U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 01:05 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,183,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the clash itself will be telling. its one thing to go out and practice with a few cars, its another thing to be around a pack of cars in a race.
At one point there was a rather large pack, for the Clash practice, until Chase made a dumb move and wrecked 4 of them. It was good that Nascar let the 4 and 6 teams change tires on the track to keep from tearing up the cars when they haul them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,790,604 times
Hendricks showed a lot of HP during qualifying.

I'm going to the race, so I hope it's not 2 hours of that single file BS again that the Clash was today.

Anyone else think JJ has lost his touch?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 PM

32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
i think JJ had a bad season, and is poised for a comeback this year. as jeff gordon once said, you dont suddenly forget how to drive a race car.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Hendricks showed a lot of HP during qualifying.

I'm going to the race, so I hope it's not 2 hours of that single file BS again that the Clash was today.

Anyone else think JJ has lost his touch?
I'll be there as well and I am with you. Although i expect to see some single file racing, i hope its not the common theme... I didn't have a huge problem with the clash results yesterday. I do think the wreck was certainly Jimmy's fault.. but name a driver who hasn't caused a big wreck and i will show you a driver who hasn't won a race... it was basically a last lap desperation move.. knowing the rain was on them, Jimmy made a desperate move.. got a little lose side drafting and wrecked the field. Personally, i want my favorite driver (not jimmy) trying to win the race vs riding around in a single file.. I didn't like the end result but i would have hated it even more had Jimmy stayed put and the race ended with everyone running single file... At least now we have something to talk about vs how boring the Clash really was...

Old 02-11-2019, 06:30 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I'll be there as well and I am with you. Although i expect to see some single file racing, i hope its not the common theme... I didn't have a huge problem with the clash results yesterday. I do think the wreck was certainly Jimmy's fault.. but name a driver who hasn't caused a big wreck and i will show you a driver who hasn't won a race... it was basically a last lap desperation move.. knowing the rain was on them, Jimmy made a desperate move.. got a little lose side drafting and wrecked the field. Personally, i want my favorite driver (not jimmy) trying to win the race vs riding around in a single file.. I didn't like the end result but i would have hated it even more had Jimmy stayed put and the race ended with everyone running single file... At least now we have something to talk about vs how boring the Clash really was...
I agree, it was time to GO with the rain coming. JJ misjudged somewhat and sucked the 21 down into him. Lesson learned. Rather it be learned now than Sunday.

JJ has that look in his eye. He's going to be someone to be reckoned with this year.

And how about William Byron winning the pole with his new crew chief Chad Knaus?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree, it was time to GO with the rain coming. JJ misjudged somewhat and sucked the 21 down into him. Lesson learned. Rather it be learned now than Sunday.

JJ has that look in his eye. He's going to be someone to be reckoned with this year.

And how about William Byron winning the pole with his new crew chief Chad Knaus?
I think Jimmy has a chip on his shoulder... could be a good thing.. we'll soon find out.

Personally, i like Jimmy.. he is not my favorite but after meeting him a few times, i can tell you he is not a JERK in anyway... he is easily one of the most respectable racers today. He certainly caused yesterday's wreck and seemed a tad unapologetic about it... but i count on one hand the number of bone head moves he has made that caused big crashes.. everyone is guilty of it.. Jimmy a lot less than others!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,790,604 times
JJ used to drive his cars on the edge. It's how he got 7. I just seem him spin more and clip other cars at a rate that he didn't in the past. Maybe it's the new cars, but IMHO, he just doesn't seem the same.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
I tell you.. I'm really worried this is going to be 500 miles of follow the leader. Excuse me.. 490 miles of follow the leader. I'm having flashbacks to the 2000 race.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 PM

32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I tell you.. I'm really worried this is going to be 500 miles of follow the leader. Excuse me.. 490 miles of follow the leader. I'm having flashbacks to the 2000 race.

well you can blame the powers that be of nascar that keep doing everything they can to make the competition as equal as possible, and to slow the cars down for "safety" reasons. and instead of using their heads to slow the cars down, they just drop on ever smaller restrictor plates, instead of using gear rules, taking away aero devices, using rev limiters in the EFI computers, etc. all that combines to make large packs of race cars bunched together, and making the cars less stable so that one tiny mistake takes out 1/3 of the field because the cars cant accelerate or decelerate very well, especially since nascar doesnt mandate much in the way of brakes.

in the old days, even at daytona and taledega, when you hit the brakes the cars actually slowed down. thee days if you hit the brakes, you burn them up.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Because its such a long race, you know we will see some single file racing.. no one wants to do something stupid early and take themselves out. That's the purpose of the stages, hang a carrot out there for the drivers to race for but in the end, the carrot is simply not big enough to warrant a huge risk... but once we get down to 10 to go, hopefully things will heat up. I can smell a late race (<10 laps) caution (debris) flag coming, if need be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing