U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times

Advertisements

martin truex jr held off a charging joey logano to win the 600 today.kyle busch chase elliot and ricky sttenhouse jr rounded out the top five. interesting race today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
martin truex jr held off a charging joey logano to win the 600 today.kyle busch chase elliot and ricky sttenhouse jr rounded out the top five. interesting race today.
This 600 was one of the better ones of recent times. Lot's of leader changes made it interesting. Truex Jr winning after he blew a tire and hit the wall early in the race was really cool. He and Joey had really fast cars at the end.

It was a loonnng race though. I finished watching it Monday afternoon on DVR.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:49 PM

so in the xfinity race today at pocono, cole custer made a last lap pass coming out of turn four to retake the lead from tyler reddick, and went on to win the race today. chase briscoe, ryan preece and christopher bell round out the top five.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 PM

so at pocono kyle busch won the race, brad k came in second with eric jones, chase elliot, and clint bowyer rounding out the top five. kind of a boring race though, no real close action except right after restarts, then the field got strung out.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:43 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
so at pocono kyle busch won the race, brad k came in second with eric jones, chase elliot, and clint bowyer rounding out the top five. kind of a boring race though, no real close action except right after restarts, then the field got strung out.
Well, that's Pocono lately. Hell.. It's been Pocono for 20+ years. We discussed this a while back, but Pocono was one of the tracks that has been hurt by the reliability of equipment and shortening the race. Not that I'm complaining about the distance, because 500 miles there was probably harder on the fans than the drivers.. But.. Like Dover.. That last 100 miles always seemed to shake things up.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
It was a boring race. Michigan usually isn't much better.

In other news, Kyle Busch tied Rusty Wallace in cup wins at 55. Next up The Intimidator at 76. That should be sometime next year at this pace! (But more realistically, 2022?)

Old 06-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It was a boring race. Michigan usually isn't much better.

In other news, Kyle Busch tied Rusty Wallace in cup wins at 55. Next up The Intimidator at 76. That should be sometime next year at this pace! (But more realistically, 2022?)

Wow.. I had to look that up.. That's a huge gap.

I think the big question is whether or not he can catch Pearson. We all know that Petty is out of reach so far as Cup wins.. There's just no way. He'd have to average 8 wins a year for the next 18 years. At which time he'd be 52 years old.

Pearson is doable, but even that I believe would be tough. 50 wins away, he's 34 years old.. Let's say he drives another 10 years.. 5 wins a year.. All the way up to 44 years old.. That'd be hard. in 15 years he has 55 wins.. He's currently averaging 3.5 to 4 wins a year over his career.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wow.. I had to look that up.. That's a huge gap.

I think the big question is whether or not he can catch Pearson. We all know that Petty is out of reach so far as Cup wins.. There's just no way. He'd have to average 8 wins a year for the next 18 years. At which time he'd be 52 years old.

Pearson is doable, but even that I believe would be tough. 50 wins away, he's 34 years old.. Let's say he drives another 10 years.. 5 wins a year.. All the way up to 44 years old.. That'd be hard. in 15 years he has 55 wins.. He's currently averaging 3.5 to 4 wins a year over his career.
Jimmie Johnson is now 43, hasn't won a race since Dover in 2017, so nearly two years. He's stuck at 83. I always thought at the blistering pace JJ was winning races that he would surpass Jeff Gordon (93) easily. But now I don't see it happening unless he can quickly turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ retire at the end of this year or next.

Early 40's seem to be the time that drivers lose their edge. If KB drives to 44 as you mentioned, he would have been racing stock cars/trucks for 28 straight years!! I mean, you can see that Kyle LOVES racing. But racing like he does is rough on the body and family. Kyle will solidly be in fourth place. If anyone can pass Jeff or even get close to Pearsons, it will be Kyle.

One interesting thing I just read on Reddit...a Reddit user put together this stat. Lee Petty had been at 54 wins until KB passed him. Lee had been in the top 10 all time winning drivers since 1949. 69 years and 8 months. Until Kyle passed him and dropped him to 11th place in the all time list.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Jimmie Johnson is now 43, hasn't won a race since Dover in 2017, so nearly two years. He's stuck at 83. I always thought at the blistering pace JJ was winning races that he would surpass Jeff Gordon (93) easily. But now I don't see it happening unless he can quickly turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ retire at the end of this year or next.

Early 40's seem to be the time that drivers lose their edge. If KB drives to 44 as you mentioned, he would have been racing stock cars/trucks for 28 straight years!! I mean, you can see that Kyle LOVES racing. But racing like he does is rough on the body and family. Kyle will solidly be in fourth place. If anyone can pass Jeff or even get close to Pearsons, it will be Kyle.

One interesting thing I just read on Reddit...a Reddit user put together this stat. Lee Petty had been at 54 wins until KB passed him. Lee had been in the top 10 all time winning drivers since 1949. 69 years and 8 months. Until Kyle passed him and dropped him to 11th place in the all time list.

That is a neat stat.

There's noone that I can see now that has any chance of getting to the point that Kyle will wind up at.. And, I agree with you.. Getting to the Allison/Waltrip level.. I fully expect. getting past that.. Starts getting a little more questionable.

He certainly has a shot at Pearson, but it's far from guaranteed.

Harvick is next behind him, and he's 10 wins back and almost 10 years older. Harvick will be lucky to hit 50 wins, and it's a long shot that he catches Rusty. The only person I think has a shot at reaching where Busch is NOW would be Joey Logano. Good number of wins already and still young.

The thing is.. Busch loves to race. But, I think Kurt does as well, and word is... This is his final year. He's only 40, though will turn 41 before the season ends.

Your age of 40 being the downturn.. Honestly, I'ev always thought the switch happened at around 45. Now, you have some people.. The ageless Mark Martin, for example.. Harry Gant.. Martin turned 40 in 1999.. He won 11 of his 40 races after 40.

Gant.. Hell, he didn't WIN until he was 42. All his 18 wins were after age 42 with his best at age 51.. You realize he's 79 this year? That seems wrong. I met him at Charlotte about 10-12 years ago. He had these massive calloused hands..

But no question.. 45 is probably the average of where things go downhill.

Last edited by Labonte18; 06-03-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 AM

After 5 years, NASCAR is returning to single-car qualifying this weekend at Dover. No more multiple elimination-style system that got fouled up earlier this year at Auto Club and TMS.

NASCAR is also promising to show every qualifying attempt on TV so every car/sponsor gets some air time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing