U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,384,575 times

Advertisements

Liberty Media is supposedly going to host their own broadcast (ie: expect commercials back during the race, something it has been very pleasant not to have). They already control the video feed anyway.

Will Buxton works for Liberty Media (or did at the start of the year, anyway), so expect him to be involved again. My guess is that Liberty will want younger people in the booth as part of their push to aim F1 at younger viewers, so no Hobbes, Varsha or Matchett. Not sure who that leaves for color commentary - Nico Roseburg, maybe, although he isn't my favorite and I doubt Liberty can offer him enough money to make it attractive to him.

There is sort of an "over the hill" stigma to being a broadcaster.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:37 AM

58,203 posts, read 41,077,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Liberty Media is supposedly going to host their own broadcast (ie: expect commercials back during the race, something it has been very pleasant not to have). They already control the video feed anyway.

Will Buxton works for Liberty Media (or did at the start of the year, anyway), so expect him to be involved again. My guess is that Liberty will want younger people in the booth as part of their push to aim F1 at younger viewers, so no Hobbes, Varsha or Matchett. Not sure who that leaves for color commentary - Nico Roseburg, maybe, although he isn't my favorite and I doubt Liberty can offer him enough money to make it attractive to him.

There is sort of an "over the hill" stigma to being a broadcaster.

That would seem a tall order considering most of what I read portrays the younger generation as not even being interested in getting a driver's license. I have the uneasy feeling Liberty will begin making what 'celebrities' appear at the races and 'grace' the team garages more important than the racing itself. I never thought it'd be the case but I think I'm gonna miss Bernie, love him or hate him, racing rather than entertainment was his concern.

I miss the days when racing was much more a sport than a business.

Last edited by burdell; 11-29-2018 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 03:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 436,073 times
I wish the announcers would shut up once and a while.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:59 AM

34,462 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I wish the announcers would shut up once and a while.
Thats easy,just turn the sound off.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,191,254 times
Then you don't hear the cars. That's half of racing.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:19 PM

58,203 posts, read 41,077,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Then you don't hear the cars. That's half of racing.

It was much better when the number of cylinders and red-line weren't by rule.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:05 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,191,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It was much better when the number of cylinders and red-line weren't by rule.

Oh no doubt

Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,863,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Max Verstappen just got his motorcycle license and bought a Harley. Now he wants to test a MotoGP bike, "But they say no chance. They said absolutely no. They think it's too dangerous. So that's it," the Dutchman revealed.
…............
Max hasn't done it, but Lewis Hamilton just tested a Superbike at Jerez. Superbike is one step below MotoGP in performance, but not by much.

He crashed once but wasn't hurt so he continued with the test.

“Following his Superbike run, Hamilton posted on Instagram saying how much he had enjoyed his Yamaha experience.
He wrote: Good morning. Woke up feeling great today, miss riding the super bike [sic] already. FYI I’ve always loved 2 wheels more than 4.”

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...jerez/4308041/

Valentino Rossi invited Hamilton to his training (and fun) ranch in Italy. Yes, one of the best ways to train for road racing bikes is to slide around on dirt or gravel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmuUy-6ougU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or