Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, I know IRL or Formula 1 has one, but while I don't think NASCAR does, is their a "minor league" that has one that could be in NASCAR in a year or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
NASCAR.COM - Zero*black drivers doesn't mean progress is lacking - Feb 4, 2008

Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
I think it will happen soon and that will be great. My DS was acquainted with Marc Davis in school and I think he still keeps in touch. Whenever I see his name in local racing results or racing news, I always stop to read what it says. I hope he finds success. Being with the Gibbs organization doesn't hurt either!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Just wondering, I know IRL or Formula 1 has one, but while I don't think NASCAR does, is their a "minor league" that has one that could be in NASCAR in a year or two?
NASCAR has numerous divisions. What most people think of, however, is the "Cup" series, now known as the "Sprint Cup." There are several other series that are well known, such as the Camping World (formerly Craftsman) Truck and the Nationwide (formerly Busch) series.

There are also other divisions that are not so well known. These series could be thought of as "minor leagues," as you put it. These include the Camping World East and West series, Whelen Modified Tour, and others. Information about these series can be found on NASCAR's Local Racing website at this link:
NASCAR Home Tracks

Anyway, with all that said, there is at least one driver that has competed in the Camping World West series that is black: Tim Woods III. He has made an effort to reach out to minority youth to promote the sport of auto racing. He has raced in this series for several years, most recently last season. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about him racing in the 2009 season.

There are also several other Sanctioning bodies for stock car racing other than NASCAR that may have black drivers, though I can't think of any off the top of my head. These series include the SRL, ASA, and North State Challenge series in the Southwest region. I believe there are a few others in other parts of the country. I know there has been a lot of work towards driver diversity in recent years, though most of what I've seen has been focused on getting women behind the wheel.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
My friend sent this to me in an email a while ago. hope you enjoy it lol

David Letterman's Top 10 reasons why there are no black NASCAR drivers:

# 10 - Have to sit upright while driving.

# 9 - Pistol won't stay under front seat.

# 8 - Engine noise drowns out the rap music.

# 7 - Pit crew can 't work on car while holding up pants at the same time.

# 6 - They keep trying to carjack Dale Earnhardt Jr.

# 5 - Police cars on track interfere with race.

# 4 - No passenger seat for the Ho.

# 3 - No Cadillacs approved for competition.

# 2 - When they crash their cars, they bail out & run.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY BLACKS CAN'T BE IN NASCAR... # 1 - They Can't wear their helmets sideways.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
My friend sent this to me in an email a while ago. hope you enjoy it lol

David Letterman's Top 10 reasons why there are no black NASCAR drivers:

# 10 - Have to sit upright while driving.

# 9 - Pistol won't stay under front seat.

# 8 - Engine noise drowns out the rap music.

# 7 - Pit crew can 't work on car while holding up pants at the same time.

# 6 - They keep trying to carjack Dale Earnhardt Jr.

# 5 - Police cars on track interfere with race.

# 4 - No passenger seat for the Ho.

# 3 - No Cadillacs approved for competition.

# 2 - When they crash their cars, they bail out & run.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY BLACKS CAN'T BE IN NASCAR... # 1 - They Can't wear their helmets sideways.
That's terrible, though I did find it mildly amusing. I hope others are not offended by this, and see it for what it was meant to be, just plain old humor.

Now, I hope that there will someday be more blacks competing in auto racing, as we've seen with a few hispanics over the last few years (Aric Almirola, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Ruben Pardo, for instance). It is always good to have some diversity, and it would help eliminate the "redneck" stereotype associated with NASCAR.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Yeah i ain't racist but when i saw it i laughed. But i feel that we need more black people and even women in Nascar... All the more why i am a Danica Patrick fan

Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
I was gonna post the same one, but didn't want to offend anyone...However, it is humorous...I heard Letterman got into some hot water tho about it...

Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,202 times
I'm all for it. How about diversity in the NBA as well.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
I can't believe a real fan would even care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing