U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 25 days ago)

58,166 posts, read 40,957,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
So was ESPN just trying to make up to viewers are is this a new thing? Qualifying was broadcast without commercials. Which, really, there are a ton of openings in Qualy for commercials - the wait in between sessions, the first lap or two of a session, the stretch when the cars are headed for parc ferme, etc.

Lol, a good qualifying effort for Honda, relatively speaking.

Pretty good race effort too!

Vettel's wasn't too shabby either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:29 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,857 times
Interesting race. I can't believe there were no commercials! That was awesome. Really made watching so much better. I like the announcing team. The lead guy tends to get too excited and talk too fast and loudly, and over Brundle a lot, but otherwise pretty solid. Vettel certainly pulled off a good win. Thought he might be done for with 2 laps to go but Bottas overcooked a corner.

The crew guy getting hit was pretty bad. Ferrari needs to fix that stuff.

That halo, whoa. From the side it's actually fairly slick but straight on and the cockpit view...that thing is hideous. I'm surprised the drivers are cross-eyed with that in their vision.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:17 PM

3,682 posts, read 5,845,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Speaking of groveling before political correctness, you probably heard about Lewis Hamilton criticizing his young nephew for wearing a princess dress: “Lewis Hamilton offers ‘deepest apologies’ after sparking outrage for mocking nephew in princess dress” Lewis Hamilton apologises for mocking nephew in dress | Metro News
...................[/url]
Now Lewis might be in trouble for seeming to approve of the of the return of the grid girls to Monaco: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8293541.html

Seems to be starting to grovel again. "Lewis Hamilton has backtracked after enthusiastically hailing the return of F1 grid girls." Lewis Hamilton says 'Thank you, Jesus' comment about grid girls was a joke | Autoweek

Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM

53 posts, read 19,474 times
Agreed! I turn it up, because I have difficulty understanding their accents, especially DeResta's, but I am absolutely shocked that apparently no compression is used at all on their mics. Once in a while, the two booth announcers will speak very quietly, in an aside, and it's absolutely unintelligible to me. I just let it go now, but I wish they'd use some compression for the commentators vocal mics.

BTW, I mix sound for our church and our pastor uses a lot of loudness range. I use 6:1 compression on his mic so that his quieter comments can be understood without blowing people away during his louder moments

Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 AM

7,288 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Well, that was fun to watch, although yet again a race won by pit strategy (and a hefty dose of good - and bad - driving). Mercedes really missed the chance to pull Hamilton in for new tires on the safety car, I am sure post-race there will be some words exchanged.

Apparently after the race Verstappen owned up to the mistakes, although I am sure that didn't mollify Ferrari.

I like the commercial-free broadcast and I like Brundle. Still can't stand Croft and the over-all poor audio quality.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-17-2018, 05:10 PM

7,288 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Apparently ESPN will air all races in 2018 commercial-free. Huh. I might actually stay up/get up earlier to watch some. They do air commercial during practices, but, well, there are long stretches of nothing in a practice. I think the last 2 qualys have been commercial-free as well.

Of course, if they aren't showing commercials they aren't earning money and 2018 may be the last year they show F1, contract or no.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Apparently ESPN will air all races in 2018 commercial-free. Huh. I might actually stay up/get up earlier to watch some. They do air commercial during practices, but, well, there are long stretches of nothing in a practice. I think the last 2 qualys have been commercial-free as well.

Of course, if they aren't showing commercials they aren't earning money and 2018 may be the last year they show F1, contract or no.

They do show a little blurb at the beginning that it's being sponsored by Mothers, it's always possible Mothers is getting a better deal on other air time in exchange for allowing the F1 race to run commercial free.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 AM

3,682 posts, read 5,845,091 times
Last year Liberty Media complained rather crudely that NBC wasn't paying enough for F1 broadcast rights. Of course, the average USA viewership is less than 500,000: https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#16eaad683b98

NBC decided not to renew F1 broadcasting, in part because Liberty is planning to offer a competing (not free) streaming service.

Apparently Liberty reportedly then approached Fox Sports who turned them down, so they ended up with ESPN who would use the Sky Sports feed complete with Sky announcers.

It was hoped that Sky would modify their broadcast to allow spots for commercials, but that never happened. During the first race commercials popped up during announcers' mid-speech and viewers complained. So now we end up with no commercials.

Somebody has to be paying ESPN for not having commercials, they can't be doing it just for the honor of broadcasting F1. Is it Mother's Polishes? I don't see how that could be financially feasible for them. If they are being given some sort of a special deal, somebody has to be paying for the deal. It certainly isn't ESPN. It almost has to be Liberty. Maybe they think it will help them in their quest to make F1 a more mainstream sport in the U.S.

They have to be given more time, but I am beginning to suspect that Liberty really didn't know what they were getting into when they paid $8 billion for the commercial side of F1, an international entity with so many players far more complicated than, say, the Atlanta Braves.

What's their biggest accomplishment so far? A new logo?? I wonder how many corporate meetings that took?

It will be interesting to see how their proposed rule changes for 2021 play out.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 PM

I just don't see Liberty's ownership of F1 boding well for the sport. Paying more attention to the political correctness of grid girls than ways to increase overtaking makes me think the future may have a short life.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 PM

983 posts, read 1,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Last year Liberty Media complained rather crudely that NBC wasn't paying enough for F1 broadcast rights. Of course, the average USA viewership is less than 500,000: https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#16eaad683b98

NBC decided not to renew F1 broadcasting, in part because Liberty is planning to offer a competing (not free) streaming service.

Apparently Liberty reportedly then approached Fox Sports who turned them down, so they ended up with ESPN who would use the Sky Sports feed complete with Sky announcers.

It was hoped that Sky would modify their broadcast to allow spots for commercials, but that never happened. During the first race commercials popped up during announcers' mid-speech and viewers complained. So now we end up with no commercials.

Somebody has to be paying ESPN for not having commercials, they can't be doing it just for the honor of broadcasting F1. Is it Mother's Polishes? I don't see how that could be financially feasible for them. If they are being given some sort of a special deal, somebody has to be paying for the deal. It certainly isn't ESPN. It almost has to be Liberty. Maybe they think it will help them in their quest to make F1 a more mainstream sport in the U.S.

They have to be given more time, but I am beginning to suspect that Liberty really didn't know what they were getting into when they paid $8 billion for the commercial side of F1, an international entity with so many players far more complicated than, say, the Atlanta Braves.

What's their biggest accomplishment so far? A new logo?? I wonder how many corporate meetings that took?

It will be interesting to see how their proposed rule changes for 2021 play out.
The ESPN deal was a time buy by Liberty. They paid ESPN to have the races there. ESPN was taking ad revenue on top, and that's what Mother's is providing. IMO the ESPN deal is just a stop gap while they get their own platform up and running.

Change is coming slowly but I like what I have seem so far. The social media side has grown an awful lot, the content in the official website with Will Buxton is top notch, and their proposal for the new $$$ distribution looks much better than today's BS "heritage" payments. The 2021 and the new Concorde (or whatever they'll call it) agreement are the true tests for Liberty. That and the streaming platform that will come live for Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or