U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM

82 posts, read 16,140 times

Advertisements

This season , I've noticed he hasn't been performing as good as he use to in previous years. He always seems to finish in the 20s and 30s these days. Has Jimmy Fallin' off a cliff? Is he near the end of his illustrious career?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM

32,682 posts, read 26,742,871 times
i dont think so. i think the young guns have come on hard, and may be slightly better than johnson overall, and it doesnt take much to make a really good driver an also ran. understand you never forget how to drive. and many things affect a drivers performance, and much of that isnt the drivers fault. new aero packages for instance might not be compatible with a particular drivers skill set for instance.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 AM

3,129 posts, read 2,289,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaldude12 View Post
This season , I've noticed he hasn't been performing as good as he use to in previous years. He always seems to finish in the 20s and 30s these days. Has Jimmy Fallin' off a cliff? Is he near the end of his illustrious career?
I think his career is winding down, and with the opening in the Fox booth, we could see Johnson and Gordon reunite as team mates soon. Just my opinion. Like Gordon, Jimmy will have an affiliation with Hendrick, so he may go on to be a director of some such there. New sponsor, new crew chief, so thats part of his down slide this year but doesnt explain all of it. Plus, I think hes just tired of it.

In the end, Jimmy Johnson will forever be Jimmy Johnson no matter what he does.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,888,909 times
All the Hendrick cars have fallen off, but Jimmy seems to have fallen harder.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
All the Hendrick cars have fallen off, but Jimmy seems to have fallen harder.
Ill agree with that to a point. For example - the 88 car. It never really performed, even with Jr driving it. Consistant 15th place finished was the norm for Jr., and while Bowman has seemed to to better in it, its still not up to Hendrick levels from the past. Remember, this was origianlly the "25 car" which didnt do all that great in Cup to start with, no matter who drove it. (Cant really say thats the problem though, as times have changed.)

Byron was put in a cup car too early IMO. Should have drove X at least one more year, maybe 2. There were drivers who could have driven that car just as good as he is doing. (This was the old 5 car, remember.) Elliott I feel is doing OK, just OK. He has gotten better, but needs to get out of the shirt tails of his father, and be his own person, which isnt going to happen I dont think.

My point, I do think the performance has dropped somewhat, but when fill your stable with ponies, its going to take a while to turn them into thoroughbreds.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM

5,841 posts, read 6,650,812 times
JJ's own car did better than the driver Sunday, finishing 15 spots ahead of him.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,888,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Ill agree with that to a point. For example - the 88 car. It never really performed, even with Jr driving it. Consistant 15th place finished was the norm for Jr., and while Bowman has seemed to to better in it, its still not up to Hendrick levels from the past. Remember, this was origianlly the "25 car" which didnt do all that great in Cup to start with, no matter who drove it. (Cant really say thats the problem though, as times have changed.)

Byron was put in a cup car too early IMO. Should have drove X at least one more year, maybe 2. There were drivers who could have driven that car just as good as he is doing. (This was the old 5 car, remember.) Elliott I feel is doing OK, just OK. He has gotten better, but needs to get out of the shirt tails of his father, and be his own person, which isnt going to happen I dont think.

My point, I do think the performance has dropped somewhat, but when fill your stable with ponies, its going to take a while to turn them into thoroughbreds.
All good points.

I know some will want to burn me at the stake, but I never thought Jr. was that good.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
All good points.

I know some will want to burn me at the stake, but I never thought Jr. was that good.
He was a good driver up until the COT, with that stupid wing. His crew chief was old school, didnt understand what to do to make it work for Jr. At that point though, it didnt matter, he was Jr, so he pretty much could do whatever and make money. There was also his dispute with DEI, AKA Theresa. Im sure his sister played some sort of roll in it as well, but Joe Gibbs basically handed him an open contract, just write his terms in and drive the car. If I understood him correctly, Kelly though Hendrick would be better to drive for Since Toyota didnt have the cars Chevy did at the time, and Sr did drive for Hendrick for a very short while, maybe 2 or 3 races, IIRC.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM

9,636 posts, read 7,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sr did drive for Hendrick for a very short while, maybe 2 or 3 races, IIRC.

I can't find that.. I thought you might have been right so far as a Busch race or something, but I can't find anything where Sr drove for Hendrick in the Busch series either (Though Tony Stewart did drive one Daytona Busch race for Hendrick and won)

As for Junior.. There's lots of things that could be pointed at.. There was the general decline of DEI.. His burns.. Concussions.. The falling out with Teresa.. Switch to the COT.. All of those things, in general, occurred at the same time.

Which one or what combination of them led to his lack of performance? I couldn't tell you.

Remember his rookie year, they came out pretty good.. Winning early at Texas and then Richmond in the first 11 races, then winning The Winston.. They finished 4th at the Coke 600, 10th at Dover.. Then.. The wheels came off (literally at one point).. He didn't have another top 10 the rest of the season and lost ROtY to Matt Kenseth, who deservingly won it.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't find that.. I thought you might have been right so far as a Busch race or something, but I can't find anything where Sr drove for Hendrick in the Busch series either (Though Tony Stewart did drive one Daytona Busch race for Hendrick and won)
Hmm. I may be mixing it up with the one time he drove for Childress for a year, left and came back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or