U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 04:15 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 29 days ago)

58,182 posts, read 40,987,158 times

Advertisements

Anyone else think F1 coverage is going downhill? I'm watching FP1 and the camera angles do little to highlight the large elevation changes of Spa, there's little continuity in the shots, and boy!, do I miss Matchett, Hobbs, and Varsha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:35 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,350,510 times
The camera angles are controlled by F1 - they are responsible for the pictures and the feed and then the "host" broadcaster does commentary and features. Although they do give multiple feeds, including replays, so the commentators have some choice over it.

I kind of like Brundle. I like DiResta, although I occasionally have trouble understanding him. Still not fond of Croft and when he gets excited I have to mute the TV.

Brundle likes to do those little track walk-arounds and those can be better at illustrating track features, although some times you just shake your head and say "Martin, whatever you see there isn't coming across on camera at all."

Next year it is supposed to be different, apparently Liberty Media will be supplying the US "host" broadcast. I doubt it will be anyone previously associated (although I think Will Buxton actually works for Liberty now). Expect commercials to return during the race.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-24-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The camera angles are controlled by F1 - they are responsible for the pictures and the feed and then the "host" broadcaster does commentary and features. Although they do give multiple feeds, including replays, so the commentators have some choice over it.

I don't know why they changed. I forget what year(s) but at one time they had a beautiful shot from the top of Eau Rouge that gave a great sense of just what a steep, fast climb it is, totally lacking in what I saw in FP1.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 AM

5,215 posts, read 5,870,916 times
Congrats to Ocon and Pérez. Too bad one of them will be replaced by Stroll. I assume it will be Ocon.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,350,510 times
And after having all their F1 point stripped away after the team name change, Force India leapfrogs Williams for series points in one event.

First race back from the break and that was a fairly boring race. Lol at Ocon thinking about ducking under Vettel (he'd never had made the corner from where he was but he clearly thought about it).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 PM

3,687 posts, read 5,849,377 times
Liberty Media criticizing Bernie again. If he was so bad, why did the pay him 8 billion for F1?

Of course, F1 is no longer a motorsport, they have turned it into something else:

Bratches says F1 has now solved the problems, adding: "We're trying to turn formula one from a motor sport into an entertainment brand that puts racing at the centre.
"Let's not have any misconceptions -- we are now a media and entertainment group."

F1 not a business under Ecclestone says Bratches

After emphasizing how they wanted to keep the traditional circuits on the schedule, even criticizing Bernie for adding Azerbaijan, they dropped Hockenheim and added Miami. Now that the Miami deal has fallen through, Hockenheim will probably be back but with the lower sanction fee Hockenheim originally wanted.

F1 agrees new German GP deal?

Earlier, the New York deal fell through, also:

"We might need a little bit of a change in leadership in that city before we get there," F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches admitted to the KindredCast pocast.
But he sounds determined to keep building F1 in the States, insisting that "there is an underlying fanbase there that just needs to be activated".

New York not ready for F1 race

Why do they think there is a large fan base in the United States, especially now that motor racing has fallen out of favor with many young people. I have been following F1 since I was a boy in the 1950s, and there never has been a large fan base. F1 drivers have walked the streets of New York and nobody has ever recognized them.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM

I don't miss corrupt Bernie one bit. Liberty Media uploads a lot of interesting stuff online, like the podcast F1: Beyond the Grid.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM

1,297 posts, read 427,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Anyone else think F1 coverage is going downhill?
I swear, these guys must get paid by the word. Don't they EVER shut up?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 AM

The Sky Sports and Channel 4 broadcasts are too biased towards Hamilton. I like Eddie Jordan, though. He is a funny and a loose cannon.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I swear, these guys must get paid by the word. Don't they EVER shut up?

I miss Matchett who seemed to know everybody on pit lane and had the ability to explain the mechanics of what was happening.. I also thought the camera placement at Spa left a lot to be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or