
'Things I enjoy and love'. That kind of sums up Kahne's career. Lots of talent but no love of racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM
 
32,510 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Reputation: 19157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think if you go with a shorter schedule, you dump the chase. or at least have to rework it some. People complain about the old points system, however, that made every race just as important as any other. My complaint about the chase.. The only race that really matters is the last one.

i disagree with you on the chase, if anything it makes every race MORE important. it forces you to win races, or run up front to gain maximum points. and when you get down to the last race you have four competitors with a chance to win the championship instead of just one or two. it also ends the issue of the points leader only having to run 18th or better to win the championship, or in some cases just start the race.



with the chase format, you have to run hard and be competitive all the time, or you dont win the championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,042 posts, read 2,207,519 times
Reputation: 3163
Sadler - Fox
Kahne - NBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 11:45 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,929,820 times
Reputation: 3305
Check you local listings.

Times for events this weekend in Bristol have been moved up because of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top