U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 01:14 AM

5,213 posts, read 5,868,580 times

Advertisements

Niki Lauda, three-time Formula One world champion, dies at 70

Sad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
Sad to hear about Niki, liked all the tributes on the cars and around town in Monaco.

Also, watching P2 at Monaco, I don't care how many times the commentators insist that Monaco is the greatest race, it's still very low on my list of F1 races.

And, lol, a writer who is clearly trying to prove a point:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.bb06a185bf89

Alonso's failure to qualify at Indy was entirely due to the car (note that McLaren fired the car designer & team boss). Last time he was able to hop into a top car and do extremely well, having only driven an oval a couple times in practice.

I'd certainly agree that Indycars are more more physical to drive - fewer power assists and a lot more "sawing".
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 PM

1,292 posts, read 427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Also, watching P2 at Monaco, I don't care how many times the commentators insist that Monaco is the greatest race, it's still very low on my list of F1 races.
I've resorted to 'Mute' with these azzholes. They just don't EVER shut up. All 53 of them.

And Spa is the greatest race.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 PM

18,552 posts, read 19,538,464 times
Quote:
Sad to hear about Niki, liked all the tributes on the cars and around town in Monaco.

Alonso's failure to qualify at Indy was entirely due to the car (note that McLaren fired the car designer & team boss). Last time he was able to hop into a top car and do extremely well, having only driven an oval a couple times in practice.

I'd certainly agree that Indycars are more more physical to drive - fewer power assists and a lot more "sawing".
Zac Brown had a article in the local paper basically saying Mclaren was unprepared when they arrived at Indy starting with no steering wheel and car painted the wrong color.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ed/3748427002/

Old 05-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,175 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:

The Monaco race I wish they'd cover is the Vintage GP held every other year. Some truly priceless cars being raced and it's no parade, they slide those cars around between the ARMCO as if they can just sign on to Rock Auto and get what they need should they screw up.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I've resorted to 'Mute' with these azzholes. They just don't EVER shut up. All 53 of them.

I'm convinced they must get paid by the word, they use so many to say so little.

Quote:
And Spa is the greatest race.

I think a perfect European vacation would be tickets to Spa and to Monza which is usually the week after.
Although given the current state at Ferrari Monza probably wouldn't be as much fun as when they're competitive.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think a perfect European vacation would be tickets to Spa and to Monza which is usually the week after.
Although given the current state at Ferrari Monza probably wouldn't be as much fun as when they're competitive.
I'm with you. See if you can get a package deal, and I'll start packing.

And then it off to Japan!

Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm with you. See if you can get a package deal, and I'll start packing.

And then it off to Japan!

I'm surprised we haven't seen one of the companies doing GP trips put those two together. Spa's an awesome track and Monza just has so much history I loved to see it plus it's in Italy! And the beer and chocolate's pretty damn good in Belgium!

Old 05-26-2019, 01:04 AM

5,213 posts, read 5,868,580 times
Quote:

I have been there as a spectator (V8 era) and the atmosphere was fantastic, much better than ex. Spa. Watching the race on TV is a snoozefest, though.

I think McLaren should replace Brown after the Indy fiasco.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM

3,685 posts, read 5,847,420 times
Quote:
It's a spectacular venue, but the race is almost unwatchable.

This year's race was over in the first turn. Even though Hamiton had the wrong tires, nobody could pass him. If they would have tried and made contact, the stewards would have penalized them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing