Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,401,785 times

Advertisements

I have a "Check Engine" light lit up on my 97 Silverado...i'm assuming it's an o2 sensor...there's 4 of those farkers on my truck!!

anyways, by unplugging the battery...maybe the battery needs replacing, won't that drop that light off temporarily??

and would the state inspection place be able to tell if that light was lit up prior to inspecting??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,962,981 times
Every State is going to have differing standards and differing things that the look for.

Not every State has emission control inspection as a part of their process either...which is where an Oxygen sensor would come into play.

Where I live (no emission check) a check engine light isn't a safety inspection matter.

I can't tell you for sure if disconnecting the battery will turn YOUR light off temporarily or not.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Every State is going to have differing standards and differing things that the look for.

Not every State has emission control inspection as a part of their process either...which is where an Oxygen sensor would come into play.

Where I live (no emission check) a check engine light isn't a safety inspection matter.

I can't tell you for sure if disconnecting the battery will turn YOUR light off temporarily or not.
i'm in PA, and there's emission checks here...and i called an inspection place, and they said if the lights on, then repairs will have to be done...

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,308,148 times
No it won't clear it. You need a code reader to clear the code. It might take a week or a day to come back on.

Some cars won't be "ready" for the inspection until after a certain amount of driving either after clearing the system, just an FYI.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM

alrighty...guess i'll bite the bullet.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,095,761 times
When the CEL comes on it means there is one or more trouble codes in the CM that indicate a problem with the emissions system. If you disconnect the battery and make the thing reset it cant not be tested at that time even though the light does go off for a short time. The car will NOT pass until the cause for the CEL to come on is corrected.You must have the car scanned for the code which will tell you which part of the system should be checked...Can be very simple or it can be complicated and expensive...You dont know at this time.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,194,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
I have a "Check Engine" light lit up on my 97 Silverado...i'm assuming it's an o2 sensor...there's 4 of those farkers on my truck!!
The Check Engine light can be cause by a hundred different things, from a faulty cam position sensor, to minor misfires, to o2 sensors, to bad cats, to a thermostat not letting the engine come completely up to temp, to something as simple as an improperly seated cas cap.

Don't assume. Many places will run the codes for free (like AutoZone). Once you know the codes and what they stand for, you can check forums for your vehicle to get a better idea of what the REAL problem can be (if not explicit, like CPS fault or misfire on a cyl.). For eample, for one kind of car, a lean condition might usually be caused by a bad MAF, for another, it may be common that an intake boot has a crack. People used to dealing with your truck would know best what is the most likely culprit on your exact vehicle.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,154,025 times
Cheat!

You can get that dash off in a matter of minutes, get behind the gauge unit and pull the bulb for the CEL. Either that or go find a shop that can overlook a few details. 9 times out of 10 the only thing wrong is a faulty sensor. No point in going through all those hoops to make a little light switch off when you can just remove it or find someone that will ignore it.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,876,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Cheat!

You can get that dash off in a matter of minutes, get behind the gauge unit and pull the bulb for the CEL
That'll do nothing for you if the vehicle is hooked up to the shops computer as part of the inspection.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,452,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Cheat!

You can get that dash off in a matter of minutes, get behind the gauge unit and pull the bulb for the CEL. Either that or go find a shop that can overlook a few details. 9 times out of 10 the only thing wrong is a faulty sensor. No point in going through all those hoops to make a little light switch off when you can just remove it or find someone that will ignore it.

I'd take the bet that it's more like 1 in 10 occurrences that come from an actual faulty sensor. Actually, I'll slide you a little credit. When I dug into my F150 over Good Friday weekend, I had P0171, P0174, P1131, P1151, and P0340...that last one was from the camshaft position sensor magnet being broken off and sitting in the synchronizer. So, 1 of 5 codes is a little more in your favor than I initially guessed.

Anyway, anywhere there is emissions inspections, the bulb operation will be checked, so pulling the bulb will do no good.

If you can get someone to risk losing their certification over a CEL, you're really damn convincing and need to look into selling used cars for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive