Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Number of races Carl Edwards is Suspended from.
0 12 80.00%
1 0 0%
2 3 20.00%
3 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
And by saying this; "Each and every driver out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and racing." you are basically condoning a free-for-all. So by your reasoning:
Driver A is spun out by driver B. Driver A gets tires, speeds down pit road rams into the car of driver B, but that's okay because "Each and every driver out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and racing."

You arrive on the job at a high rise consruction site and discover no safety equipment on site, not even hard hats. When you inquire of this you are told "Each and every worker out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and working."

You are on a dream cruise and notice there aren't not any life vests or rafts. When you enquire of this you are told "Each and every passenger out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and boarding."
Your user title is self describing.

If you want to watch sanatized racing...more power to ya.

So how many drivers have died because another driver intentionally wrecked them? I think we all know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
And by saying this; "Each and every driver out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and racing." you are basically condoning a free-for-all. So by your reasoning:
Driver A is spun out by driver B. Driver A gets tires, speeds down pit road rams into the car of driver B, but that's okay because "Each and every driver out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and racing."

You arrive on the job at a high rise consruction site and discover no safety equipment on site, not even hard hats. When you inquire of this you are told "Each and every worker out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and working."

You are on a dream cruise and notice there aren't not any life vests or rafts. When you enquire of this you are told "Each and every passenger out there assumes a huge risk just by showing up and boarding."
Your user title is self describing.
Don't find myself agreeing with KentuckyDad much, but in this case, he's absolutely correct. I think you're taking his position and amplifying it to make it seem preposterous. Many of this sports greatest highlights came not only from feats of speed and maneuvering, but from the ability of the guys to "mix it up" a little with each other to exact their own levels of justice WHILE UNDER the watchful eye of the sanctioning body.

This is not the first time an over-eager young driver has received his comeuppance from a wiley veteran. Heck even the pure veterans duke it out with each other out there. Do you recall the infamous action of the 79' Daytona 500? There are many that contend that the Allison/Yarborough incident pretty much put NASCAR on the fast track to the popularity that it has seen in recent years?

If you take a step back and think about it, there was nothing wrong with Edwards dumping the kid on Sunday, except for the freak reaction of the car when it spun around. Heck, maybe we can argue about whether the rookie should have tried harder to keep his car going forward so it wouldn't have lifted off! But that sentiment is just as ludicrous as people who are looking for the 99 to be punished.

Face it, stuff happens at a race track and alot of it happens without malicious intent. The sport was built with that premise and it needs to go on with that premise (at least to alot of fans, that is). I can't speak for these johnny-come-lately "fans" that have no idea of "I just wanted to rattle his cage" means! But I wish they'd go find their own sport to ruin.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Don't find myself agreeing with KentuckyDad much, but in this case, he's absolutely correct. I think you're taking his position and amplifying it to make it seem preposterous. Many of this sports greatest highlights came not only from feats of speed and maneuvering, but from the ability of the guys to "mix it up" a little with each other to exact their own levels of justice WHILE UNDER the watchful eye of the sanctioning body.

This is not the first time an over-eager young driver has received his comeuppance from a wiley veteran. Heck even the pure veterans duke it out with each other out there. Do you recall the infamous action of the 79' Daytona 500? There are many that contend that the Allison/Yarborough incident pretty much put NASCAR on the fast track to the popularity that it has seen in recent years?

If you take a step back and think about it, there was nothing wrong with Edwards dumping the kid on Sunday, except for the freak reaction of the car when it spun around. Heck, maybe we can argue about whether the rookie should have tried harder to keep his car going forward so it wouldn't have lifted off! But that sentiment is just as ludicrous as people who are looking for the 99 to be punished.

Face it, stuff happens at a race track and alot of it happens without malicious intent. The sport was built with that premise and it needs to go on with that premise (at least to alot of fans, that is). I can't speak for these johnny-come-lately "fans" that have no idea of "I just wanted to rattle his cage" means! But I wish they'd go find their own sport to ruin.
My point exactly, however Kydad seems to want it to go as far as maiming other drivers further escalating the risk by allowing poor judgement and temper flares to rule the track. The only rhetoric he can reply with is calling it "sanitized racing." I have no problem with a bump and run, fender banging and such. I am more impressed with someone who can pull close enough to the car in front to take the air off the rear without touching the car. However the second bolded line is what I'm talking about, Edwards admitted he didn't expect that and obviously not too many other people did either. As I said earlier these cars are hammering straight-away speeds at the 1.5 mile tracks equal to the plate tracks.......it was stupid.
While it maybe true no one has died from payback do you really want there to be a first?
BTW, the racing "scenario" I described is why AJ Foyt was permanently banned from driving in NASCAR. That driver didn't die either.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
My point exactly, however Kydad seems to want it to go as far as maiming other drivers further escalating the risk by allowing poor judgement and temper flares to rule the track. The only rhetoric he can reply with is calling it "sanitized racing." I have no problem with a bump and run, fender banging and such. I am more impressed with someone who can pull close enough to the car in front to take the air off the rear without touching the car. However the second bolded line is what I'm talking about, Edwards admitted he didn't expect that and obviously not too many other people did either. As I said earlier these cars are hammering straight-away speeds at the 1.5 mile tracks equal to the plate tracks.......it was stupid.
While it maybe true no one has died from payback do you really want there to be a first?
BTW, the racing "scenario" I described is why AJ Foyt was permanently banned from driving in NASCAR. That driver didn't die either.
Stop ASSUMING what I am thinking. Contrary to what you ASSUME, I don't want anyone to die. A hard crash? Sure. I'm fine with it. Hell, watch old Darlington races. People crashed and went outside of the entire track!!!

NASCAR in it's current state is on life support. Had NASCAR punished Edwards, it would have been the final nail in the coffin. All drivers would see that Edwards got punished and they would back-off their own racing intensity. It took years for NASCAR to kill their own sport and it will take years to build it back up.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
I had to laugh at Edwards' explanation of the crash, because the "I didn't mean for that to happen" excuse probably isn't going to cut it when somebody gets injured.

I'm by no means a NASCAR expert, so I'm sure all of the gurus will feel free to rip me a new one, but it seems odd that this kind of behavior will only be frowned on by some if a driver is seriously injured. I understand the idea of putting a young whippersnapper in his place, but it's not like we're playing a video game here - aren't the risks very real?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
When Hamlin intentionally spun BK out in Miami last year, he did exactly that and it was dropped. Why? Because the car didn't flip. Speeds were the same. 1 1/2 mi track. Denny went as far as saying the race prior to Miami that he was going to get him. He only decided to run that race strictly for revenge. If Carl had not flipped Brad's car, I dont think this debate would be on page #4

I give thanks to NASCAR for the slap on the wrist. It would have went against what they preached they were not going to do this year. Let em' race! The good that will come from this is BK will/should tone it down. If he doesn't, then he's as dumb as he looks and that smirk will get wiped off his face yet again...........

At least this has diverted the attention from my boy #18 being the most hated

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I'm kind of surprised they didn't sit him down. I wonder how long before they (NASCAR) change their minds about letting the drivers police themselves. Should be interesting when/if it happens again and the players involved.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Stop ASSUMING what I am thinking. Contrary to what you ASSUME, I don't want anyone to die. A hard crash? Sure. I'm fine with it. Hell, watch old Darlington races. People crashed and went outside of the entire track!!!

NASCAR in it's current state is on life support. Had NASCAR punished Edwards, it would have been the final nail in the coffin. All drivers would see that Edwards got punished and they would back-off their own racing intensity. It took years for NASCAR to kill their own sport and it will take years to build it back up.
I am still curious (I bet some others are as well) why do you even watch/ follow NASCAR? The two threads you have posted so far this season have been some sort of variant of the bolded text. Nothing new or informative, just rhetoric. Between that and your responses it's quite easy to assume what you're thinking.
Many years ago I became bored with football. Guess what? I stopped watching.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I'm kind of surprised they didn't sit him down. I wonder how long before they (NASCAR) change their minds about letting the drivers police themselves. Should be interesting when/if it happens again and the players involved.
If NASCAR is one thing it's predictable, I would have been shocked had they suspended Edwards.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
At least this has diverted the attention from my boy #18 being the most hated
Nah, I still hate the Shrub!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing