U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 8,967,979 times
Reputation: 3459

Advertisements

I own a 2005 Saturn Ion. It wasn't my choice of a car but it gets me from point A to point B and the gas mileage is decent.

In any case, I notice a very loose feeling when I make turns and when I am on the freeway. My car pulls a lot to the right.

A few months ago I took it to a mechanic for what I felt I needed was an alignment. Apparently I didn't need one and the guy just did something to my wheel bearing (at least that's what I think he said).

Long story short, I am still having the problem and I can't figure out what it is.

I want to take it to a mechanic and let them test drive to feel the problem BUT I have let my parents drive my car and they say they can't feel it.

Any suggestions on what to tell a mechanic?
My car feels very loose and out of control on the freeway and when I make turns. The last thing I want is to have a wreck because of this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,097 posts, read 14,470,635 times
Reputation: 7712
I'm not a mechanic, but has anyone looked at the tie rods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
8,831 posts, read 23,341,647 times
Reputation: 4824
OK, I will bite - first things first, how are your tires in terms of wear, how about tire pressure?

Did this come on gradually or did you hit a curb, big pothole etc. and then it started?

You may want to post up in your local forum to try to find a good mechanic/alignment shop.

Wandering feel to the steering *could* be incorrect toe-in/toe-out setting, the pulling can be incorrect camber (usually caster does not get out on FWD cars) or particularly one tire low on air, or dragging brakes. Without seeing the car I can't say if it's one of these or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 8,967,979 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but has anyone looked at the tie rods?
Tie rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, I will bite - first things first, how are your tires in terms of wear, how about tire pressure?

Did this come on gradually or did you hit a curb, big pothole etc. and then it started?

You may want to post up in your local forum to try to find a good mechanic/alignment shop.

Wandering feel to the steering *could* be incorrect toe-in/toe-out setting, the pulling can be incorrect camber (usually caster does not get out on FWD cars) or particularly one tire low on air, or dragging brakes. Without seeing the car I can't say if it's one of these or something else.
In terms of wear, they are good.
I did replace one tire a few months back because it had some sort of tear in it that couldn't be repaired.

I am known for hitting curbs. When I first got the car, I wasn't having the problem and over time, I have noticed the problem. Of course, as I've had the car, I have hit a number of curbs. Let's say 6 or 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
 
5,890 posts, read 4,701,397 times
Reputation: 2753
I would check the tie rods and CV joints. If they are good you should check your tires and alignment again. Often times a CV joint going will make a clicking/ticking or popping noise when you turn a corner. Get back with us when you rule this stuff out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,097 posts, read 14,470,635 times
Reputation: 7712
What Is A Tie Rod : How Car Stuff Works
The tie rod is part of the steering mechanism in a vehicle. A tie rod is a slender structural rod that is used as a tie and capable of carrying tensile loads only
The tie rod transmits force from the steering center link or the rack gear to the steering knuckle. This will cause the wheel to turn. The outer tie rod end connects with an adjusting sleeve, which allows the length of the tie rod to be adjustable. This adjustment is used to set a vehicle’s alignment angle.
A worn tie rod can cause wandering, erratic steering and also major tire wear. If a tie rod is necessary then a wheel alignment will also be required because tie rod replacement will disturb the alignment setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 8,967,979 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I would check the tie rods and CV joints. If they are good you should check your tires and alignment again. Often times a CV joint going will make a clicking/ticking or popping noise when you turn a corner. Get back with us when you rule this stuff out!
Thank you. I will give an update once I get it checked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What Is A Tie Rod : How Car Stuff Works
The tie rod is part of the steering mechanism in a vehicle. A tie rod is a slender structural rod that is used as a tie and capable of carrying tensile loads only
The tie rod transmits force from the steering center link or the rack gear to the steering knuckle. This will cause the wheel to turn. The outer tie rod end connects with an adjusting sleeve, which allows the length of the tie rod to be adjustable. This adjustment is used to set a vehicle’s alignment angle.
A worn tie rod can cause wandering, erratic steering and also major tire wear. If a tie rod is necessary then a wheel alignment will also be required because tie rod replacement will disturb the alignment setting.
Sailordave, I did some research on the tie rods and I bet that's what it is.

Thank you so much for your help, everyone who replied.

Payday is within the week and I plan to get it looked at VERY soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,097 posts, read 14,470,635 times
Reputation: 7712
If it is the tie rods, it's not cheap to replace but it's cheaper than the damage they'll cause if they separate on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 8,967,979 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If it is the tie rods, it's not cheap to replace but it's cheaper than the damage they'll cause if they separate on the road.
What should I expect to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
2,597 posts, read 3,970,840 times
Reputation: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
What should I expect to pay?
The price of hitting curbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top