U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,312 posts, read 858,698 times
Reputation: 2087

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My son and I recently went to our 1st NASCAR race last week at Watkins Glen and wow did we have a blast! We are already planning on going back to the Glen next year but we would like to visit another track as well.

So my question is, what track would you recommend going too? We live in the Rochester NY area so we wouldnít want to have too drive to far. Maybe 10-11 hours max? We would be going there mainly for the race so we arenít really concerned with what else the area has to offer. Just curious which tracks you all recommend to see live. The closest track to us besides Watkins Glen is Pocano. Thoughts? Then I believe we get out to New Hampshire, Dover, Michigan, Martinsville, and Richmond. Bristol, Indy, Charlotte and Darlington are all 12 hours or more I believe. But I would consider them if itís really worth it.

Also if it matters my son is 8 now. I know some tracks offer kids tickets at a discount. My $125 ticket at Watkins was only $25 for him.

Thanks everyone and any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM
 
32,669 posts, read 26,708,994 times
Reputation: 19314
bristol, charlotte, or darlington would be my suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 AM
 
9,609 posts, read 7,277,366 times
Reputation: 12355
I've been to Martinsville, Richmond, Bristol, Charlotte and Darlington from your list there...


Of those.. I'd give a top three of Richmond, Martinsville and Charlotte, in no particular order.

Richmond is a great racetrack.. But bring hearing protection. Action all over the track, a very nice track as well.

Martinsville.. Been to one race there. Historic is the term to use. Fully enjoyed the race, again, i'm generally a fan of the short tracks and bumping and banging, so.. You can just feel the history at this place, tho. Facilities aren't bad, but, there's no mistaking that the track is quite old. The 'famous Martinsville hot dog" didn't do much for me, but the fried baloney sandwiches did!

Charlotte.. I've been to the Coke 600 once and the All Star Race 10-12 times. I was there in 2001 when they all wrecked in turn 2.. It's a great track, and the pre-race stuff is always top notch. If I were going back.. I'd go to the Roval race. The Coke 600 is just too dang long and too hot at the start normally. All Star race was fun in the day, but.. Rules changes have kinda ruined it.


of the other tracks there.. I won't say avoid these, but they'd be the last places I'd go..



Bristol. Did not enjoy this at all. Packed in like sardines. Just not a good experience. It could be better now with it not being sold out all the time and the track being redone to not be a one groove track. I went back in the early 2000's.

Indy.. Haven't been here, but.. The only reason I would go is to see the track. The racing kinda sucks.

Darlington. Honestly.. I would probably try this one again. The only reason i'm saying maybe not is that your kid is 8.. Darlington can be... Wild. Perhaps it's calmed a bit in recent years. It's also, like Martinsville, a very old track, but has been maintained and updated nicely.


New Hampshire, I've been to, but not for a race. I think that might be a good one for you.

Dover, my brother went to all the time, but I was always concerned about it just being too hot. I'm a ginger and hours in the sun don't end well for me.

Michigan to me just seems boring.


I can tell you that Kansas is a very nice track. Racing is.. Intermittent.

Iowa I'd recommend anyone go to. I got to go there for a truck race a few years back.. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And that track is near a famous plane crash site.. Ah.. Rocky Marciano. And only about 2 hours or so away from Clear Lake and the Surf Ballroom, famous for "The Day the Music Died". Plus, you can pop over to Amana Village.. Iowa is actually a pretty cool place to visit.

Texas.. Kinda blah. Nice track, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't make a trip to go there.

Atlanta.. It'd be easy for you to get to if you flew, as I think there's a flight from everywhere to Atlanta.. Racing hasn't been great lately.. I got to go after the repave in the late 90's and every race was pretty amazing. As the surface aged, racing declined.

Pocono used to be one of my favorite races to watch. The dropping of it to 400 miles took something away, IMO. Never been to the track..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,115 posts, read 2,280,358 times
Reputation: 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone. My son and I recently went to our 1st NASCAR race last week at Watkins Glen and wow did we have a blast! We are already planning on going back to the Glen next year but we would like to visit another track as well.

So my question is, what track would you recommend going too? We live in the Rochester NY area so we wouldnít want to have too drive to far. Maybe 10-11 hours max? We would be going there mainly for the race so we arenít really concerned with what else the area has to offer. Just curious which tracks you all recommend to see live. The closest track to us besides Watkins Glen is Pocano. Thoughts? Then I believe we get out to New Hampshire, Dover, Michigan, Martinsville, and Richmond. Bristol, Indy, Charlotte and Darlington are all 12 hours or more I believe. But I would consider them if itís really worth it.

Also if it matters my son is 8 now. I know some tracks offer kids tickets at a discount. My $125 ticket at Watkins was only $25 for him.

Thanks everyone and any input is appreciated.
I remember when they were free!

Id go to Pocono or Michigan, but thats me. Ive done Charlotte, Darlington, Atlanta and Bristol so much I dont really care to go back. Been to Dega once, going to Daytona next year for the 500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,207 posts, read 11,298,609 times
Reputation: 30844
We used to have permanent Cup tickets for Atlanta, Pocono, and Martinsville. Been to Cup races at Richmond, Daytona, Talladega, the Glen, and Charlotte.

We still go to Martinsville. It offers the best racing, period.

Will not go to any more 1.5 mile tracks. They are crappy races anymore.

Would gladly go back to Daytona, Talladega, and Pocono in that order.

Watkins Glen? Meh.. Not a road course fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,312 posts, read 858,698 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We used to have permanent Cup tickets for Atlanta, Pocono, and Martinsville. Been to Cup races at Richmond, Daytona, Talladega, the Glen, and Charlotte.

We still go to Martinsville. It offers the best racing, period.

Will not go to any more 1.5 mile tracks. They are crappy races anymore.

Would gladly go back to Daytona, Talladega, and Pocono in that order.

Watkins Glen? Meh.. Not a road course fan.
Thanks for the opinions so far everyone! I would love to go to Talladega and Daytona but donít think Iíll be able to make it this year. Right now I think we are leaning towards the June Pocano race or September Richmond race, along with Watkins Glen again. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
652 posts, read 393,453 times
Reputation: 705
I’ve been to Bristol, Dover, and Indy of the ones you mentioned.

Bristol would be my tops of those by far. You just have to see it.

Dover was really boring racing, all fuel mileage. Winner crossed the finish line 10 seconds ahead of P2.

Indy the history is incredible. The track is unreal to see. The racing is “meh”, and at best you can see a straightaway and 2 corners. I sat in Turn 4 apex for years. I would recommend the Indy 500 over Brickyard 400. The track really is made for open wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,393 posts, read 41,372,846 times
Reputation: 30280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thanks for the opinions so far everyone! I would love to go to Talladega and Daytona but donít think Iíll be able to make it this year. Right now I think we are leaning towards the June Pocano race or September Richmond race, along with Watkins Glen again. Opinions?

Unless you have no interest in any other racing I'd highly recommend the Canadian GP in Montreal. Not all that far from you and the city does it up right. And if you really want to WOW! your son as well as yourself try the NHRA National in Epping NH, nitro cars really must be experienced in person to get the full effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,754 posts, read 4,287,838 times
Reputation: 4744
Richmond over Pocono every time.. JMO

Daytona and Talladega are really the same race... but Talladega is a fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,833 posts, read 6,643,869 times
Reputation: 4206
Check out Darlington if you get a chance. Usually a good race and the tailgating is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top