U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever done this? I'm going out to visit my dad in Missouri next summer, and I'm thinking about us doing this together.. Taking my nephew as well.. Thinking get the kid a ride along, and my dad and I will do the Rookie experience.. 8 minutes going around Kansas Speedway.

They're running a sale now where the Rookie package is only about $300. I figure they'll run another sale between now and next June, which is when they'll be at Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 387,393 times
I have not done the Petty experience, but I've driven a similar class at Texas Motor Speedway. It was a gift from my wife for my 40th birthday.

I called her during lunch the first day, after two ten-lap tours around the track, and asked if she was trying to collect on my life insurance policy.
It was a blast!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
I did it at Charlotte some 15 years ago. Got up to I think it was 167 mph, but wanted to go faster but they kept slowing me down.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM

9,358 posts, read 6,254,641 times
I've done the ride along twice (I didn't do the driving class because I'm concerned about my reflexes. Our grandson did the class and loved it)

1st was at Charlotte and 2nd at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Because of track length, Charlotte felt like it was over before it began.

Indy, on the other hand, was remarkable. We hit 187 on back straight and it was almost as if it was in slow motion. I was able to pick out people in the stands.

Loved it and would do it again. I'd love 4 laps!

An aside, we visited Charlotte again this summer. Took the track tour in a 10 passenger van. The track was configured for the roaval, WOW!! Van averaged 75 with top speed of about 90

Old 07-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Wound up having to reschedule things. I took the boy up to Charlotte this weekend and let him do the ridealong. He enjoyed it, and he's not a race fan.

I don't often get a thank you that his parents haven't forced him to give.. But that got me an unprompted one.

Dad and I are looking to reschedule our driving experiences to October or November in Kansas. Which I think will work out much nicer as the temps should be decent. It was HOT in Charlotte this weekend.

Have to give a shout out to NASCAR/Petty Racing Experience.. 3 days before our trip we got the call that my brother was at the end of the journey in his battle with colon cancer. Their rules flat out say that 30 days prior there are no changes and no cancellation. They did ask for a letter from his doctors to confirm.. But once they got that, they gave me a credit, including waiving the $50 change penalty.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wound up having to reschedule things. I took the boy up to Charlotte this weekend and let him do the ridealong. He enjoyed it, and he's not a race fan.

I don't often get a thank you that his parents haven't forced him to give.. But that got me an unprompted one.

Dad and I are looking to reschedule our driving experiences to October or November in Kansas. Which I think will work out much nicer as the temps should be decent. It was HOT in Charlotte this weekend.

Have to give a shout out to NASCAR/Petty Racing Experience.. 3 days before our trip we got the call that my brother was at the end of the journey in his battle with colon cancer. Their rules flat out say that 30 days prior there are no changes and no cancellation. They did ask for a letter from his doctors to confirm.. But once they got that, they gave me a credit, including waiving the $50 change penalty.
Sorry about your brother!

Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sorry about your brother!

Yeah.. I haven't felt like dealing with the people over at the other topic yet. Need to get back in there and crack some heads.

But.. It's getting scary.. He wasn't within the guidelines for testing, being only 49.. Though I do believe those have been moved back to 45 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or