U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 11:22 AM

3,687 posts, read 5,849,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And that's the track's fault because?
Because it is almost impossible to pass, unless you have a far superior car such as Verstappen starting in last place, and even he could only progress so far. The lead car, which was down on power, determined the pace for all of the front-runners.

"If I was bored I don't want to image the fans at home watching the race," said Force India driver Sergio Perez.

"If I was on the couch I would have fallen asleep," Mercedes' Hamilton said.
"It's amazing how little I pushed. Less than I can remember ever."
He said the problem is unique to Monaco, where overtaking is also almost impossible.

Monaco should change F1 circuit says Hamilton

Alonso skipped Monaco to do the Indy 500 last year but says his return to the fabled streets was "extremely boring".

"It was probably the most boring race in the history of F1," he told Spanish reporters.
"The sport has to think about the show I think, because we all just followed the car in front.

Alonso watched Indy 500 with numb F1 fans

I guess you can also pass if your team is the engine supplier to the car in front and demands that the driver allows you to pass....or else!!

Last edited by karlsch; 06-02-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:29 PM

58,182 posts, read 40,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Because it is almost impossible to pass, unless you have a far superior car such as Verstappen starting in last place, and even he could only progress so far. The lead car, which was down on power, determined the pace for all of the front-runners.

"If I was bored I don't want to image the fans at home watching the race," said Force India driver Sergio Perez.

"If I was on the couch I would have fallen asleep," Mercedes' Hamilton said.
"It's amazing how little I pushed. Less than I can remember ever."
He said the problem is unique to Monaco, where overtaking is also almost impossible.

Monaco should change F1 circuit says Hamilton

Alonso skipped Monaco to do the Indy 500 last year but says his return to the fabled streets was "extremely boring".

"It was probably the most boring race in the history of F1," he told Spanish reporters.
"The sport has to think about the show I think, because we all just followed the car in front.

Alonso watched Indy 500 with numb F1 fans

I guess you can also pass if your team is the engine supplier to the car in front and demands that the driver allows you to pass....or else!!

I'm surprised he said that, almost impossible is not the same as impossible.

I think blaming the track is an excuse, not a reason, I think Lewis just didn't have a car that worked around that circuit, he's too much a racer to just give up otherwise.. A Safety Car is always a good possibility at Monaco and a reason to push as it gives a real chance at passing on the restart, IF you've gotten yourself close enough.

Last edited by burdell; 06-02-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,366,017 times
Quote:

Ocon always lets the Mercs through because he is in their juniors program, happened in China and Bahrain but Monaco was so blatant that it raised eyebrows. Pérez defended strongly against Bottas a couple of times earlier in the season.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM

5,215 posts, read 5,870,916 times
Another snoozefest of a race.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:18 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
And I thought Monaco was boring - there wasn't really a race anywhere in the pack in this one.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-10-2018, 05:49 PM

And so it begins, Liberty's quest for glitz and celebrity. Yeah, let's hand a model the checkered flag with no preparation, nice job guys!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 AM

3,687 posts, read 5,849,377 times
Before the race Martin Brundle was interviewing celebrities on the grid. He asked 6'10" NBA star Serge Ibaka if he would pick him up so he could see what it is like to be so tall. Ibaka wasn't amused. That's when I decided to fast-forward to the start of the race.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Before the race Martin Brundle was interviewing celebrities on the grid. He asked 6'10" NBA star Serge Ibaka if he would pick him up so he could see what it is like to be so tall. Ibaka wasn't amused. That's when I decided to fast-forward to the start of the race.

Looks like Liberty will follow NASCAR's 'model', make the glitz and hoopla more important than the racing, I'm not optimistic about the future of the series.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And so it begins, Liberty's quest for glitz and celebrity. Yeah, let's hand a model the checkered flag with no preparation, nice job guys!
That was hilarious,give the girl the checkered flag and she starts waving it a lap too early

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,491 times
It was funny but could have really screwed up the race. Anyhoo, it was fairly boring. The first lap was good but not much action after that. Did Vettel lap through 7th place? Ouch. Somehow F1 has to force a second pit stop in these races. Give some hope of a pass. Maybe see what was the issue with Hamilton's Mercedes, loose under throttle, and make the rest set their cars up like that. haha

I FFWed through the pre-race after the guys talked actual racing. Who cares about the celebs anyway. Load of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or