U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 PM
 
32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032

Advertisements

the fords seem to be doing better than i expected early in the race. we shall see what happens later on though.


sad to hear about sam bass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 PM
 
1,004 posts, read 575,790 times
Reputation: 1358
The late start was new this year. Glad to see the 11 win it for Gibbs sake. The wrecks happened late. Can never predict the Daytona 500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Murrica
3,137 posts, read 1,790,604 times
Reputation: 2129
Man that seemed to take forever. But there was definitely some good racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,800 posts, read 6,570,891 times
Reputation: 4155
So glad to see the both lanes being used in the race. It certainly made the 500 more exciting to watch. Too bad about the late crashes. You know it's going to happen eventually, but you kind of feel bad that so many good cars get caught up in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM
 
32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So glad to see the both lanes being used in the race. It certainly made the 500 more exciting to watch. Too bad about the late crashes. You know it's going to happen eventually, but you kind of feel bad that so many good cars get caught up in it.

yep very few wrecks for 191 laps, then the big one hits. and of course at that point in the race everyone is going for the win so that contributes to more wrecks. it seemed like it took almost as long to finish the race from lap 191, as it did to run the first 190 laps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM
 
2,765 posts, read 3,329,836 times
Reputation: 5480
I completely forgot the race was this past weekend. Sign of the times I guess. It is bad when you have lost touch with the sport so much that you don't even realize it is the weekend of the biggest race and miss the entire thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM
 
9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Reputation: 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sam Bass passed away.

As did flagman Doyle Ford.. This is one area where the loss of Jayski really hurts.. Things like this can slip through the cracks.


https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...e-ford-8174012



Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep very few wrecks for 191 laps, then the big one hits. and of course at that point in the race everyone is going for the win so that contributes to more wrecks. it seemed like it took almost as long to finish the race from lap 191, as it did to run the first 190 laps.
They could literally make it a 30 lap race and still have 80% of the excitement.

But.. Happy to see it was a pretty good race. I was very concerned it was going to wind up being follow the leader for 180 laps. the final 20 unfolded about as I expected.

I was really thinking we might see a first time winner based on the Truck and Xfinity races. And, McDowell and DiBennedetto gave it a good shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,183,480 times
Reputation: 4514
I heard the guys say, 'last plate race', is that true? Are they changing things? Or did I misunderstand them. Anyway, it was an okay race. Plate races will never be my fave. I fell asleep once somewhere in there. haha Usual wreck 'em robots at the end. That's more or less inevitable. Good to see Denny winning again. I was pulling for DiBenedetto but oh well. Can't always get out of the way of someone else's mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,800 posts, read 6,570,891 times
Reputation: 4155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I heard the guys say, 'last plate race', is that true? Are they changing things? Or did I misunderstand them. Anyway, it was an okay race. Plate races will never be my fave. I fell asleep once somewhere in there. haha Usual wreck 'em robots at the end. That's more or less inevitable. Good to see Denny winning again. I was pulling for DiBenedetto but oh well. Can't always get out of the way of someone else's mistake.
NASCAR is replacing restrictor plates with "tapered spacers". I believe they do pretty much the same thing. The spring 'Dega race will be the first to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM
 
32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Reputation: 19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is replacing restrictor plates with "tapered spacers". I believe they do pretty much the same thing. The spring 'Dega race will be the first to use them.

well yes they do, sort of. with restrictor plates, the airflow is virtually blocked, since they are not allowed to use tapered spacers to change how the air flows into the intake. with teh tapereed spacers, horsepower will still be cut heavily, but the airflow into the intake can be much smoother, and thus power is not cut as badly, so we may see cars that can pass without having to have a dance partner(so to speak).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top