U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

141 posts, read 533,669 times

Advertisements

re: Merc63 and others:
I'd buy the car here if they had ANY...but we live in a small town. We've almost always bought out-of-town for the only reason being, no one had it. Yes, I want a specific color with a specific interior color, plus certain options. There are NOT very many that are brand new that fall under that. I could wait for the 2011's, but we kinda need another car like last year. too many drivers and not enough cars. If we just needed another car, you are correct, there are many out there. But, I want my first luxury car. If this works out, both my husband and I will move up to the luxury sports cars. So, the car dealers would be selling 2 very expensive (for us) cars all dependent on this first car.
So we are wanting to buy a brand new car from an out-of-state dealer and are wanting to ship it to our door. This shipping I am looking into now (thats another story!). If this car deal falls through, my hubby can fly to my 2nd choice (3rd choice, too) and drive it back.
Oh, I am not wanting to cheat the gov't. I would expect the state to look at my car's invoice/bill and see exactly what I paid. I just don't want to pay twice or pay for a higher cost, when I truely did not pay that. I believe in being fair, not ripped off.
I want to know how to go about it, so I am not being taken advantage of. Unfortunately, I still find being female, I am.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When I lived in Wisconsin, the state contacted me and asked me how much the guy paid for the car I sold him. My response was "however much he said he paid." Never heard back from them.

Illinois has a more practical way of dealing with private-party sales: unless you pay more than $14,999 for the car, your tax is determined on a sliding scale depending on the model year starting at $390 for a car less than 1 year old down to $25 for a car that is 11 years old. If your car can reasonably be considered to have an FMV of $15K or less, you can use this schedule with no questions asked. But if you walk in trying to register a 1998 Ferrari F355 for $25, they're going to laugh you out of the office.
Teaxas actaully how goes by the book value of the car. Too mnay claimed paying $50.00 in past. You can protect but the seeler has to confirm i writing the price fro waht i am told.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
re: Merc63 and others:
I'd buy the car here if they had ANY...but we live in a small town. We've almost always bought out-of-town for the only reason being, no one had it. Yes, I want a specific color with a specific interior color, plus certain options. There are NOT very many that are brand new that fall under that. I could wait for the 2011's, but we kinda need another car like last year. too many drivers and not enough cars. If we just needed another car, you are correct, there are many out there. But, I want my first luxury car. If this works out, both my husband and I will move up to the luxury sports cars. So, the car dealers would be selling 2 very expensive (for us) cars all dependent on this first car.
So we are wanting to buy a brand new car from an out-of-state dealer and are wanting to ship it to our door. This shipping I am looking into now (thats another story!). If this car deal falls through, my hubby can fly to my 2nd choice (3rd choice, too) and drive it back.
Oh, I am not wanting to cheat the gov't. I would expect the state to look at my car's invoice/bill and see exactly what I paid. I just don't want to pay twice or pay for a higher cost, when I truely did not pay that. I believe in being fair, not ripped off.
I want to know how to go about it, so I am not being taken advantage of. Unfortunately, I still find being female, I am.
Then it is all very easy. We've done it many a time. You will pay no taxes to the state your buying in. Shipping will be totally yours, or you can have the dealer drop ship it to a like dealer in your state.
Your other alternative is to go to a dealer near you...they can arrange to buy the car for you...and have it delivered to that dealership. You do lose some of your bargaining powers tho. We have always found the car and flew the destination and drove it home. Always a fun roadtrip!
Bring all your paperwork to your friendly neighbor DMV and it is quite painless...except for the writing of the tax check. They will issue you temp plates.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM

shelbygirl: thanks!
please any advice on to how to go about buying this car online. yes, I hate to bypass the local dealer, but they aren't too happy with me wanting a car out of their 'area' that they could just trade vehicles. hubby most likely will fly to the car then drive it back. any advice on that, please?
it is a brand new car.
ps...my kids LOVED your two black cars you had in the picture. think one was a gt something. I told them to save their money now... (they are young)

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
Yes, from a dealership, you should pay taxes in your home state, although as other posts have shown, it can be complicated with some jurisdictions. And, it's much easier to deal with them. As to the car, if it's not as depicted, I would just walk away from the deal, and you're only out your travel costs, which is less than being stuck with a vehicle that's more expensive. If you are buying a certified pre-owned, from the franchised dealer, I would count on the deal being as stated, since you can always address the issue with the manufacturer's consumer complaint department.

An independent mechanical investigation is always a good idea, and you can find some mobile services that will meet you on the lot to determine the condition of the vehicle. You can use a company like National Automobile Inspection Service to check the car and give their independent report to you. You could even have this done from your home, so that if the vehicle is not as represented, you are only out the mechanic's fee, not an extra weekend vacation to a city that you might not want to visit.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM

We have always dealt with "Internet Sales" when buying from out of State. In fact, we have a order in on car now, buying from out of State. Basically, your e-mail is agreeing to buying the car...with a refundable deposit, should the car not be exactly as portrayed. In our case, we ordered the car to our specs...but stated only certain amt. of mileage is to be put on the car...and secured away from the public's access. We were quite firm...any scratches, mars, etc...and we would not take possession of the car. All paper work is done when you arrive at the Dealership.
Even tho your buying over the Internet, you still have bargaining power. Do your homework to find what exactly the car is worth. Some "perks" to throw in on the deal are mats, tinting, clearcoat bra, locking wheel nuts and even additional warranties. Decide how much you want to pay for the car...over, under, or at MSRP( And this will depend on the car and it's rarity and/ or popularity) and work from there adding all the perks.

PS...I had to go take a look to see what pics I had posted of what cars! Yes...the 2 black...one is a Ford GT and the other is BMW Z8...and thank you for the compliments!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM

11,563 posts, read 17,491,775 times
People can only answer if you tell us what state you are buying from, and what state you reside in, all the other responses you see may not be correct for your situation, so be advised. Sales tax laws vary by state. Check with your state and the state you will be purchasing with.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,867,845 times
ShelbyGirl1, I was looking at the pictures of your cars and was wondering why none have front plates on them?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM

thanks. we are going to go for it, so wish us luck. it is a brand new car, so you would think nothing would be wrong with it. but, we will test it all out before we hand over the money. enjoy your car when you get it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
ShelbyGirl1, I was looking at the pictures of your cars and was wondering why none have front plates on them?
LOL...SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...do you really have to ask?
Have never put a front plate on any of the "speciality" cars...we do carry in the front foot well tho.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 06-29-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or