Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Be interesting to see him get a full MotoGP test to see if he'd be close to competitive times.
Hamilton says he is going to test one: Hamilton says he will test MotoGP bike

I am sure one of the manufacturers will give him the opportunity - if only for the publicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I watch the replays of practice and qualifying on ESPN2. I have noticed that in my area the replays are all on ESPN2.
I try and watch the races live, but the early ones can play havoc on my schedule, so those I watch the of replay too.
ESPN should be committed to F1. If they can find time and money for the spelling bee, they can buy the F1 rights.
The ESPN original core was showing all sports across the US.
What the spelling bee has, but F1 doesn't have:

Articles about and results in virtually every newspaper in the United States.

Replays on virtually every network news broadcast, every cable news channel, almost every local news broadcast, and so on.

Advertisers wanting to be associated with this traditional endeavor showing amazing young boys and girls doing what, to most people, seems to be an incredible thing.

Anyway, blame Liberty Media, not ESPN, for the present state of F1 broadcasting in the U.S.

It started when they insulted NBC, which had put a lot of money and effort into their F1 broadcast, by saying their deal was a “popcorn fart.” Hardly anybody had ever heard of a popcorn fart, but they assumed it wasn't a good thing: https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/new-...corn-fart.html

For some reason, Liberty thought that the U.S. TV rights were a valuable thing, even though average live plus same-day-replay viewership for the race was about 550,000, in a country of 330 million people. The practices have about the same viewership as an air fryer infomercial.

This year's first race, the one that “everybody” was waiting for, the one that usually has viewership way above average, had 649,000.
SKEDBALL: Weekly Sports TV Ratings 3.11-3.17.2019 | Showbuzz Daily

Well, Liberty lost NBC, and they couldn't find anybody else who wanted to pay for it, so they gave it to ESPN. They just broadcast the Sky Sports feed.

At first, they tried having commercials during the broadcasts, but since the Sky feed didn't have any provision for commercial interruptions, and since they weren't willing to add any, it was very disruptive. That's why it ended up being commercial free on ESPN.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 AM

287 posts, read 212,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

At first, they tried having commercials during the broadcasts, but since the Sky feed didn't have any provision for commercial interruptions, and since they weren't willing to add any, it was very disruptive. That's why it ended up being commercial free on ESPN.
So now (at least for the 1st race this year) they pause the live feed to insert commercials, then, after the commercials, they resume the live feed where they left off. Still somewhat disruptive, but better than a popcorn fart.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The implications of a hard Brexit for F1 teams, who have 3/4 of their employees based in England:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/27/...eat-of-brexit/
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-27-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
So now (at least for the 1st race this year) they pause the live feed to insert commercials, then, after the commercials, they resume the live feed where they left off. Still somewhat disruptive, but better than a popcorn fart.
Not exactly - the live F1 race is still shown roughly commercial-free. The replay is shortened with commercials cut in (last year, anyway, I haven't seen this year's). The practices still have commercials, even on the live feed.

The original idea was the Liberty would have their own feed, with their own announcers. They haven't been able to make that happen. They were hoping to have the temporary measure of simulcasting 2018 on Skysports be a one-year stop thing, but here we are, Year 2 of that. Liberty still has control of the world TV feed, although host broadcasters like Sky are able to get the entire broadcast, including several camera feeds. When NBC had the feed, they were only given the single feed and had to rely on whatever it chose to show - they could then record and replay, showing whatever was missed when it cut to commercial.

I have been critical of Sky's coverage, mostly because I don't like the very "shouty" James Croft who needs both a volume control and a mute button, but after watching the Indy telecast, I realized that they have one big plus - Sky and the television crew are not dependent on the teams for any of their livelihood or on future rides. The Indycar coverage is prettty sycophantic toward Indycar and the teams - they follow the party line entirely. You'll never catch them being very critical of anything (which must just kill the loudmouthed and often obnoxious Paul Tracy).

Old 03-29-2019, 09:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I just found ESPN's F1 site has a link to live practice, you have to sign in thru your TV provider, something to keep in mind whee future sessions aren't broadcast.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:50 PM

You sure that isn't on ESPN3, which is ESPN's pay channel? For those of us using either apps through Amazon or on DirecTV, that is a monthly streaming fee channel.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You sure that isn't on ESPN3, which is ESPN's pay channel? For those of us using either apps through Amazon or on DirecTV, that is a monthly streaming fee channel.

It actually was ESPN3. Funny thing is when I tried to stream some of the Australian events on ESPN3 that weren't broadcast I got a message that DirectTV didn't allow me to stream it. For some unknown reason I was able to do so yesterday with FP2 and I haven't paid any streaming fees. The link was on Formula 1 News, Live Grand Prix Updates, Videos, Drivers and Results - ESPN and was marked Watch Live (US only).

Old 03-31-2019, 12:54 PM

For the first time I was glad to see a race finish behind a safety car.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:09 PM

I thought Toto and Lewis showed some class not cheering the misfortunes of their rivals, and it looks like Seb has a very challenging year ahead of him. Nice to see a McLaren in the points, now if only Williams could make some miraculous progress over the season.

Last edited by burdell; 03-31-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing