U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:27 PM

9,567 posts, read 7,252,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
The last lap I expected the announcer to say ....."He is slowing down. He is out of gas"

I expected it to be said of more than one driver/car.

Next year, at least one of the Pocono races is only going to be 350 miles.

I don't think they've announced the distance of the Saturday race. They say they expect it to be 350 miles, but that could change.

God forbid there's a rainout for the weekend there. Though I do think it would be kinda cool to see 700 miles run on a Monday.

Quote:
Practice and single-car qualifying for the first Cup race will take place Friday, June 26, and cars will be impounded thereafter. Drivers will use the same cars for both races, with the starting order for the second race determined by an inversion of the cars remaining on the lead lap at the end of Race 1, reporters learned Saturday during the announcement at Pocono.

So, let's take results from yesterday.. Michael McDowell, who finished 25th would be the pole sitter for the Sunday race and Hamlin would start 25th

But, what they haven't said.. If you wreck out of race #1.. Can you go to a backup car for race #2? I mean, seems only logical.. If you ELECT to go to a backup car.. Let's just say your car sucked.. Could you go to a backup car and just start at the rear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 12:13 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,268,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

But, what they haven't said.. If you wreck out of race #1.. Can you go to a backup car for race #2? I mean, seems only logical.. If you ELECT to go to a backup car.. Let's just say your car sucked.. Could you go to a backup car and just start at the rear?

I think they will be able to if they crash out, and like you said go to the back. If your car just sucks, too bad, but I think Nascar will give them overnight to work on it, not an impound. I do think though, there will be some "blown engines" or something along those lines.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 PM

32,666 posts, read 26,666,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I think they will be able to if they crash out, and like you said go to the back. If your car just sucks, too bad, but I think Nascar will give them overnight to work on it, not an impound. I do think though, there will be some "blown engines" or something along those lines.

i also think they will allow back up cars if you wreck out in race one. but i think you will see the teams all bring motors used for the world 600 being put in these cars, so you may not see more blown engines than you would normally see in a 600 mile race. but the race being at pocono, you will see a higher number of cars running out of gas late in the second race, and you might even see a higher rat of wrecked cars late in the second race just due to the fatigue factor.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 AM

3,102 posts, read 2,268,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i also think they will allow back up cars if you wreck out in race one. but i think you will see the teams all bring motors used for the world 600 being put in these cars, so you may not see more blown engines than you would normally see in a 600 mile race. but the race being at pocono, you will see a higher number of cars running out of gas late in the second race, and you might even see a higher rat of wrecked cars late in the second race just due to the fatigue factor.
What I meant was, that there will be those who claim blown engines, or transmissions or whatever, just to have a fresh one in the car.

Lets say its going to be 350 one day, 350 the next. Add in qualifying and practice, it could be pushing 800 - 850 miles. You have a fresh back up engine in the truck. What do you do? Do you really want to trust an engine with say 400 miles to go another 350, or do you swap the engine, go to the back and risk it, or???? Id bet there would be a couple of teams try it.

Now, having said that, how many blown engines do you see anymore? Not many, and they are usually from the lesser sponsored teams who have to reuse an engine, unlike say a Hendrick or Penske who have engines in reserve and can swap them out before the next race. Heck, my old baby bomber probably had 2000 miles on it before it needed overhauled, and that was back in the early 90s.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:43 AM

1,305 posts, read 854,124 times
Eldora Dirt Derby tonight on FS1 @ 9:00pm. Always a fun one!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Eldora Dirt Derby tonight on FS1 @ 9:00pm. Always a fun one!
And it was again!

Old 08-04-2019, 03:40 PM

after a rousing battle that lasted more that 20 laps chase elliot held off martin truex jr to win the race at watkins glen. it was fun watching these two guys run nearly perfect laps for more than 20 laps.

hamlin, jones and blaney round out the top five.

by the way, elliot led 80 of the 90 laps in the race today. great job chase.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,634,862 times
What was up with the 18 Sunday? Spinning out the 24 was not called for. The 24 had nothing to do with the 18's first spin in the beginning of the race, the 18 just got loose.

Also I was glad to see the 43 stick up for himself when the 18 got aggressive with him. It was fun though to see Kyle get mad and bump and bang a few cars.

The last restart with 9 & 19 was very exciting as well.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
What was up with the 18 Sunday? Spinning out the 24 was not called for. The 24 had nothing to do with the 18's first spin in the beginning of the race, the 18 just got loose.

Also I was glad to see the 43 stick up for himself when the 18 got aggressive with him. It was fun though to see Kyle get mad and bump and bang a few cars.

The last restart with 9 & 19 was very exciting as well.

i think kyle busch was having a "bad weiner day"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DZtCsXJx4

and yes elliot and truex jr had a rousing battle on that last restart. i was concerned they might take each other out.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM

5,826 posts, read 6,634,862 times
No doubt Kyle will bounce back and be his normal self when the Chase starts. He just needs to be careful who he antagonizes since payback could come at the worst time for him.

I think a lot of drivers may be a little peeved (or jealous) of him and are starting to make it harder for him to move up the field especially when he gets stuck at the back. It seemed like drivers would get out of his way in the back of the pack, but now seem to be challenging him more and making him work harder. Kyle doesn't like that it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing