Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:18 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,055,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
ESPN3 is their online offering (either through their website or the ESPNWatch app). If you have ESPN through your cable provider, you get the streaming content in the app.

So since I have DirectTV I can get it on my laptop and ChromeCast it to the TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,746,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So since I have DirectTV I can get it on my laptop and ChromeCast it to the TV?
In theory, lol - I'd try it out ahead of time. I just spent about 15 minutes hunting around the ESPN site for it. I have an Amazon Fire TV stick and the app is supposed to be available on that. Today's practice is listed at 6:00pm (probably Eastern time).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In theory, lol - I'd try it out ahead of time. I just spent about 15 minutes hunting around the ESPN site for it. I have an Amazon Fire TV stick and the app is supposed to be available on that. Today's practice is listed at 6:00pm (probably Eastern time).
Thanks! I just got home and don't feel like fooling with any technology right now unless it's the blender mixing me a large drink. I'll have to fool with it over the weekend and see if i can get it set up for the next race, I did find an app on their site I guess would link to ESPN3 somehow?

BTW, it's 6:00 PM Pacific time.

Last edited by burdell; 03-22-2018 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I just got home and don't feel like fooling with any technology right now unless it's the blender mixing me a large drink. I'll have to fool with it over the weekend and see if i can get it set up for the next race, I did find an app on their site I guess would link to ESPN3 somehow?

BTW, it's 6:00 PM Pacific time.
Yep, plus I found the app for it on my Amazon Fire Stick (a badly thought-out name, sounds like something from a cheesy western).

I've been watching doubles tennis live from Miami on it.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Well, the DirectTV program guide tells me I'm watching "Formula One Racing" but what I'k seeing is just cheap sports talk. The season's not off to a good start.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,286,663 times
Quote:
Well, the DirectTV program guide tells me I'm watching "Formula One Racing" but what I'k seeing is just cheap sports talk. The season's not off to a good start.
I'm going to need to use CC but I can't get it to work. In fact rewind, fast forward and pause don't work either. (Roku Stick)

Old 03-24-2018, 01:56 AM

Yes, ESPN bounced the live televised Practice 3 off of ESPN to another channel and a later time (making it ... much less live). Great way to start the year, showing your commitment to the sport and its fans.

Qualifying started on time on the right channel, at least (stayed up to make sure it at least recorded before I shut the TV off, will watch tomorrow morning).

Watched P1 yesterday and caught about the last 20 minutes of P3 in its later start time on ESPNews this evening and I am not liking "Crofty" in the least, WAY too much shouting, sounds like Leigh Diffey - whom I also didn't like - shouting as whoever crosses the finish line, except Crofts sort of shouts that way all race. Reminds me of my misspent youth in a rock band, where "too fast" and "way too loud" were often mistaken for "high energy." Di Resta was good, their pit lane guy is okay. For Qualy (and I think the race) it is Martin Brundle and David Croft, no Di Resta.

They are on very good terms with Red Bull, Christian Horner chats with them quite companionably during the practice sessions.

Much complaining about the halo, which I can see as it makes seeing the driver's helmet and therefore IDing the driver harder and for P1 it blocked the high in-car camera view of the nose of the car (the cameras were moved by P3). The complaining that I thought was stupid is that when the car is in the garage - not in the pit but all the way back in the garage - the way the computer screens that the drivers use goes around the halo as a very effective screen, meaning that the pit camera can't show the driver's face. Of all the things to really harp on, that one seemed ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I'm going to need to use CC but I can't get it to work. In fact rewind, fast forward and pause don't work either. (Roku Stick)
I got CC to work on the Amazon Fire Stick as the spouse has trouble with accents (particularly Di Resta's) and it wasn't actually worth the trouble. The CC could occasionally be hilarious on NBCSN's coverage as the computer tried to figure out Hobb's accent and unfamiliar words (really guys, just preload a dictionary of common terms and names in first), but the lag on this was 7-12 seconds back and the mistakes were pretty bad.

Plus on the Amazon Fire Stick the captions are placed in the upper left corner, which completely blanks the top 3-4 names on the "timing tree" display

Old 03-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Great to see HAAS have a strong qualifying, would love to see that carry through to the race and have them in the hunt to be 'best of the rest'.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:35 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,286,663 times
Is ESPN really this unprepared to cover F-1? This is SAD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing