U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 09:55 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times

Advertisements

Full Schedule for 2020:

Sunday, Feb. 9 The Clash
Thursday, Feb. 13 Duels at Daytona
Sunday, Feb. 16 Daytona 500
Sunday, Feb. 23 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 1 Auto Club Speedway
Sunday, March 8 ISM Raceway
Sunday, March 15 Atlanta Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 22 Homestead-Miami Speedway
Sunday, March 29 Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 5 Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 12 OFF
Sunday, April 19 Richmond Raceway
Sunday, April 26 Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, May 3 Dover International Speedway
Saturday, May 9 Martinsville Speedway
Saturday, May 16 All-Star Race at Charlotte
Sunday, May 24 Charlotte Motor Speedway
Sunday, May 31 Kansas Speedway
Sunday, June 7 Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, June 14 Sonoma Raceway
Sunday, June 21 Chicagoland Speedway
Saturday, June 27 Pocono Raceway
Sunday, June 28 Pocono Raceway
Sunday, July 5 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Saturday, July 11 Kentucky Speedway
Sunday, July 19 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Sunday, July 26 OFF
Sunday, Aug. 2 OFF
Sunday, Aug. 9 Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, Aug. 16 Watkins Glen International
Sunday, Aug. 23 Dover International Speedway
Saturday, Aug. 29 Daytona International Speedway

THE CHASE:

Sunday, Sept. 6 Darlington Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 12 Richmond Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 19 Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, Sept. 27 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 4 Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, Oct. 11 Charlotte Motor Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 18 Kansas Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 25 Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 1 Martinsville Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 8 ISM Raceway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The entire June to August stretch kinda sucks.. Chicago, Pocono, Indy, Kentucky and New Hampshire.
It certainly doesn't favor the old time fans.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:35 AM

650 posts, read 381,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It certainly doesn't favor the old time fans.
Iíve been a fan since the early 90s, and this probably doesnít move to needle one way or the other for me. Itís not the schedule, race format, points format, etc, anymore. I just have no rooting interest anymore. All the hardcore racers who grew up working a blue collar job on the weekdays to race on the weekends are gone. Guys like Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt, and Bill Elliott have given way to the Dillons (the Silver Spoon Bros), Ryan Blaney, William Byron, etc. I sort of root for Clint Bowyer now, but theyíll kick him to the curb soon. Thatís how it goes. Hit 40, forced retirement.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
I'm pretty happy with the tracks in the Chase, especially the short tracks. I'm not a big 1.5 mile fan, but I understand their necessity.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm pretty happy with the tracks in the Chase, especially the short tracks. I'm not a big 1.5 mile fan, but I understand their necessity.

I would prefer they break up Kansas and Texas. As it stands, the final elimination round is 2 mile and a halfers and Martinsville. But.. What are you going to trade either of them with from within the chase? Weather in late October would start to be a consideration.. so..

I wonder about the 2021 schedule.. Since all bets are off it would seem.. Might we see Iowa Speedway on the schedule? I've been there, it's a beautiful track with great racing.. But, it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It's in Newton, IA, which is about 20 miles or so outside of Des Moines, which is a metro area of only 500k people, I think. 650k

In years past, we'd say it was far too small and would have to expand seating as it only holds 30k people. But.. In today's NASCAR, that might not be out of the question.

After all, The Rock is being considered (by all accounts) and it only holds 35000.

Wilkesboro is too far gone. There are a few videos on youtube of it currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ITPNUgDTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfM95OEug2I

It would take less money likely to build a new track than to renovate that one.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Iíve been a fan since the early 90s, and this probably doesnít move to needle one way or the other for me. Itís not the schedule, race format, points format, etc, anymore. I just have no rooting interest anymore. All the hardcore racers who grew up working a blue collar job on the weekdays to race on the weekends are gone. Guys like Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt, and Bill Elliott have given way to the Dillons (the Silver Spoon Bros), Ryan Blaney, William Byron, etc. I sort of root for Clint Bowyer now, but theyíll kick him to the curb soon. Thatís how it goes. Hit 40, forced retirement.
I feel the same way. I have been watching when I can from the half way point or closer to the end. Just can't seem to get into it. I have noticed our posts don't really focus on a particular race anymore not like a few years back. You get a few responses of the past weekend but that is about it. Seems we are talking a lot more about NASCAR in general as it pertains to its current system.

Going back to before the 14th of the month we only talked about a particular race maybe for one or two posts.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-28-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Watching Unrivaled: Earnhardt on FS1 right now..........they are showing the rivalry with the then young gun Gordon and Earnhardt. Pretty neat seeing the sport explode with these two back in the day talking about the merchandising and sold out tracks each weekend. Pretty good if you can catch it......brings back a lot of memories of how on fire Gordon was!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Good god almighty NASCAR will do ANYTHING to prop up the idiotic Brickyard 400. Why don't they just turn IMS into a huge Figure-8 Track and let them run trailer races under the lights? That race is so freakin' played out. They moved it to September because the prevailing thought was "the heat is keeping fans away" (even though they showed up by the hundreds of thousands the first decade). That will last for a whopping 2 races before it's moved back to the dead of summer (see excuse previously mentioned). They can't even get 50,000 people to show up anymore. Pull the plug already.

If/when NASCAR trims the schedule, it should be one of the first races considered for elimination.

I'm glad they changed the finale. Homestead is a boring track, but TBH Phoenix isn't a whole lot better. Drop one of the Kansas races and make the finale a road course event at COTA in Austin.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-29-2019 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Good god almighty NASCAR will do ANYTHING to prop up the idiotic Brickyard 400. Why don't they just turn IMS into a huge Figure-8 Track and let them run trailer races under the lights? That race is so freakin' played out. They moved it to September because the prevailing thought was "the heat is keeping fans away" (even though they showed up by the hundreds of thousands the first decade). That will last for a whopping 2 races before it's moved back to the dead of summer (see excuse previously mentioned). They can't even get 50,000 people to show up anymore. Pull the plug already.

If/when NASCAR trims the schedule, it should be one of the first races considered for elimination.

I'm glad they changed the finale. Homestead is a boring track, but TBH Phoenix isn't a whole lot better. Drop one of the Kansas races and make the finale a road course event at COTA in Austin.

I'd actually be willing to consider staying in Indy.. At IRP. I think that'd be a good race to see the Cup series run on.

THAT might be a cool place to do a double weekend. Race at IRP on Saturday and IMS on Sunday.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
This article will ruffle some feathers.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2019/03/30...otor-speedway/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing