U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
But NASCAR is still relying on a smaller tapered spacer and increased aerodynamic downforce to reduce speeds at the circuit’s largest speedways. The total effect of the smaller spacer, larger spoilers and splitters, plus aero ducts is expected to reduce horsepower and increase drag to replicate the current brand of racing in the patented tightly woven packs at those two superspeedways.

Although HP will increase from 410 to 550, the aero effects are expected to offset any potential gain from removing the plates.

Yeah, knew they weren't just losing the plates, but.. Still think this is going to be interesting to see on the larger tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,579,451 times
At Dover it was a great win for Chase. He now has a spot in the top 8. It was a another messy finish which took out Aric Almirola, who looked to be the eventual race winner. The late pit stop strategy did not work out for Aric.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:48 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,960,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
But NASCAR is still relying on a smaller tapered spacer and increased aerodynamic downforce to reduce speeds at the circuit’s largest speedways. The total effect of the smaller spacer, larger spoilers and splitters, plus aero ducts is expected to reduce horsepower and increase drag to replicate the current brand of racing in the patented tightly woven packs at those two superspeedways.

Although HP will increase from 410 to 550, the aero effects are expected to offset any potential gain from removing the plates.

NASCAR says the new packages could introduce more OEM interest. I don't see how continually changing packages is good for the sport........I mean come on, does each team need to borrow a set of engineers from Elon Musk?

We can't live in the past and although Richard Petty is and always will be the king........ when he walks into a garage and sees the amount of technology needed to maintain a competive team he must feel so much contempt for the sport as it stands now. His relevance as a driver is no longer being that driver that can massage a car to victory or make an honest repair with a hammer, wrench or pry-bar that can win the race.

Bottom line is these cars are very expensive and very delicate now and piece of debris can over heat and engine and a splitter can flatten a tire.

Just my three cents.............but why at a time were sponsorship, teams and money is getting tight why is NASCAR still chasing technology.

The best race I have seen all year and which did really well as far as viewership was the Watkins Glenn race where rubbing was racing and those cars were pushing and banging their way around those corners.

Americans no longer have the patience to watch two hours of oval racing waiting for the "big one"

Leave the cars alone!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Kasey Kahne's NASCAR career has officially ended. He tweeted today that he will not be returning to full time racing in a cup car. He was not medically cleared to return following the incident during practice at CMS a couple weeks ago.

He has hinted that he may still do dirt track racing.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 PM

Johnson and Knaus are splitting up. Honestly didn't think I'd see that happen.

Makes sense, just didn't think I'd ever see it.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Johnson and Knaus are splitting up. Honestly didn't think I'd see that happen.

Makes sense, just didn't think I'd ever see it.
I agree it does make sense but is surprising. JJ has an ownership stake in HMS, so I'm sure he had a lot of input into this decision. HMS has to groom its future stars. Byron has talent and needs someone like Knaus to show him the way. JJ will begin his retirement tour soon, maybe the next couple of seasons.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,934 times
Wow, lots going on. Surprised about the 48 team. Figured JJ would retire before letting Knaus go to another team. But then I wouldn't be surprised if JJ retired after this season.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Makes you wonder if Lowes had something to say about him being the crew chief. Probably not, but..

Supposedly HMS is due to announce a sponsor for the 48 in the next few weeks.

Also, meant to mention that Leavine signed Matt DiBenedetto. So, it looks like that may leave Suarez on the outside looking in. Perhaps an Xfinity ride with Gibbs could come about. I just don't particularly see him signing with SHR. Haas has said the goal of the 41 car is a championship, nothing less. While I think Suarez is a good talent.. He's not THAT talent yet.

I do think LFR and JGR will work well together, but.. I think it's going to be a repeat of FRR. Sponsor goes away, the team goes away. It would make more sense for someone like Germain racing. While it's the same style situation, they seem pretty well locked in with Geico, and I think Geico might even have an ownership stake in the team. Less concern about losing a sponsor.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,195,358 times
Not surprised about Knaus and JJ splitting up. Seems I read there has been some difficulties between them, both on and off the track, but it could have just been rumors. JJ will drive next year, Im sure. I expect an announcement before Daytona that it will be his last.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 PM

32,468 posts, read 26,339,737 times
nice job almirola getting the win today at talledega. the stewart hass team dominated all race long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or