U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM

1,292 posts, read 426,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm watching FP2 and surely these commentators are being paid per word.
I think they need to hire about 10 or 12 more. There are a few guys who drove F1 20 years ago still out there without announcer jobs.

Thank God for the Mute button. Damn boring race, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
You didnít miss much. I tried to stream it via ESPN3 (the replays mind you, the next morning) and every feed was messed up (qualifying, practice, and race). Non-stop choppiness. Not buffering, just like the feed was skipping every other second. I tried multiple other ESPN feeds for other sports, no issues. Disappointing.

Yeah, overall I think F1 coverage was better a few years ago, I certainly enjoyed Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett more than the Sky Sports crew. And I just have the bad feeling that Liberty Media will be more interested in providing entertainment than a good racing series. There's already been a proposal for every team to use the same gearbox internals, I'd really hate to see F1 become a spec-car series.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I think they need to hire about 10 or 12 more. There are a few guys who drove F1 20 years ago still out there without announcer jobs.

Thank God for the Mute button. Damn boring race, too.

I used to enjoy listening to James Hunt when we got snippets of his commentary, not sure if any currently retired drivers have his combination of wit, irreverence, and actual seat time in an F1 car.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM

650 posts, read 382,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, overall I think F1 coverage was better a few years ago, I certainly enjoyed Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett more than the Sky Sports crew. And I just have the bad feeling that Liberty Media will be more interested in providing entertainment than a good racing series. There's already been a proposal for every team to use the same gearbox internals, I'd really hate to see F1 become a spec-car series.
I couldnít get enough when it was SPEED Network with Bob Varsha as lead. Used to get up early on Sunday morning and watch F1 with a fresh pot of coffee. That was before kids though...

Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I couldnít get enough when it was SPEED Network with Bob Varsha as lead. Used to get up early on Sunday morning and watch F1 with a fresh pot of coffee. That was before kids though...

I remember sitting thru 1:20 of such Wide World of Sports features as Sumo and (really) Tiddlywinks to see 00:10 of the Monaco GP, SPEED Channel was such a great thing to watch entire races live after those days. Why I don't know but I actually woke up and watched the Australian GP live, old habit dying hard I guess. But yeah, Varsha was top-shelf and often had a good crew with him. It's gonna be interesting to see what the next major rules revisions brings, hopefully they don't move in the direction of spec cars.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
I actually like Martin Brundle and Paul DiResta. Can't stand Crofty. Wasn't all that thrilled with Hill, either.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I actually like Martin Brundle and Paul DiResta. Can't stand Crofty. Wasn't all that thrilled with Hill, either.

Those two are OK, but I'd take my favorite SPEED Channel trio back in a NY minute!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
The thing about the current crew is that they are actually on site, not broadcasting from a studio somewhere. That means they actually get a chance to talk to team engineers and principals and, I think, get more useful nuggets than having to rely on official PR and twitter.

I vaguely remember either Hobbs or Varsha (or maybe both) getting in to some contretemps back when they were on site and being "disinvited".
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-21-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The thing about the current crew is that they are actually on site, not broadcasting from a studio somewhere. That means they actually get a chance to talk to team engineers and principals and, I think, get more useful nuggets than having to rely on official PR and twitter.

I vaguely remember either Hobbs or Varsha (or maybe both) getting in to some contretemps back when they were on site and being "disinvited".

I'm not sure but judging by some of the things Matchett used to come up with made it seem that if not always during the race he had spent time on the phone and or internet with a number of people in the paddock very close to lights out. It seemed Matchett was pretty well connected with the garage crews who may well tell a different story than the PR people. Years ago I knew someone with contacts at Porsche. At one race, either Sebring or Daytona I believe, one of their cars retired and the 'official' cause given by the factory was electrical failure. What they didn't say was the cause of then 'electrical failure' was a connecting rod leaving the engine and severing a battery cable on its way out.

I can't remember, I believe the American crew was on site for Monaco and the USGP, not sure if they also used to attend the montreal race?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM

684 posts, read 183,344 times
I like the Sky Sports announcers, but I think NBC had better announcers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing