Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

I've noticed of late many of the tracks are showing less and less of attendance...yes the economy is partly to blame, as well as waning interest of fans (both long time and short time).

However, it truly was upsetting to see how empty the track was at Michigan.
I've personally been to that track twice and yes it's huge, but still many many empty seats.

Not only am I concerned for the sport and with GM pulling out of some of it, but what broke my heart was to see how bad this has affected Michigan.

Lots of empty seats for lots of non-working people who can't afford to go anymore.

Sigh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
I noticed that too Mrs. P, I can't remember ever seeing Michigan that empty before in all the years they have raced there.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Wonder if one could've bought a race tix for a dollar like some of the homes up there? Guess not, by the look of the attendance.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,294 times
I couldn't believe how many empty seats there were yesterday but I did expect to see a good many with the way the economy is up there. However, with all of the empty seats that there have been at every race this season you would think the ratings would be going up but they haven't. I really think the interest in Na$car is waning.

I have watched Na$car for many years and my interest is now slim to almost none. We went from going to 5-6 races a year to 1, Darlington. But we are rethinking about going next year. It's just not fun anymore.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Yea and they go back there in 5 weeks. C'mon NASCAR, give Darlington a Fall Race and lose some of these unexciting tracks....

Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Yea and they go back there in 5 weeks. C'mon NASCAR, give Darlington a Fall Race and lose some of these unexciting tracks....
Ayuh!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
The damn track is BORING!!! Same with Cali and Pocono and Kansas. I may be wrong, but didn't Cali have attendance problems (big time)? I am all for NASCAR going back to the roots, such as Rockingham and North Wilkesboro.

Oh and actually let teams go back to driving different cars. When I started watching NASCAR, they had Oldsmobile, Chevy, Pontiac, Ford, Dodge. Now car manufacturers are seperated by name only. The cars are all the same. And get rid of the *** company. THIS IS AN AMERICAN SPORT!!!

Rant over.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The damn track is BORING!!! Same with Cali and Pocono and Kansas. I may be wrong, but didn't Cali have attendance problems (big time)? I am all for NASCAR going back to the roots, such as Rockingham and North Wilkesboro.

Oh and actually let teams go back to driving different cars. When I started watching NASCAR, they had Oldsmobile, Chevy, Pontiac, Ford, Dodge. Now car manufacturers are seperated by name only. The cars are all the same. And get rid of the *** company. THIS IS AN AMERICAN SPORT!!!

Rant over.
As the old saying goes 'be careful what you wish for.' Before the COT debuted the cars were referred to as 'common template' cars. Why did NASCAR do this? The COT and the CT cars are a culmination of years of whining & complaining from owners, drivers, and fans about parity; this car has a lower air dam, that car has a more aerodynamic nose, this car has a smaller rear spoiler, our roof line is taller than theirs. Wah, wah, wah.
Now that NASCAR has dictated the car that competitors use the whining from drivers & owners about aerodynamic parity has ceased. The fact of the matter is ALL the races are boring, but we watch for that glimmer of a last turn sling shot pass, or the under dog who wins his first race, or the hopes the unpopular but seemingly unbeatable driver will have a bad day.
Would you be still watching NASCAR had they decided not to create some sort of parity and allow the Pettys, Pearsons, Yarboroughs, Jarretts of yesteryear and the Gordons, Earnhardts, Stewarts, Johnsons, & Buschs of today blister the field week in and week out with double digit margins, or worse yet, mutiple lap margins of victory? Be honest, you would be doing the same thing you are doing now;

Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
As the old saying goes 'be careful what you wish for.' Before the COT debuted the cars were referred to as 'common template' cars. Why did NASCAR do this? The COT and the CT cars are a culmination of years of whining & complaining from owners, drivers, and fans about parity; this car has a lower air dam, that car has a more aerodynamic nose, this car has a smaller rear spoiler, our roof line is taller than theirs. Wah, wah, wah.
Now that NASCAR has dictated the car that competitors use the whining from drivers & owners about aerodynamic parity has ceased. The fact of the matter is ALL the races are boring, but we watch for that glimmer of a last turn sling shot pass, or the under dog who wins his first race, or the hopes the unpopular but seemingly unbeatable driver will have a bad day.
Would you be still watching NASCAR had they decided not to create some sort of parity and allow the Pettys, Pearsons, Yarboroughs, Jarretts of yesteryear and the Gordons, Earnhardts, Stewarts, Johnsons, & Buschs of today blister the field week in and week out with double digit margins, or worse yet, mutiple lap margins of victory? Be honest, you would be doing the same thing you are doing now;
Good post!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I basically started watching as a kid years ago. What kept me watching was the awesome crashes. With the COT they seem to be fewer of them. I'm actually favoring the Nationwide Series now because they still have the speed without the aerodynamics of the COT...thus making for some good wrecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing