U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 AM

151 posts, read 27,881 times

Advertisements

I doubt Jimmy Johnson will win another race--ever.

I hope he proves me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM

32,709 posts, read 26,788,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Jimmy Johnson's best days are behind him and it's all down hill from here on.

Happens to nearly every racer who hangs on too long past his prime.

Bill Elliott had a great career but was not impressive at the end, also.

The list could go on and on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Bill was actually quite good at the end of his career.. I'm talking his full time career here. He should have won his final two races.. He won 2003 Rockingham and 2003 Homestead he cut a tire on the backstretch while having a commanding lead on the last lap enabling Bobby Labonte to get the win. He wasn't in contention for a championship or anything, but he won races each year and was a factor in most races.

His three years with Evernham were 3 of his best years since 1993. His time driving for his own team was.. Not great. He was generally a top 10 points driver until 1997.. and then things just passed him by and he rarely contended and never won. But hooking up with Evernham was the best thing that happened to him. Really had a resurgence.

After he retired as a full time driver.. Yeah, he was driving R&D cars for Evernham.. Doing fill in work.. Driving for the Wood Brothers during their part time schedule.. Not successful there, but.. I don't think anyone was going to be successful in those situations.

we shall see what happens with jimmy johnson, and perhaps his best days are behind him, he is 43 as we all know, so perhaps his career is winding down. maybe he doesnt have the drive he one had to win races, or perhaps he is just in a slump and the new crew chief will turn things around. jimmy still seems competitive on the track, but the rest of the team seems to let him down when he needs them most.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,304,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we shall see what happens with jimmy johnson, and perhaps his best days are behind him, he is 43 as we all know, so perhaps his career is winding down. maybe he doesnt have the drive he one had to win races, or perhaps he is just in a slump and the new crew chief will turn things around. jimmy still seems competitive on the track, but the rest of the team seems to let him down when he needs them most.
2 in one year, nah. I think he just doesnt care anymore. Hes made his money, and continues to make money, and will continue to make money after he retires. so why should he care anymore? JMO.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM

changing of the guard

The young guns coming up are pretty darn good.

I don't like "change", but it seems no place is immune to change and certainly not NASCAR.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 AM

5,857 posts, read 6,662,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
If JJ misses the Chase and doesn't win this year, he should go ahead and make 2020 his retirement tour. I hate to see this happen to him, but he has shown no spark in two years. He has the best equipment, so obviously its JJ.

JJ and JG should move into taking over HMS and let Rick start to wind down.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 AM

583 posts, read 1,328,930 times
Isn't his name Jimmie Johnson?
And yeah, I have been a fan since Jeff brought him into Cup cars and had Lowes as his sponsor. My brother worked for Lowes, but Mike Skinner could not keep the car out of the wall. It's kind of sad to see how far Jimmie has fallen. I would like to see him get one or two more wins. But, I have followed Chase since he was about 15, and when Jimmie retires, i'll swap my allegiance to the #9.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM

I have always been wrong in the past about the " new guns" coming up.

I remember when I first saw Kyle Busch.

I told my son.." the punk younger brother of Kurt who will try to ride Kurt's coat tails and never amount to anything"

Boy, was I wrong !

Old 08-27-2019, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 116 times
[url]https://bellyupsports.com/2019/08/jimmie-johnson-is-done/[/url]

Most people think he is done. I think on the other hand he's got something left. These guys might think a bit differently.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:04 PM

164 posts, read 31,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
Isn't his name Jimmie Johnson?
And yeah, I have been a fan since Jeff brought him into Cup cars and had Lowes as his sponsor. My brother worked for Lowes, but Mike Skinner could not keep the car out of the wall.
The RCR 31 Lowes Car Skinner had was nothing at all like the 48 Lowes Car Jeff Gordon provided Jimmie Johnson with. The 48 team took over the already-proven 24-team gear when Jeff wanted to build something new. That never worked out for Jeff but it sure did for Jimmie. Imagine starting off NASCAR with a championship-caliber equipment? Jimmie definitely took advantage of what was given to him, that's for sure.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:01 PM

9,658 posts, read 7,325,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
The RCR 31 Lowes Car Skinner had was nothing at all like the 48 Lowes Car Jeff Gordon provided Jimmie Johnson with. The 48 team took over the already-proven 24-team gear when Jeff wanted to build something new. That never worked out for Jeff but it sure did for Jimmie. Imagine starting off NASCAR with a championship-caliber equipment? Jimmie definitely took advantage of what was given to him, that's for sure.

Lots of people do that now. Tony Stewart started at JGR in 99, a year before Labonte won the championship.. Completely new team.. I personally think that was tougher because JGR went from 1 to 2 cars.

Hendrick went from 3 to 4 (I think.. They never had 5, right? That was Roush) and the 48 was in the same shop as the 24.. Yes, it was a new team, but there's a much bigger difference going from 3 to 4 cars than from 1 to 2, IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or