U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 AM

58,210 posts, read 41,115,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I have tickets for the inaugural Indy race here in Austin. Tickets are 1/10th the cost of F1.

Just curious, do you know what the price ranges of F1 vs. IndyCar tickets were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,824,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Except for one at a corner, the grandstands, including the main one, had very few spectators - probably numbering in the hundreds for each.
The main stands at COTA are one of the worst places to watch. Turn 15, is the most prized. As I said, it was 60% full. The grassy area next to it had a lot of people and the turn 1 grass had a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just curious, do you know what the price ranges of F1 vs. IndyCar tickets were?
I've been to both. I don't have F1 tickets for this year yet, but the turn 15 tickets are some of the most expensive for F1. But 1/10th is more a reflection of the re-sale prices, not face value.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I've been to both. I don't have F1 tickets for this year yet, but the turn 15 tickets are some of the most expensive for F1. But 1/10th is more a reflection of the re-sale prices, not face value.

I'm also curious if it's a day trip for you or do you stay in the area? I remember an AutoWeek article I believe after the first GP at COTA stating motels were asking in the neighborhood of 10X their normal rates for rooms during the GP weekend.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:50 PM

3,721 posts, read 5,870,887 times
Quote:
I'm also curious if it's a day trip for you or do you stay in the area? I remember an AutoWeek article I believe after the first GP at COTA stating motels were asking in the neighborhood of 10X their normal rates for rooms during the GP weekend.
Robin Miller, the Indycar journalist and TV commentator, said he went downtown to for dinner every night and nobody knew there was a race, so rooms probably weren't commanding premium prices.

https://racer.com/2019/03/27/robin-m...-racing-hpd/2/

Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 1,824,474 times
Quote:
F1 is a totally different game. You can tell the difference in Austin. Even San Antonio hotels raise prices.

Quote:
Robin Miller, the Indycar journalist and TV commentator, said he went downtown to for dinner every night and nobody knew there was a race, so rooms probably weren't commanding premium prices.
Austin folks were surprised that there was a race when I posted practice photos on Friday.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:

https://racer.com/2019/03/27/robin-m...-racing-hpd/2/
Quote:
Austin folks were surprised that there was a race when I posted practice photos on Friday.

Gotta wonder about the long term future of the series if their promotional efforts are so lax, hard to bring people in if they don't know there's a race going on.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:49 PM

9,426 posts, read 6,307,805 times
Slightly off topic, but our grandson is in Motorsport Engineering. He wanted a F1 polo. Cost was 5-10 times higher than any IndyCar or NASCAR team polo

F1 licensing fees are onerous!

Worse than NHL, NFL, NBA or NLB

Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Slightly off topic, but our grandson is in Motorsport Engineering. He wanted a F1 polo. Cost was 5-10 times higher than any IndyCar or NASCAR team polo

F1 licensing fees are onerous!

Worse than NHL, NFL, NBA or NLB

I miss the good ol' days at Watkins Glen. Teams would try to reduce what they had to ship back to Europe as well as make some pocket money, you could stroll through the post-race paddock and if so inclined by team gear, car parts, used tires etc. for a few bucks. A friend's brother somehow managed to buy a pair of team overalls early in the weekend and gained access just about anywhere he chose to go.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM

9,426 posts, read 6,307,805 times
Quote:
I miss the good ol' days at Watkins Glen. Teams would try to reduce what they had to ship back to Europe as well as make some pocket money, you could stroll through the post-race paddock and if so inclined by team gear, car parts, used tires etc. for a few bucks. A friend's brother somehow managed to buy a pair of team overalls early in the weekend and gained access just about anywhere he chose to go.
"Old" days is right

I remember the same at Mid-Ohio IndyCar weekend. (No tires, they went back for inspection)

Old 05-11-2019, 05:11 PM

34,497 posts, read 41,630,408 times
I was watching todays race and couldnt help but notice huge swaths of vacant seating,while many may watch this racing product on tv does anyone actually go to the events as the place looked empty?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing