Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times

Advertisements

Heres an article about the Supra, although it seems to be written by someone who doesn't know Nascar.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota...-ar181754.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Sad News. Joe Gibbs son J.D. Gibbs, 49, passed away due to a neurological disorder. JD had been president of JGR for a time.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...00000004642929

Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Sad News. Joe Gibbs son J.D. Gibbs, 49, passed away due to a neurological disorder. JD had been president of JGR for a time.

JD really built JGR. His dad was the salesman.. He was the nuts and bolts guy. Team effort.. Both of them got it to where it is today.

I've brought this up before.. Scenery so far as ownership is going to be very different in 10 years. Gibbs, I suspect Coy and the grandkids will likely be the ones taking over there. Childress.. They've said Gordon may take over Hendrick.. Roush.. Penske.. They aren't young guys.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
JD really built JGR. His dad was the salesman.. He was the nuts and bolts guy. Team effort.. Both of them got it to where it is today.

I've brought this up before.. Scenery so far as ownership is going to be very different in 10 years. Gibbs, I suspect Coy and the grandkids will likely be the ones taking over there. Childress.. They've said Gordon may take over Hendrick.. Roush.. Penske.. They aren't young guys.

the roush and penske teams are part of larger corporations, so they are "safe" as it were. they will have someone named as director of motorsports or something like that. same with hendrick. the teams that will have big changes, or even go away will be the ones that are not tied to big companies. but the names will change as the owners do, as someone will step up and buy the teams assets.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:06 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
What concerns me is that as the more "corporate" guys take over from the guys who love racing, what will happen?

As an old time Pearson and Yarborough fan, I'd hate for it to get more anti-septic.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
What concerns me is that as the more "corporate" guys take over from the guys who love racing, what will happen?

As an old time Pearson and Yarborough fan, I'd hate for it to get more anti-septic.
That is a big concern for everyone who loves racing. Even racing owners such as Tony Stewart are forced to be more "corporate" so they can have the funds to compete.

While I would like to see Jeff take over HMS one day, Jeff is very corporate, but hopefully his love for racing will come through.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM

468 posts, read 355,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Even though he has been suffering from a very progressive brain disease for 3-4 years, it is indeed very sad news of his passing.

A truly wonderful human being and was credited with saving the life of driver Neil Browder with a heroic rescue of Browder from his burning race car...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.65b9cc45718a

Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 AM

955 posts, read 744,144 times
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-...ood-dead-at-93

Old 01-18-2019, 06:46 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
And all-time great of NASCAR.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't think that the decline in viewership and race ticket sales is something that can be stemmed in a single season. What NASCAR needs to see is a decline in the decline, so to speak. They want to know, as do the sponsors, that they are at least getting close to the bottom... Once they have hit bottom and things start to level out then they can start thinking of new ways to bring in more viewers and more sponsors.

I think that even at the bottom, there are enough fans to maintain the type of fan base they had in the mid to late 80s.
I foresee more losses in viewership and lower attendance. Nascar is doing a fine job of running itself into the ground. I along with numerous friends and relatives used to have tower seats to both races at Talladega and also used to travel to a couple of races each year and watched every single lap of every race each year. We quit renewing our seats years ago because the racing sucked and the drivers had no personality. It has turned into a bunch of corporate glad handing. Myself, my brother and my cousin did not watch a single lap of a single race last year. I can't even tell you who won the championship. It is sad and it sucks because we used to really enjoy the races. I had been a Nascar fan since I was a kid and now I can't stand to even have the race on playing in the background while I am working on something.

I emailed Nascar back around 2006 and told them they were headed down the wrong path and were going to ruin the sport. I told them they were going to kill attendance and lose TV viewership. I received a corporate form response thanking me for my thoughts blah, blah, blah. I could give them advice and turn them back around but they wouldn't take it and now I am just plain mad and they would have to pay me for my services so that will never happen. If they don't get someone in there soon to correct the course, they are going to go the way of other auto racing formats and become completely irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing