U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 05:56 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,964,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Junior suggested having Daytona as the championship race. I actually like the idea.

I could see that, I think it would be great place to end the season.

While watching "Unrivaled" I knew but I didn't know that that was such and epic climatic point for NASCAR in the nineties.

I guess when you are in the moment you don't realize it until later on when you compare it. Unrivaled was on again last night and again I was drawn to it. I knew NASCARs popularity was really strong but I am still amazed at how white hot it was. They say the first Brickyard 400 had over 250,000 spectators in attendance.

Perhaps NASCAR should listen to Little E and Gordon and let their perspective of how to right the ship at NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 827,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I have seen those. I havent watched much after Dale was killed. Its just not the same, its down right boring, along with that chase BS. Liven it up as in the old days. Have a few dirt track races. That should get the guys questioning their driving skills.
Not sure how Dale's death made the sport more boring. I think some of the last few years have provided some of most exciting racing/finishes in the last couple decades. Sure you have some races where they run single file most of the way with very little lead changes which was common when Petty, Dale, and Gordon raced as well, but stage racing has helped get rid of a lot of that.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:25 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Quote:
Junior suggested having Daytona as the championship race. I actually like the idea.

Why not just throw 4 drivers names into a hat and pick the champion?

Was thinking about this on the way in this morning.. What's been the biggest surprise of the season so far for you? I think I have to go with Daniel Suarez. Been running really well. Pretty consistent top 15 average, outside of Daytona. I think we might see him break through this year.I thought he would win before Jones and think he still has more raw talent.

Bad surprise.. Harvick isn't doing as expected.. Not horrible, but just not his normal self. Qualifying has been a fiasco.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,584,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Was thinking about this on the way in this morning.. What's been the biggest surprise of the season so far for you? I think I have to go with Daniel Suarez. Been running really well. Pretty consistent top 15 average, outside of Daytona. I think we might see him break through this year.I thought he would win before Jones and think he still has more raw talent.
Interesting how a change in teams can do for some drivers. You would have think that Suarez had the golden ticket driving for JGR. But he is excelling under SHR. Maybe Tony's guidance is what has helped him.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:20 PM

32,496 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Interesting how a change in teams can do for some drivers. You would have think that Suarez had the golden ticket driving for JGR. But he is excelling under SHR. Maybe Tony's guidance is what has helped him.

there are plenty of reason why a driver has such a change, not just a new team. heck a new crew chief at jgr might have made difference in how he runs. it could also be that he is finally learning the tracks and the lessons he needs to learn, or perhaps he is getting more respect now, or just more aggressive with his driving.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,805,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Why not just throw 4 drivers names into a hat and pick the champion.
Not sure I get that. You still have the final 4 on the racetrack. Just with a lot more intensity. Maybe people would watch. Because Miami and Phoenix numbers arenít very good.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,584,716 times
I know that DW has a love it or leave it personality, but he is going to be missed in NASCAR when he retires at mid-season with FOX.

Boogity.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,105,331 times
Quote:
Not sure I get that. You still have the final 4 on the racetrack. Just with a lot more intensity. Maybe people would watch. Because Miami and Phoenix numbers arenít very good.

But that's a track where, more than any other (except 'Dega) that driver skill plays very little into who wins. It's just luck of the draw. You pick the wrong lane at the end of the race, you finish 20th, pick the right one, you win.

Just about ANY other track, driver skill comes into the equation much more.. And, that's the kind of track I'd want to decide the champion. Same reason I wouldn't want to see a road course be the championship race. While those tracks arguably require the MOST skill from a driver.. It's a different set of skills to what NASCAR is generally about.

Now, perhaps I'll change my opinion with this new package. We shall find out here in a few weeks when they hit Talladega.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 AM

650 posts, read 383,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I could see that, I think it would be great place to end the season.

While watching "Unrivaled" I knew but I didn't know that that was such and epic climatic point for NASCAR in the nineties.

I guess when you are in the moment you don't realize it until later on when you compare it. Unrivaled was on again last night and again I was drawn to it. I knew NASCARs popularity was really strong but I am still amazed at how white hot it was. They say the first Brickyard 400 had over 250,000 spectators in attendance

Perhaps NASCAR should listen to Little E and Gordon and let their perspective of how to right the ship at NASCAR.
It was off-the-charts. There were ticket brokers who made their money solely from NASCAR because tickets were in such high demand. You couldn’t get a ticket to the Bristol night race. Now you can call the ticket office and still buy them week of the race (likely day of the race).

I think the personalities and the influx of new tracks really drove that period. It was bound to cool off, but when Earnhardt died, it fell off a cliff.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:49 PM

3,036 posts, read 2,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I know that DW has a love it or leave it personality, but he is going to be missed in NASCAR when he retires at mid-season with FOX.

Boogity.
Not by me! Im sure thousands of others feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing