Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

They're both rear wheel drive. They both come in 4 or 6 cylinders. And they both do corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They're both rear wheel drive. They both come in 4 or 6 cylinders. And they both do corners.
I think in a few years lots of younger kids will be getting them and tricking them out. I would say the are going to be the import version of the mustang GT. A great bang for the buck entry level sporty car and in 3-4 years the aftermaket will be flooded with performance parts for them.

I think they will be to kids and younger guys what the original 5.0 fox-body mustang was to my generation.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I think in a few years lots of younger kids will be getting them and tricking them out. I would say the are going to be the import version of the mustang GT. A great bang for the buck entry level sporty car and in 3-4 years the aftermaket will be flooded with performance parts for them.

I think they will be to kids and younger guys what the original 5.0 fox-body mustang was to my generation.
I was around when the 5.0 first showed up. It was Ford's first step to bringing back performance to the Mustang. By today's standards, those early 5.0 were slow. A V6 Camry or Civic Si can beat it on the drag, but compared to what was available at the time, it was quick.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The 240SX only came with a 4-cylinder, and only an N/A one in this market versus the turbo 4 (albeit a fairly weak one by today's standards) that serves as the base engine in the Genesis.

IMO the Genny Coupe is a more serious sports car than the 240SX was. The way the suspension on the 240SX was set up it was almost like a mini GT.

Like my brother once opined of the 240SX, "Nice car -- two cylinders shy of a great car."

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The 240SX only came with a 4-cylinder, and only an N/A one in this market versus the turbo 4 (albeit a fairly weak one by today's standards) that serves as the base engine in the Genesis.

IMO the Genny Coupe is a more serious sports car than the 240SX was. The way the suspension on the 240SX was set up it was almost like a mini GT.

Like my brother once opined of the 240SX, "Nice car -- two cylinders shy of a great car."
You're right. As hot as the last generation looked, I would have sworn it had a 6 cylinder option.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 PM

129 posts, read 359,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

IMO the Genny Coupe is a more serious sports car than the 240SX was.

Nissan did not market the 240sx right in the 90s. The Japanese counter part was powered by an SR20DET (4 cyl turbo) engine,as well as everywhere else in the world, and is with out a doubt the most popular sports car in Asia. It didnt end production until 2002 in the rest of the world.

Hyundai likes saying that the Genasis is the new Silvia, but I dont believe the Genisis willmake that bigof an impact as the Nissan S chassis did, for the simple fact that Toyota/subaru, nissan, and mazda will all have inexpensive performance RWD cars real soon. In the 90s, they did not have direct rivals. Other Japanese RWD sports cars in that time were the RX-7, Supra,and Skyline GTS: all of which were in a more expensive class.

Last edited by sbullet; 06-23-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Part of what made the 240sx what it is to people nowadays is the tuning scene. The 240sx started to gain momentum and popularity with that scene in the late 90's-early 2000's when more and more people realized they could ship over a way-more-powerful JDM engine and drop it straight in, then tuen the crap out of it. The stock 240sx suspension wasn't that good for really spirited driving, but the plethora of suspension offerings available overseas made it so that you could more or less buy a tired '89 240sx coupe for a couple grand or less, pop in a new engine, switch up to a bigger turbo and intercooler, put some decent coilovers on, and after six months of saving your earnings from dlipping burgers at Carl's Jr., have built a sleeper in your mom's garage that could shame a Porsche or BMW on the streets or the track.

Part of the problem with releasing a car that's supposed to be a "tuner" from the gate is that the tuning scene's base is mostly young men, under 25, whom *generally* don't have the sort of money to put down on a brand new car and a whole bunch of mods. It usually takes a few years for an abundance of performance options to hit the street: part of this due to time for R&D, and part of it because of the market. For instance, I own an S2000, and the number (and cost) of parts available now versus three years ago is surprising - because they're now cheaper, and so more tuners can afford them. It's as simple as that. Because of this, I think it'll probably take a few years for the Genesis to get up there in tuner popularity, and I doubt it'll ever reach 240sx status, or at least, it won't until Hyundai's lineup encompasses more RWD cars with swappable engines, and it dips in price to a few grand.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
With the upcoming Subaru/Toyota small coupe development being finished, I have my doubts, the FT-86 and the Subaru sister car both sport more composed looks, I think, not to mention that they'll both be powered with uprated versions of Subarus legendary 4-pot boxer, which makes the cars instantly eligable for engine transplants, something that's very common and very popular in the Subaru scene. Taking either of the cars and dropping and old 2.0L EJ20 into it with some work done, Cosworth pistons and pushrods etc, and you have a surprisingly cheap and incredibly durable 360-420hp engine in a very light car. That might very well be the death knell of the Genesis as a tuner hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive