U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,695 posts, read 4,245,503 times
Reputation: 4661

Advertisements

not the final 4 i wanted but certainly a deserving list. Hated the see Chase get that speeding penalty.. argh. I can't help but think the spots he had already lost on Pit Row the previous 2 stops caused that. He was not confident his team could keep him out front so he was over jealous.. hated that but still no guarantee he wins.. in fact he was right in front of Kyle on that final restart before the crash that ended his hopes.. Kyle dove way down deep and was able to clear the cars that would eventually end Chases hopes.. Chase was not getting good restarts all day, coupled with poor pits stops and the speeding penalty.. just a frustrating end to a 'coulda been' special day!

I suppose i would like to see Lagano win in Homestead only because he has never won a championship but if he gets dumped early, it wont hurt my feelings... i just hope for a nail biter with at least 3 of the contenders near the front with 10 laps to go on a restart!!!

IMO, its been a great 2018 NASCAR season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM
 
32,541 posts, read 26,457,600 times
Reputation: 19179
mco65, i agree with you. it would have been fun to have chase in the final, i like that kid and think he has the talent to win a championship or two in his career.


i wouldnt mind seeing logano win the championship, but since harvick is my moms favorite driver, i will be pulling for him to win the championship.


as for my ideal ending to the race, imagine all four chasers in the top four with say ten laps to go and they have to have a restart. but lurking at number five, is chase elliot who has been running up front all day, and while the top four stayed out, chase was the first one with four fresh tires, and he gets a strong restart, passes the top four and goes on to win the race, with the chasers battling hard for second place, swapping the position several times in the last ten laps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,695 posts, read 4,245,503 times
Reputation: 4661
We have yet to see a non championship competitor win the finale at Miami since the changed the Chase format.. it used to be a common theme. I can remember more than once when the points leader simply needed to finish 25th or better in the final race to win the Cup championship... so glad that format is gone and the contenders have to actually try to win.. i am sure that is why most of the top 4 are in contentions and win that finale.. they have to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 AM
 
32,541 posts, read 26,457,600 times
Reputation: 19179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
We have yet to see a non championship competitor win the finale at Miami since the changed the Chase format.. it used to be a common theme. I can remember more than once when the points leader simply needed to finish 25th or better in the final race to win the Cup championship... so glad that format is gone and the contenders have to actually try to win.. i am sure that is why most of the top 4 are in contentions and win that finale.. they have to!

you are right to be sure, but there is always a first time for everything. and by the way the contenders dont have to win, they just have to beat the other three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,695 posts, read 4,245,503 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right to be sure, but there is always a first time for everything. and by the way the contenders dont have to win, they just have to beat the other three.
Valid.. I expect that if 3 of the contenders fall out of contention, laps behind or simply not racing in the top 10 then you might expect to see 2 drivers celebrating at the end of the race.. but i think NASCAR will do all they can to keep most of 4 contenders at or near the top of the leader board... ie, no silly pit road violations, or inspection infractions causing them to start at the rear... I am not saying NASCAR wont play it close to the best but i just don't see them penalizing harvick for speeding on pit road with 10 laps to go.. don't see it happening.. but it might... i doubt it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,193,143 times
Reputation: 4514
Anyone catch Dale Jr on Real Sports on HBO? Might be from this summer. It's very good and interesting. Goes into more detail on why he retired when he did and such, of course as fans we pretty much knew why but not the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 02:20 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,141,437 times
Reputation: 12244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
We have yet to see a non championship competitor win the finale at Miami since the changed the Chase format.. it used to be a common theme. I can remember more than once when the points leader simply needed to finish 25th or better in the final race to win the Cup championship... so glad that format is gone and the contenders have to actually try to win.. i am sure that is why most of the top 4 are in contentions and win that finale.. they have to!

Is this right? I thought the year Logano and Edwards wrecked... Ah.. Ok.. No, that was the only year that there wasn't a 1-2 finish.

The Xfinity series didn't have the champion win when Suarez did.. That's likely what I was thinking of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,141,437 times
Reputation: 12244
Ah.. Just saw where David Pearson passed away. One of the greatest. Nothing much more you can say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,695 posts, read 4,245,503 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ah.. Just saw where David Pearson passed away. One of the greatest. Nothing much more you can say.
The Silver Fox is on the Mount Rushmore of NASCAR.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
 
32,541 posts, read 26,457,600 times
Reputation: 19179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Valid.. I expect that if 3 of the contenders fall out of contention, laps behind or simply not racing in the top 10 then you might expect to see 2 drivers celebrating at the end of the race.. but i think NASCAR will do all they can to keep most of 4 contenders at or near the top of the leader board... ie, no silly pit road violations, or inspection infractions causing them to start at the rear... I am not saying NASCAR wont play it close to the best but i just don't see them penalizing harvick for speeding on pit road with 10 laps to go.. don't see it happening.. but it might... i doubt it!

sorry but nascar doles out the penalties to everyone equally. get caught speeding on pit road and you get penalized whether you are in last place several laps down at the daytona 500, or leading the championship race with ten laps to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top