Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

If the rack is leaking that can be an expensive fix too.

Did you just assume the tranny was bad or does it not shift right or drop out of gear? A bad tranny typically goes bad in reverse first, ie you'll lose that gear first.

Change the fluid in the tranny as well, just a simple drain and refill, that will help renew it.

My wife's car has been burning a quart every 700-1000 miles for the past 4 years and 30,000 miles. It's way cheaper to just add oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Agreed, a car that burns a little oil can be perfectly servicable so long as the driver(s) check the oil regularly and add when needed.

Unless you are blowing a lot of blue smoke out the exhaust the oil burning won't cost you enough extra money in oil compared to what you spend for gas anyway to make any practical difference in your cost per mile.

I have had good luck with Castrol High-Mileage oil in older cars, in terms of it softening the seals to the point that leaking and/or burning is reduced.

The old long-screwdriver-to-ear trick can help you ID what is whining. PS pumps do whine, I have never heard what I personally would call a "whine" from an engine, but of course I have not heard every engine out there either.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If the rack is leaking that can be an expensive fix too.

Did you just assume the tranny was bad or does it not shift right or drop out of gear? A bad tranny typically goes bad in reverse first, ie you'll lose that gear first.

Change the fluid in the tranny as well, just a simple drain and refill, that will help renew it.

My wife's car has been burning a quart every 700-1000 miles for the past 4 years and 30,000 miles. It's way cheaper to just add oil.
We just assumed since the mechanic has been talking about it for a while because of the whine. With reading about engine noises on the internet and what happened when our son was driving I am leaning more toward the pump as the problem. We haven't had any problems with it shifting at all so that is why we were keeping an eye on things and not fixing anything.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
[ I HATE dealing with car issues.[/quote]

150 years ago they said the same thing about horses. Anytime you get away from shoe leather, you're going to have additional problems.

My advice to customers is to consider what they will buy instead. If you can't afford to buy a new car, most used cars will also have issues. At least if you pay for a tranny rebuild (from a good shop, as other posters have noted) you know that component is good.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
150 years ago they said the same thing about horses. Anytime you get away from shoe leather, you're going to have additional problems.

My advice to customers is to consider what they will buy instead. If you can't afford to buy a new car, most used cars will also have issues. At least if you pay for a tranny rebuild (from a good shop, as other posters have noted) you know that component is good.
We never buy new, not worth the money. We "have" the money, we just don't want to spend it .

Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
The one thing that consumers are NOT aware of is the difference between the term "NEW"..."REMANUFACTURED"..."REBUILT".

BIG BIG DIFFERENCE.

"NEW" is just that...all the parts are factory assembled brand NEW.

"REMANUFACTURED" is using the basic component and replacing a majority of the interior parts.

"REBUILT" is where the basic component is retained and interior parts are inspected while only the faulty or broken parts are replaced with "NEW" parts bringing the unit up to original factory specs. Only one or two parts could be replaced and new gskts added thus called a "REBUILT".

On a Automatic trans it is possible to just replace the clutches/bands and a front/rear pump and the result is a functional servicing trans for many miles.

My dad (retired mechanic) had his Cad (low miles) break down on the Fwy and a trans shop tried to say he needed a "REBUILT" tranny. Dad told them that he used to rebuild them and all it needed was a NEW rear pump...for them to do it with no warranty needed. They did and dad drove away with a it working just fine.

Steve

Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,891,948 times
My 1997 Saturn SC2 burned oil like crazy, seemed to be a common issue in those engines.

Trade it in and buy you or your wife a nice new(er) car and give the kids your current ride. Everyone wins Just tell yourself the kids are getting a safer vehicle!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
My 1997 Saturn SC2 burned oil like crazy, seemed to be a common issue in those engines.

Trade it in and buy you or your wife a nice new(er) car and give the kids your current ride. Everyone wins Just tell yourself the kids are getting a safer vehicle!
Well, I am the "wife" and my current ride is a minivan-the kids would rather have the sporty looking Saturn .

Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 AM

34 posts, read 36,106 times
I think you can try to fix it .

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Well, the car is fixed. It turns out it was the serpentine belt so our potential new car turned into a $114 repair .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive