Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I just don't see how they can do that with the loads on these cars.

I've seen the report you're referring to.. But i'm skeptical on it. That seems, to me, to be one of the things that they 'want' to do, that just isn't feasible.

actually a shorter sidewall can be done in nascar, but again that means changes in spring rates, shock rates, and antiroll bar rates. it also means tire pressures wont mean as much as a tuning device as they are now.

one advantage is that when a tire lets go, the corner of the car wont drop as far as they do now, and it might be easier for the drivers to avoid turning into the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:55 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually a shorter sidewall can be done in nascar, but again that means changes in spring rates, shock rates, and antiroll bar rates. it also means tire pressures wont mean as much as a tuning device as they are now.

one advantage is that when a tire lets go, the corner of the car wont drop as far as they do now, and it might be easier for the drivers to avoid turning into the wall.

I will give one thing.. I have to believe it would cut down on cut tires due to contact. Still have the valve stem possible to be knocked off, but.. Less sidewall means less area to cut.

I personally hate those low profile tires or whatever they call them.. And I remain skeptical. But.. We shall see. They've got far smarter people than me working on it.

Oh.. And I'd say the drop is less a problem than the fact that.. You know.. You have a tire with no air in it and it's very hard to turn with one of those..

Old 08-24-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Oh.. And I'd say the drop is less a problem than the fact that.. You know.. You have a tire with no air in it and it's very hard to turn with one of those..

just remember the shorter the sidewall, the stiffer the tire is. so losing air means the tread isnt flopping around nearly as much as tires with a taller sidewall will.

and that can mean getting rid of the inner liner at tracks that use them, making the wheel and tire combo lighter over all. though i suspect that nascar will still mandate the inner liner at some tracks.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Fans will lose their minds.

Go further. Like Indy cars. Then add the air jack, no more jacking one side and then running around to the other side. Then later, just make them autonomous. No more b***hing drivers. I think their changes over the years have lost enough fans and viewership. They need something to spice it up, like adding a dirt track or two.
This is probably a bit extreme. But NASCAR has slowly been making the pit crew a less important part of the racing experience. I hate to see that because I enjoy watching the crews compete.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
On some of these cookie cutter tracks, the only excitement and passing takes place in the pits.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Good special on NBCSN about the Wood Brothers. Catch if you get the chance.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:34 PM

well the southern 500 will go off soon, a bit late due to the weather though.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 AM

eric jones wins tonights southern 500, good job there eric. kyle larson runs second, kyle busch third, with kevin harvick and bradk rounding out the top five.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Got to give props to the all of the NASCAR fans that hung in there for the Southern 500. The grandstands looked nearly packed even at nearly 2AM!! Certainly one of the most favorite races of the season for fans.

Kyle was a little bit whiny about his performance early Monday morning. Seemed like he blamed his crew more than himself for hitting the wall. Also wondered why NASCAR didn't throw a caution flag with 2 laps to go, trying to imply because it was because of some sort of conspiracy or something. It's a good thing G/W/C wasn't needed. If there was one, the 18 would have finished farther back, plus a good chance the 42 could have passed the 20 (his teammate) for the win.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Last race before the playoffs is Sunday at Indy. As of right now Bowyer and Suarez are in and Newman and Johnson are out. Who makes it and who doesn't? Or will another driver win a race that's currently out of the playoff race?

I think Jimmy will have a good race and lock up one of the spots. As far as the other spot goes I'm rooting for Bowyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing