U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,339,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I listened to the Behind the Grid podcast featuring Jackie Stewart as guest yesterday. I know the guy is a legend but he seemed like a jerk at moments to me. He even spoke of himself in third person.

He's not called "the wee Snot" for no reason. It's always been my impression of him, especially after reading his autobiography.

All of the drivers have a fair amount of arrogance and attitude at this level, though, it's one of the things that gets them this far. Even Daniel Ricciardo, "Mr Smiley," has had some jerkish moments. In general, though, over the past few years the drivers have had media handlers to direct their public comments and public faces so it is less visible.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:49 AM

5,211 posts, read 5,865,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
He's not called "the wee Snot" for no reason. It's always been my impression of him, especially after reading his autobiography.

All of the drivers have a fair amount of arrogance and attitude at this level, though, it's one of the things that gets them this far. Even Daniel Ricciardo, "Mr Smiley," has had some jerkish moments. In general, though, over the past few years the drivers have had media handlers to direct their public comments and public faces so it is less visible.
I have only seen and heard brief interviews with him before. Alain Prost was vilified in the 80s and 90s but he seems like a really nice and humble guy now.

Schumacher was a massive jerk on the track but was actually quite humble and funny in interviews.

I have nothing against outspoken types like Jacques Villeneuve but I am not a fan of the pompous and self-righteous types, especially when they act that way decades after they retired.

I am looing forward to future interviews with Sebastian Vettel, Damon Hill, Niki Lauda, Eddie Irvine, ++.

Last edited by cmptrwlt; 10-31-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 25 days ago)

58,168 posts, read 40,957,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have only seen and heard brief interviews with him before. Alain Prost was vilified in the 80s and 90s but he seems like a really nice and humble guy now.

Schumacher was a massive jerk on the track but was actually quite humble and funny in interviews.

I have nothing against outspoken types like Jacques Villeneuve but I am not a fan of the pompous and self-righteous types, especially when they act that way decades after they retired.

I am looing forward to future interviews with Sebastian Vettel, Damon Hill, Niki Lauda, Eddie Irvine, ++.

I was happy to learn Prost had Senna had mended fences before Senna's death, he actually wound up on the board of Senna's foundation in Brazil. They always struck me as two of the best who approached the same task from different directions, Prost with his mind and Senna with his heart.

Last edited by burdell; 11-01-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:

One thing about Jackie, he could back up any perceived arrogance on the track. I saw him at Watkins Glen one time, we were about a half lap from the start and when the field came around the first time he already had a ridiculous lead considering it was only half a lap, and if there were no others to compare him with he always seemed as if he was going slowly, super smooth and rarely if ever out of shape.

And he did much to bring about increased safety in racing. I started following F1 in 1961 when Phil Hill was chasing the title, if we were lucky there might be a few column inches in the local sports section, at 11 years old I just didn't know about things like Comp Press at the time. Looking thru some old programs and magazines it's shocking to realize just how common racing deaths were at the time.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,141,488 times
Quote:

Actually he was called the "Wee Scot".

Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Actually he was called the "Wee Scot".
I am well aware of that. "Wee Snot" was an unflattering derivation of that, I forget by which announcer (not recent).

Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 AM

Was my TV getting a different signal from Brazil? Every view I've seen makes it look as if Max hadn't cleared Ocon when he turned in. I don't think the race lead makes that an approved maneuver.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Was my TV getting a different signal from Brazil? Every view I've seen makes it look as if Max hadn't cleared Ocon when he turned in. I don't think the race lead makes that an approved maneuver.
It was clearly his corner, Ocon can't expect the guy ahead not to turn... plus you can see the blue flag flashing from his onboard. Honestly I feel his racecraft has taken a step down this season. So many clumsy moves, like the Baku one and the one in Mexico with Hulk.

Also, incredibly stupid to fight like that to unlap. If you think you can do it, do it safely.

Of course Max was stupid, too. He had everything to lose, why play along? Wise words from Lewis in the cool down room.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
It was clearly his corner, Ocon can't expect the guy ahead not to turn... plus you can see the blue flag flashing from his onboard. Honestly I feel his racecraft has taken a step down this season. So many clumsy moves, like the Baku one and the one in Mexico with Hulk.
How so? Max was not clear of Ocon when he turned in, that's the responsibility of the overtaking driver, leading or not.

Quote:
Also, incredibly stupid to fight like that to unlap. If you think you can do it, do it safely.
Again, Max turned in on him without being clear.

Quote:
Of course Max was stupid, too. He had everything to lose, why play along? Wise words from Lewis in the cool down room.
That's all I'm saying, the blame must be shared. Hard headed fighting to unlap yourself is no more stupid than hard headed attempting to pass a back marker when you're comfortably in the lead and have no need to make that pass in an iffy manner. I don't see it as anything more than two testosterone fueled young lions roaring at each other and would have just chalked it up as a racing incident, no action required.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 AM

The "unlapping himself" argument doesn't hold water. First off, Ocon was being given a blue flag. That means he MUST let the faster car behind him by in a safe way. That has to happen by the rule book, doesn't matter if it put Ocon a lap down, Ocon is required to let him by. The usual way that is done is for the slower car to either move off the racing line or to slow slightly into a corner to let the faster one through. Verstappen did take an unnecessary risk by not giving Ocon enough room, banking on his "rights" in the corner and apparently believing that Ocon would be slower than he was.

Although the other argument that doesn't work for me is the conspiracy theory that Ocon deliberately held up a Red Bull to favor Mercedes, as Ocon is part of the Mercedes Driver Development Program. Not really believing that one.

Although I do believe a couple others - Piquet Jr being told by his team to crash the car to benefit Alonso, Senna deliberately taking Prost out to cement his world championship (why I have never been a Senna fan, despite recognizing his astonishing driving abilities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or