U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,856,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It was live here. Strange.
It was live on Charter cable here in Eastern Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 AM

5,219 posts, read 5,878,885 times
Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton calls for changes to Monte Carlo circuit

The Monaco GP has "always" been boring, Lewis.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:41 AM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
I suspect what happened for me was a glitch between ESPN and DirecTV - I have the "series" scheduled to record but the DVR has to get the right programming feed to tell it to record. When it was on NBCSN, it actually did a pretty good job of following across the various channels (NBC, NBCSN, etc). And, lol at getting those commercials in there finally, particularly the on-air woman saying "Don't worry, we'll come back exactly where we left!"

I'm not fond of Croft, but, to my surprise, he and Brundle and DiResta and Herbert (?) did a pretty good job of selling me on Monaco, my least favorite race of the series. The F1 camera feed was pretty good at conveying the absolute lunacy of going that fast on the edge on the street circuit.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 AM

58,199 posts, read 41,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton calls for changes to Monte Carlo circuit

The Monaco GP has "always" been boring, Lewis.

And is likely the least likely race on the calendar to ever lose its position. $$$ drives big time racing and what better place to 'romance' your sponsors?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I suspect what happened for me was a glitch between ESPN and DirecTV - I have the "series" scheduled to record but the DVR has to get the right programming feed to tell it to record. When it was on NBCSN, it actually did a pretty good job of following across the various channels (NBC, NBCSN, etc). And, lol at getting those commercials in there finally, particularly the on-air woman saying "Don't worry, we'll come back exactly where we left!"

I'm not fond of Croft, but, to my surprise, he and Brundle and DiResta and Herbert (?) did a pretty good job of selling me on Monaco, my least favorite race of the series. The F1 camera feed was pretty good at conveying the absolute lunacy of going that fast on the edge on the street circuit.

I've thought for many years it was a really stupid place to hold a race, and I love every minute of it. The one race I wish got more TV attention is the vintage race held there in even-numbered years. These are priceless old race cars driven not as a parade of antiques but with reckless abandon.

It also quickly taught me how cruel racing could be. First F1 race I ever attended was the '66 USGP. What first got my attention was during the 'reconnaissance lap', while most maintained a somewhat relaxed pace, along came a screaming blood-red Ferrari driven by Lorenzo Bandini. I mean really, could there possibly be a better name for an Italian driver in an Italian F1 car? Sadly he was killed in Monaco the following year, crashed in the chicane near the harbor, arguably one of the most dangerous spots on the track then and there were no fire extinguishers nearby, he was trapped in a burning car.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,188,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

No commercials live! It is a silly place to have a race and it is fairly boring as a race. But as spectacle it is fairly unmatched in F1. I've been to Monaco a few times during race week and it's super interesting to walk the track or parts of it (never managed see the race though heh). Those streets were definitely not supposed to be raced on.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM

277 posts, read 233,679 times
Monaco has always been a boring race from a NASCAR point of view. When the camera is, literally, at track level, Monaco is spectacular. That's when you realize that these guys are really the best in the world. Watching Lewis Hamilton hurtling through the swimming pool section lap after lap seeing his front tire millimeters away from the Armco. Consistently the same distance every time. Mind blowing in slo-mo. Knowing that just one slight movement of the wheel or the pedal and you'll be in the wall.

That's what makes Monaco special. It's a driver's track. Separates the men from the boys. Like Spa and Suzuka.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,856,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Monaco has always been a boring race from a NASCAR point of view. When the camera is, literally, at track level, Monaco is spectacular. That's when you realize that these guys are really the best in the world. Watching Lewis Hamilton hurtling through the swimming pool section lap after lap seeing his front tire millimeters away from the Armco. Consistently the same distance every time. Mind blowing in slo-mo. Knowing that just one slight movement of the wheel or the pedal and you'll be in the wall.

That's what makes Monaco special. It's a driver's track. Separates the men from the boys. Like Spa and Suzuka.
It's not just the TV viewers who find it boring, the drivers also do.

Several drivers said this after Sunday's race. They said all they were doing was cruising around, never pushing.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM

277 posts, read 233,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Several drivers said this after Sunday's race. They said all they were doing was cruising around, never pushing.

I was commenting on what makes Monaco special. Not about the race itself.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

And that's the track's fault because?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or