U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

497 posts, read 395,713 times

Advertisements

NASCAR to me isn't really athletic, so i wanted to know what the nation thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
Awesome that you made this in the basketball forum.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM

53 posts, read 32,216 times
Moved this thread to auto racing. Someone please and thank you.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
moved!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,879 times
I believe it is. Because you have to be physically fit to be in the cars, you have to be fit enough to not weigh down the car, and with the excessive heat inside the car puts strain on the body while going at anywhere from 150-200 MPH at any time.

As Darrell Waltrip once said, sit in a car in a sweater and with the heater full blast for 3 hours and gripping the steering wheel the whole time, then you'll know what it is like.

^^I know it isn't the actual quote, but it is the gist of it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I believe it is. Because you have to be physically fit to be in the cars, you have to be fit enough to not weigh down the car, and with the excessive heat inside the car puts strain on the body while going at anywhere from 150-200 MPH at any time.

As Darrell Waltrip once said, sit in a car in a sweater and with the heater full blast for 3 hours and gripping the steering wheel the whole time, then you'll know what it is like.

^^I know it isn't the actual quote, but it is the gist of it.
I will disagree with you on that level because all drivers are not created equal. You have someone who is every fit like Mark Martin who is short and probably optimal stock car material then you have someone like Micheal Waltrip who was around 6'5".
My definition of an activity that is not a sport is one that that can be done very well by anyone with sucess and minimal conditioning/training

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

497 posts, read 395,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datha16 View Post
Moved this thread to auto racing. Someone please and thank you.
Relax it was a mistake!!!1

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,581,819 times
I'm a race car driver.

Especially in the more powerful and faster classes of the sport, it is like running a marathon as your heart beats about 180 beats a minute sometimes. There is an incredible amount of G your body gets put under as racing cars way exceed what people experience in road cars. There is also tons of vibration, noise and heat. I can lose 5 pounds in one afternoon and I am completely soaked through with sweat, not to mention bruising as well. At the same time your body is being pummeled you have to have 100% concentration with what you are doing.

Essentially you have to train like any other pro athlete with a lot of concentration on things like your neck muscles. I train about 10 hours a week but I need more.

I know on tv it looks like you are just sitting there, but that isn't the case.

I see it all the time as I have done a quite a few instruction days with people that have never been on a racetrack. They've been playing their video games and watching on tv and it all looks so simple, turning the steering wheel a bit, flicking the gear lever. And then they get on track and reality sets in and they don't like it. Back to video games they go.

As I always tell newbies, with motor sport there is the fantasy of it and then there is the reality.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Relax it was a mistake!!!1
Actually the first mistake you made was you did not do a simple search to find a seven page thread already on this subject... I'm sure you will find the answer to your commonly asked question there:

Auto Racing,a sport?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM

445 posts, read 681,048 times
It isn't all physical.

Using you brain.............ability to think quickly and react accordingly............ it is all part of being an athlete.

Race car drivers ARE athletes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing