U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 02:38 PM

3,703 posts, read 5,859,538 times

Advertisements

25 years since Michael Andretti's failed attempt at F1 and this infamous Sports Illustrated article explaining it.

I love what they said in the paddock about wife Sandy (Whatever happened to her?): "One guy wrote that she looked like Pancho Villa's wife," Michael recalls, and other descriptions seemed to fall somewhere between Darling Jill of God's Little Acre and Elly May Clampett of The Beverly Hillbillies. Her shopping expeditions became the stuff of legend: Gidget gets a Gold Card.

The whole article, a great read: https://www.si.com/vault/1993/08/02/...ula-one-racing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 AM

7,324 posts, read 15,374,603 times
Well, that wasn't too bad, although I prefer to see my overtaking down without crashing, as I am sure various team managers would agree with. Surprising win, given how things looked about 10 laps from the end.

Somehow I missed qualifying, did it not show on one of ESPN's cable/broadcast channels?

I like DiResta as an announcer, although the spouse has a really hard time understanding the accent, particularly when Sky runs the "background" car noise so loud. DiResta needs his audio put a little higher in the mix. Still nbot a Croft fan.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 PM

58,199 posts, read 41,051,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Well, that wasn't too bad, although I prefer to see my overtaking down without crashing, as I am sure various team managers would agree with. Surprising win, given how things looked about 10 laps from the end.

Somehow I missed qualifying, did it not show on one of ESPN's cable/broadcast channels?

I like DiResta as an announcer, although the spouse has a really hard time understanding the accent, particularly when Sky runs the "background" car noise so loud. DiResta needs his audio put a little higher in the mix. Still nbot a Croft fan.

Qualifying wasn't shown in ESPN2's program guide, at least on DirectTV but it was shown as scheduled at 8:05 AM EDT on ESPN2.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 PM

983 posts, read 1,367,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
25 years since Michael Andretti's failed attempt at F1 and this infamous Sports Illustrated article explaining it.

I love what they said in the paddock about wife Sandy (Whatever happened to her?): "One guy wrote that she looked like Pancho Villa's wife," Michael recalls, and other descriptions seemed to fall somewhere between Darling Jill of God's Little Acre and Elly May Clampett of The Beverly Hillbillies. Her shopping expeditions became the stuff of legend: Gidget gets a Gold Card.

The whole article, a great read: https://www.si.com/vault/1993/08/02/...ula-one-racing
Michael didn't get as serious as he should have. Arrived to the track late on Thursdays (flew straight from PA instead of setting up a base in Europe like most drivers), was never in the factory, didn't rally the troops around him (doesn't help that Senna, charismatic and already wildly successful, was on the other side of the garage). If an American driver coming from an American series was going to make it in F1 it was Michael. I think he underestimated the task a little bit. The problem is that F1 has zero patience, and Dennis had Mika Hakkinen ready to jump into the car.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Many didn't think it would happen, but new aerodynamic rules to allow closer racing starting in 2019 were approved: F1 agrees 2019 rule changes to boost overtaking

Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 AM

7,324 posts, read 15,374,603 times
Yes, the current front wings are looking very ... rococo. There is a lot of stuff hung off the ends that seems to end up in someone's tire or scattered over the track.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-03-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Many didn't think it would happen, but new aerodynamic rules to allow closer racing starting in 2019 were approved: F1 agrees 2019 rule changes to boost overtaking

But still the gimmicky DRS with a larger opening.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,189,497 times
I see they are proposing a Miami GP in '19. A dreaded street course. Miami does seem like a good fit otherwise.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/02/m...spt/index.html

Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I see they are proposing a Miami GP in '19. A dreaded street course. Miami does seem like a good fit otherwise.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/02/m...spt/index.html
"With over half a billion fans worldwide, Formula One is the greatest racing spectacle on the planet," F1's managing director of commercial operations Sean Bratches said in a statement

BS. 10 or so years ago TV viewership for the entire season was about a half billion. Today it is about 350,000. Less than 20 million viewers per race.

Boring races and having it on pay channels in many countries doesn't help. If we have to pay for streaming to watch it will hurt even more but Liberty Media might profit. Sponsors are taking note.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Alonso wins in WEC debut at Spa!

Fernando Alonso wins World Endurance Championship race, claims first race victory in five years

Good to see McLaren giving him the freedom to contest other series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or