U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

9,986 posts, read 9,820,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It was a racing incident, nothing more. IMO the stewards screwed the pooch.
Agreed. That was nothing short of a THEFT. Vettel won that race. No harm was done to Hamilton's car, and if Vettel hadn't caught the back end, both cars would have been collected.

That ruling by the stewards was ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 AM

3,686 posts, read 5,847,420 times
With apologies to Mr. Bumble, "If the rule book supposes that, …....the rule book is an ass — an idiot.”

Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 AM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Heres the incident,judge for yourself, looked to me like Vettel left the track and came back on in a very dangerous manner =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Fk8pywVGg

Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,178 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres the incident,judge for yourself, looked to me like Vettel left the track and came back on in a very dangerous manner =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Fk8pywVGg

The car had a little case of snap oversteer and Vettel had his handles full trying not to crash is the way I see it, it certainly doesn't look like he "left the track" intentionally.

At least 3 former F1 champs, Andretti, Button, and Mansell have said the stewards' decision was just wrong.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times
I suspect the steward's ruling was because Hamilton had to brake hard to avoid being forced into the wall. The thing in Vettel's favor is that he was ahead at the begining of the incident and didn't actually gain a position by leaving the track and coming back on, but the thing against Vettel is that he was clearly not in control of the car and Hamilton was entirely the one who had to take action to avoid a crash.

Although I am not particularly a Ferrari fan - and less and less of a Vettel fan since he's been driving for Ferrari - I am not sure that was worth a 5 second penalty.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-10-2019, 12:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,795,310 times
It's nanny state racing. It is becoming follow the leader as any bold moves with get you a time penalty.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM

53 posts, read 19,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The car had a little case of snap oversteer and Vettel had his handles full trying not to crash is the way I see it, it certainly doesn't look like he "left the track" intentionally.
It's impossible for us to tell how much of Vettel's steering input was solely to maintain control and rejoin the track and how much was intended to block Hamilton. The car-control skill of these drivers is so far beyond what we are capable of, or can even comprehend, we can't tell what was a correction and what was a move. IMO, it's possible that the big turn of the wheel to the right was intended solely to block, although it is possible it was just to avoid the wall. As I said we don't know. But the stewards, having more experience and possibly even being very successful drivers themselves, (Emanuelle Pirro was very successful in sports cars, I think) are more capable of judging steering inputs and what was necessary and what was extreme.

Here are the facts as I see them:
1. Vettel made a mistake and left the track.
2. He did not lift.
3. He rejoined the track and impeded another driver.
4. He was penalized for this.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:29 PM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times
The stewards have access to telemetry, too.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 13,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Here are the facts as I see them:
1. Vettel made a mistake and left the track.
2. He did not lift.
3. He rejoined the track and impeded another driver.
4. He was penalized for this.
Agree 100%. After watching the incident and listening to the announcers and former drivers I think Rosberg has the most convincing argument. Heís raced with both of them and makes a solid point; if you donít like the rule then change it.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 9,820,247 times
Now I'm just a canyon carving good-old-boy without any formal driving school training, but from the in-car view it looks to me like Vettel did a textbook countersteer to catch the back end. If he hadn't steered to the outside, the car would have gotten sideways and both cars, from Vettel's perception since he couldn't be exactly sure how close Hamilton was throughout the whole thing, could have gotten tangled up. I think the stewards should have taken that into account and just let it go as just another racing deal, not irresponsibility or malicious intent on Vettel's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing